Rinaldo, Carcillo or Downie?

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Downie has skill, so I don't think this will be close. Easily the best.

I prefer Rinaldo to Carcillo.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
When he was on the Flyers I would have said Carcillo, but I haven't been a fan of his since he left and started mouthing off about the Flyers. I'd say Downie, then Rinaldo, then Carcillo.

Evergreen

Downie - he had the greatest offensive ability. He can actually line up in a top-9 role and contribute to the scoring. Carcillo is second, I guess, but I never liked him either. He does have better offensive ability than Rinaldo, but that doesn't exactly mean very much.

kicksave27

Nov 29, 2007
Two are marginal NHLers, the other is a legit forward, it's not really even a comparison.

JayB

May 30, 2012
Why Downie isnt play here anymore? And what it takes to bring him back?

Last edited:

kammy

Jun 29, 2007
Why Downie isnt play here anymore? And what it takes to bring him back?

Rinaldo > Downie > Carbomb

gotta go with Rinaldo. despite Downie's skillset, he was always a liability.
although Rinaldo gets lots of bad calls against him, he is the perfect sparkplug player. he's the underdog who fights guys much larger and wins, and knows when the right time to fight is. he wont throw a punch at a guy laying on the ice. he will keep his gloves on and let a opposing player to take a penalty so we can get on the PP.
he pretty much does everything in his ability to help this team. gotta admire a guy like that.
now if he can increase his point production, I will like him even more :)

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
They're all so different.

Rinaldo has no upside. He is what he is.

Downie was a 1st round pick. Meant to be skillful, but is crazy at times.

Carcillo was a 3rd rounder I think with good skill, but is more likely to be CarBomb than Carcillo.

Carcillo always entertained me the most. I'm GOING WITH CARBOMB!

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
noneoftheabove.jpg

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
We traded him and Steven Eminger to the Lightning for Matt Carle about 4 years back.

And let Matt Carle walk.....

So basically we got Eminger for Carlson (even if maybe we wouldn't have drafted him)...traded Eminger and Downie for Carle b/c we needed a Carlson type and now we have ZILCH to show for all of it....cool!

Anyway, I like Rinaldo but Downie was more talented obviously. Carcillo was ok but I consider him a punk after bad mouthing the Flyers..mostly Lavi.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

So basically we got Eminger for Carlson (even if maybe we wouldn't have drafted him)...traded Eminger and Downie for Carle b/c we needed a Carlson type and now we have ZILCH to show for all of it....cool!

Anyway, I like Rinaldo but Downie was more talented obviously. Carcillo was ok but I consider him a punk after bad mouthing the Flyers..mostly Lavi.

Would you have thought it was better to A) Trade Carle at the deadline last year or B) Pay him that obscene contract?

I'm fine with letting him walk.

RJ8812*

we let him walk because he isn't a $5.5m defenseman. You can't fault Homer for letting him walk 4 years AFTER we traded for him

stupid logic

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
we let him walk because he isn't a $5.5m defenseman. You can't fault Homer for letting him walk 4 years AFTER we traded for him

stupid logic

No stupid logic is letting a player walk and not getting anything in return whatsoever...

If the Flyers felt he wasn't coming back b/c he would be overpaid (which didn't seem like the case b/c Homer thought he could get a home team discount) they should have at least attempted to trade him for something...I mean totally stupid botch job on Holmgren's part..sorry dude.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
eh I am not going to fault Holmgren on leting Carle walk. He thought he could resign him in the offseason. Holmgren decided to go after Weber(really cannot fault him for that) and Carle decided to take the money and run.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
eh I am not going to fault Holmgren on leting Carle walk. He thought he could resign him in the offseason. Holmgren decided to go after Weber(really cannot fault him for that) and Carle decided to take the money and run.

Well he thought wrong and mismanged an asset.....people wanting to give Holmgren a mulligan seem more to do so b/c they didn't like Carle. Not everybody is being an apologist for this reason but it exists. When all is said and done he miscalculated and didn't think things through enough b/c he felt Carle wasn't a priority. Having nothing to show for an asset considering all the other assets that were involved (minus Eminger) is why we keep having farm problems..not the entire reason but part of it ..at least in this instance.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The Carle situation got completely ruined by Reasoner(I think?) getting signed to a stupid contract, setting the bar too high to begin with.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
The Carle situation got completely ruined by Reasoner(I think?) getting signed to a stupid contract, setting the bar too high to begin with.

Doesn't really change the fact that Holmgren mismanaged an asset and got ZILCH return. I mean we've gotten picks for complete shlubs in the past. When the Flyers signed Coburn over Carle and then Holmgren comes out in public and says we can keep Carle for cheap and then shelves him while pursuing Weber, Suter and Parise (which I don't necessarily fault) he let events dictate the outcome ....IMO Holmgren was too negligent (not proactive enough to maxamize Carle's value) .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad