Confirmed with Link: Riley Holzapfel signs in Sweden

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Another one lost for WBS: two-way forward Riley Holzapfel signed a 2-year deal with HV71 in the Swedish Hockey League where he will join former Baby Pen Brett Sterling. HV71 (based in Jönköping) is a competitive team coached by longtime NHLer Ulf Dahlen, they won 3 titles in the past 10 years.

That's 2/3 of Wilkes-Barre's top line gone, along with captain Joey Mormina and Dylan Reese. Time to bring in some new veterans.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Baby Pens beat writer Jon Bombulie has come up with his annual AHL free agents list here. More than enough veterans around every summer, we just have to get the right ones.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
I actually had some hopes of Holzaplfel getting a taste of the NHL next seson. He was reallyproductive last season. I also thought he wass RFA? Maybe we didnt give qualify him?

Suprised by this tbh. Would have loved to kept him.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Baby Pens beat writer Jon Bombulie has come up with his annual AHL free agents list here. More than enough veterans around every summer, we just have to get the right ones.

There's probably going to be some prospects/young players as well available who might not be able to have an impact on another team.

What's the F for WBS looking like?

Good to see that Mancari is on the list. Recommended him/said his name in the Prospect forum.

MichiganWolverines

Big Mac Attack
Jul 3, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
I like Ryan Hamilton (if he is released into free-agency). He is a big physical winger with some offensive upside. He performed well when he got re-called from the Toronto Marlies.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
He was qualified by the Pens but took the 2 year deal in Sweden, likely for more money too. I doubt Pittsburgh offered him more than 1 year. And HV71 will have two former Chicago Wolves teammates of his, Sterling and Jason Krog. The latter has been there for a while, I guess he sold him on the SHL.

For now we still hold his North America rights since he got a QO. But he will be a Group VI UFA (25 or older with less than 80 NHL games) next summer so he's pretty much gone.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Lotta good young players weren't qualified as RFAs.. there's some intriguing names that can probably replace Holzapfel pretty easily.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Definitely need to bring in some talented offensive guys for WBS, Brians Gibbons is the highest returning scorer currently with 30 points in 70 games. OT but CPZ has signed with Lausitzer Füchse of Germany2.

Solution

May 20, 2010
Cheswick, PA
What about Nick Johnson as a signee? I would like to see them re-sign Nesbitt, Smith, and Peters. Also I am wondering about the return of Ryan Craig. His leadership might be nice with Mormina leaving. I remember how everybody raved about his leadership skills in WBS in his previous tenure.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
I would guess Nick Johnson is done riding buses around the AHL. If he doesn't get another NHL deal he's probably headed to Europe. Warren Peters can be our next captain if he stays, he's that veteran warrior type you want for that job.

Solution

May 20, 2010
Cheswick, PA
I agree with Peters. I was just thinking that another veteran leader might help a young team. I was thinking that Johnson would give them some scoring punch in the AHL as well as being an NHL call-up. What is the Penguins situation with the contracts? I am thinking that they are around 35 or so right now until they get some of the RFA's signed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad