Value of: riley nash with salary retained

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I don't follow Columbus hockey... not sure how the 'fans' feel he has fit in. not sure how they think about his 3 year deal at 2.75 mill... I do notice he has only 2 assists in 18 games so im going to guess hes not popular

when he was here in boston… we saw a lot of play from him where he just wasn't that engaged... where he was competent in his positioning but didn't really seem to dig in to win battles. where he wouldn't take risks offensively to create any chances but just made safe vanilla plays

if that's your 13th forward on a minimum salary... you are ok... but if its a guy making 2.75 mill you got a problem

so im posting my first ever value of post. its not a sexy player but it is a guy who fit bostons needs quite well last year. he might have only been playing for a contract but the guy we saw... did give a damn... and more than that, he actually had chemistry on both our 3rd line and even with marchand/pastrnak

I couldn't begin to touch him at 2.75 million so my question is only at salary retained. what do you Columbus fans want for him

or what would other fans bases offer for him that we have to beat?

my idea for an offer...

peter cehlarik
and a 3rd round pick
for
riley nash 1/2 retained

honestly I think cehlarik can be an nhl regular in the bottom 6... so I think its a fairly decent offer. but then again, I think riley nash would be a fairly decent addition to what boston has if the contract fit

Reactions: thebus88

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
First warning: there's probably some folks right now who would jump at nearly anything you offer. To say Nash has been unpopular is a gross understatement - your description of his being "competent in positioning but not digging in" is depressingly accurate.

That said... the idea behind signing him was that we were hoping to get a center. I don't know Cehlarik at all beyond what can be found via a quick Google search, but when one sees a 23-year-old winger in the AHL, that sets off alarm bells. I'm not sure if the kid would have space to play on the roster here.

It could be that this is a perfectly fine offer, but given what little I can find of what we're getting, and given that we're accepting dead cap for the next three years, I'd be inclined to give it a little while longer and see if Nash can find similar chemistry with some of our own players before I give up on him. I mean, if he was up to this in Boston as well, then maybe it's something he can break out of here as well. :dunno:

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I don't follow Columbus hockey... not sure how the 'fans' feel he has fit in. not sure how they think about his 3 year deal at 2.75 mill... I do notice he has only 2 assists in 18 games so im going to guess hes not popular

when he was here in boston… we saw a lot of play from him where he just wasn't that engaged... where he was competent in his positioning but didn't really seem to dig in to win battles. where he wouldn't take risks offensively to create any chances but just made safe vanilla plays

if that's your 13th forward on a minimum salary... you are ok... but if its a guy making 2.75 mill you got a problem

so im posting my first ever value of post. its not a sexy player but it is a guy who fit bostons needs quite well last year. he might have only been playing for a contract but the guy we saw... did give a damn... and more than that, he actually had chemistry on both our 3rd line and even with marchand/pastrnak

I couldn't begin to touch him at 2.75 million so my question is only at salary retained. what do you Columbus fans want for him

or what would other fans bases offer for him that we have to beat?

my idea for an offer...

peter cehlarik
and a 3rd round pick
for
riley nash 1/2 retained

honestly I think cehlarik can be an nhl regular in the bottom 6... so I think its a fairly decent offer. but then again, I think riley nash would be a fairly decent addition to what boston has if the contract fit

That's a lot of dead cap space for the loss of the player, and the return.

Columbus would be better off keeping him.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
That's a lot of dead cap space for the loss of the player, and the return.

Columbus would be better off keeping him.

what would you want though im wondering? I don't know Columbus at all. im surprised they went after him in the first place. I think hes a pretty good pk for the most part... and he can play center ice on a 4th line without getting hurt

where I was worried was that he was going to be paid as a 40 point guy. I think 20-25 points in a typical season would be more to be expected. for me, its all about the cost

does Columbus have any elc guys that are being blocked by nash? when you can trade 1/2 a contract of someone you don't have a lot of use for... and replace him with someone at 1/2 the cost you wanted in your lineup... that can make sense

I think boston could trade accari for nash and it would make sense for boston if the salary was balanced. accari has a motor in him and competes every shift but doesn't have as much hockey ability as nash. accari is purely a 4th line crash and bang

would that appeal to Columbus?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
what would you want though im wondering? I don't know Columbus at all. im surprised they went after him in the first place. I think hes a pretty good pk for the most part... and he can play center ice on a 4th line without getting hurt

where I was worried was that he was going to be paid as a 40 point guy. I think 20-25 points in a typical season would be more to be expected. for me, its all about the cost

does Columbus have any elc guys that are being blocked by nash? when you can trade 1/2 a contract of someone you don't have a lot of use for... and replace him with someone at 1/2 the cost you wanted in your lineup... that can make sense

I think boston could trade accari for nash and it would make sense for boston if the salary was balanced. accari has a motor in him and competes every shift but doesn't have as much hockey ability as nash. accari is purely a 4th line crash and bang

would that appeal to Columbus?
If Acciari was better in the faceoff circle, we'd find that intriguing. As is, tho...

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
The 3rd round pick was too much. Columbus overpaid for a career year of Riley Nash. Lets not give them assets for their mistake. You still gave up too much for 1.4M AAV for the next 3 years.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Its safe to say the Nash signing was for insurance on a couple/few guys, but them along with a couple more guys all seem like better options at the moment. Like what has been brought up, all these other guys, from Dubinsky to even Sedlak and Hannikainen seem to bring something to the ice, whereas Nash does just seem to be there. However, he also doesn't seem to be a liability in any way.

The signing was just unnecessary... 3 years definitely is a head scratcher. But, the CBJ forwards have been essentially completely healthy all year, so that will affect his ice time, usage and impact.

Maybe the 3rd rounder with 750k-1 million retained. We wouldnt need or want another player back imo.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
At $1.4m I'd rather keep Nash. If the team ends up in a cap crunch someday, he'd be first to go, but as is we need the insurance at center and we've barely tried with him.

If he's at $2m per, then I might take a Nash - Acciari trade seriously. Not sure.

To say Nash has been unpopular is a gross understatement

I don't think we really care that much do we? The team is scoring plenty and we kind of forget he's there.

I wonder if he's suited for the physical game the Jackets like to play. I've been wondering if a Calvert-Nash swap would make sense.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
There was a piece in The Athletic in just the past two days featuring Nash. Basically he acknowledged that he has been a slow start in Columbus. I found the most interesting part of the article when Nash admitted that Boston plays a more structured game, meaning the d-men move the puck side to side until the forwards are in their proper positions. Nash contrasted that Tortorella wants the Columbus D-men to go North-South "now". The thinking is this movement combined with team speed will create chaos and open looks from high-danger zones. This obviously would lead to goals. The quotes from associate coaches, front office and Nash himself led most all to believe that the "feeling out period" is almost over and Nash would begin to produce more to the level of the contract.

You are correct - tonight is Game #20. Nash has 2 points (assists only). If we get to game 80 and he has 8 points, it will be a terrible return on investment. I can't comment on the value of your trade proposal. I'm only sharing what I read relative to the player you are featuring in your OP.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
He has only 2 points and is about 40% in faceoffs which is pretty disappointing. But he doesn't look slow or anything. I think the Jackets just keep him and hope for the best.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
He’s fine. He’s getting fourth line icetime between Hannikainen and Sedlak with pk time, defensive zone faceoffs (Torts is subbing him in as an extra center or in place of other less reliable defensive players), etc. Sure he hasn’t produced as much as expected. Hard to complain about anyone right now when the team is winning. He’s also not blocking anyone in an ELC from coming up and playing. His signing was insurance because Wennberg and Dubinsky were terrible last year. It may be too much money so far, but I wouldn’t say it’s a problem. We didn’t sign him for 7.5M over 3 years, only to have him play 20 games, and then retain 3M. Let him play it out and work out the system and find some chemistry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad