GDT: rings@note

Status
Not open for further replies.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Why does it have to be "blind faith" just because we acknowledge his numbers compared with the rest of the league being much better than the mutterings around here would indicate?

This board gets so hard to take some times. I feel like the mood and opinion for every single issue is hooked to a fire hose. Folks have to have it all the way on or all the way off. Can't anyone have a nuanced realistic view of things that doesn't include extreme views, without being painted by others as being a pollyanna? Its insulting, and it stifles mature discussion.

And what do the Gauls have to do with anything anyway?

The insulting thing is how pissed off some people get when you even suggest that Elliot isn't the second coming.

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011
Detroit fan coming in peace.

What did you guys think of Mrazek? Before you guys say he's super aggressive (which he very much is)...that's just his thing. But he's super athletic to make up for it if he needs to, however.

I believe this game was his REAL first test for Detroit, to see how he handles the pressure.

Anyway. He's kind of just laying below the radar right now. Just wanted to get your guys' thoughts on him.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site

What did you guys think of Mrazek? Before you guys say he's super aggressive (which he very much is)...that's just his thing. But he's super athletic to make up for it if he needs to, however.

I believe this game was his REAL first test for Detroit, to see how he handles the pressure.

Anyway. He's kind of just laying below the radar right now. Just wanted to get your guys' thoughts on him.

Looked good! Made saves at key times and didn't give up any softies

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
The insulting thing is how pissed off some people get when you even suggest that Elliot isn't the second coming.

I like how you quoted a chunk of text within which was a plea for less extremism in both directions, then said this.

I'm squarely in the pro-Elliott camp, and I don't think anyone here has ever tried to claim that Elliott is one of the league's elite goalies. He is however pretty darn good, as is evident by his great numbers and not my blind faith.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
I just don't really see what your reasons for thinking Elliott is not a great goalie are. You haven't presented any. You can say all you want that he is "average at best" but the evidence claims otherwise and facts don't lie. He isn't one of the best but he is very good.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

Except I've not seen one person suggest Elliott is the second coming. They are arguing that he hasn't been the problem in the playoffs, and the numbers back that up. Elliott is significantly superior to Allen and Brodeur at this point and there are few logical arguments to suggest otherwise.

Elliott has had 1 healthy playoff series as a Blue. One. I'd say he deserves a better look, particularly when he wasn't the reason we lost that series.

I don't think anyone is going to argue that Brian Elliott is going to carry a team to the Cup, but the goalies that can are few and far between. Put it this way... does anyone actually believe that if we had Corey Crawford we would have faired any better in our series' against the Kings and 'Hawks in the last 2 years?

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
You can chalk Fuhr's cups up to this fantasy world where he was some insanely good goalie. Or you can say somehow his numbers are all average even though he played on an all star team because the Oilers played "wide open" lol.

Yeah, we all know the super rich talent pool that the NHL had sniping against Fuhr all during those Oiler days.

Let's go back and look at one year. Let's pick 1984. Look at the actual all stars Fuhr had to muster the courage to face.

Darcy Rota
Charlie Simmer
John Ogrodnick
Rick Vaive
Brian Propp
Don Maloney

I mean c'mon those names would probably keep most goalies from even suiting up!!

Seriously, I get that some people live in the glory days etc.. I saw Fuhr play plenty vs today's talent and or the likes of CuJo. Fuhr was not on the same level as CuJo and would possibly not even be a starting goalie in the NHL today in his prime.

If you want to see CuJo at his best go back and watch the 96 World Cup final between Canada and the US. Both Cujo & Richter stood on their heads that entire 3 game series. Fuhr was never close to that good.

Now if you want to retort with anything substantial point me in the direction that shows the proof other than Fuhr's cups. Show me Fuhr making all these "key" saves. Point me to one series where Fuhr stole the show or really made the difference.

I'm all ears.

Last edited by a moderator:

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
You can chalk Fuhr's cups up to this fantasy world where he was some insanely good goalie. Or you can say somehow his numbers are all average even though he played on an all star team because the Oilers played "wide open" lol.

Yeah, we all know the super rich talent pool that the NHL had sniping against Fuhr all during those Oiler days.

Let's go back and look at one year. Let's pick 1984. Look at the actual all stars Fuhr had to muster the courage to face.

Darcy Rota
Charlie Simmer
John Ogrodnick
Rick Vaive
Brian Propp
Don Maloney

I mean c'mon those names would probably keep most goalies from even suiting up!!

Seriously, I get that some people live in the glory days etc.. I saw Fuhr play plenty vs today's talent and or the likes of CuJo. Fuhr was not on the same level as CuJo and would possibly not even be a starting goalie in the NHL today in his prime.

If you want to see CuJo at his best go back and watch the 96 World Cup final between Canada and the US. Both Cujo & Richter stood on their heads that entire 3 game series. Fuhr was never close to that good.

Now if you want to retort with anything substantial point me in the direction that shows the proof other than Fuhr's cups. Show me Fuhr making all these "key" saves. Point me to one series where Fuhr stole the show or really made the difference.

I'm all ears.

I already did point out that series and you completely ignored it. I can only surmise you didn't watch him frustrating Toronto to the point that Kypreos felt the need to land very deliberately on Fuhrs leg after being shoved by Pronger. Fuhr was playing excellent hockey and had been really good all year.

It was a chance to ride a rejuvenated Grant Fuhr deep that ended with an injury and having to start Jon Casey against Detroit the following round. I remember watching Yzerman scoring the series winner on Casey from the blueline and just shaking my head.

So that's just the one series you asked for.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

Very good goalie, he was your difference maker in that game.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
I already did point out that series and you completely ignored it. I can only surmise you didn't watch him frustrating Toronto to the point that Kypreos felt the need to land very deliberately on Fuhrs leg after being shoved by Pronger. Fuhr was playing excellent hockey and had been really good all year.

It was a chance to ride a rejuvenated Grant Fuhr deep that ended with an injury and having to start Jon Casey against Detroit the following round. I remember watching Yzerman scoring the series winner on Casey from the blueline and just shaking my head.

So that's just the one series you asked for.

I don't think you remember that season exactly right. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

For starters Fuhr played almost every regular season game. So Casey saw an extremely limited time in net. No backup today sees the kind of limited ice time he did.

Secondly, Fuhr played 1 game of the first round against Toronto. I'm not sure when exactly Fuhr got hurt in game 2 but it seems like it was very early.

So the series you want to propose as the highlight of Fuhr's career is 1 game vs Toronto?

Edit: Don't forget the Blues were up 3 games to 2 vs Detroit. There was nobody saying Casey had let them down at that point.
Plus in game 7 the Yzerman goal was the only goal of the game. Casey stopped 39/40 shots. I would say that's giving your team a fair chance to win.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad