Speculation: Rights to unsigned (KHL) Players (drafted)

davinhimself

Nov 9, 2009
Queens, NY
Hey All,

Question about rights for drafted players who sign contracts / extensions in the KHL (and other leagues).
Specifically, as an Islander fan, I'm curious about Ilya Sorokin. Since he signed a KHL extension, I've heard conflicting opinions about whether the team would still hold his rights after his contract expires should he decide to come to North America.

Does anyone have any good sources/info for how drafted players rights are handled coming over from the KHL / other leagues?

Just want to better understand this dynamic and how/why players like Hayes/Schultz were able to get to UFA due to not signing with the team who drafted them...

Thanks!

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
4 years for euros after some googling. I think that means Sorokin's rights expire after the 2018-2019 season.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
There is no transfer agreement with the KHL, so the Islanders retain the rights to Ilya Sorokin until 30 June 2023. That would be the first time he is eligible for UFA.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
There is no transfer agreement with the KHL, so the Islanders retain the rights to Ilya Sorokin until 30 June 2023. That would be the first time he is eligible for UFA.

This seems to be the consensus I've seen from people who are paid to know. Essentially, Russian players NHL rights are owned semi-permanently by the team that drafted them. UFA or trade are the only things that get them away from that team.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The Rangers drafted Ilya Gorokhov in 1995 yet held his rights, per the team's website, until like 2013. So I don't know how that works. It's different for guys in the KHL than for European players as there's no transfer agreement with the KHL.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
The Rangers drafted Ilya Gorokhov in 1995 yet held his rights, per the team's website, until like 2013. So I don't know how that works. It's different for guys in the KHL than for European players as there's no transfer agreement with the KHL.

Rules were different under old CBAs.

Generally its 4 years for European players from their draft year if there is exchange agreements.

If a player goes tot he KHL then teams retain their rights until they are UFAs.

Even then teams can retain rights beyond that due to special circumstances such as sides agree to arbitration then player signs with KHL.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007

Since there is no transfer agreement in place between NHL and KHL, the Islanders basically retain the rights to Ilya Sorokin indefinately. The UFA age does not apply here. Sorokin is classified as a 'defected player' and thus CBA article 10.2 (b) and League By-Law Section 15 are the applicable rules here. Those are complicated rules but essentially it comes down to Islanders owning the rights to Sorokin indefinately. Commissioner Bettman would need to rule him as a free agent if certain conditions are met and for Islanders to lose his rights at any point. Lets just say that's highly unlikely to happen, therefore Islanders retain his rights indefinately.

Reactions: Maylo

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Yup, without the transfer agreement rights are held indefinitely. The reasoning makes sense--if there's no transfer agreement then there's never a guarantee the drafting team ever has an opportunity to sign the player.

I think these players still count against the 90 man reserve list, and teams are free to renounce their rights to these players if they chose to.

Searching the NHL player list reveals some names who rights are still being held past UFA age:

Anton Krysanov - drafted 2005 by Arizona
Sergei Gayduchenko - drafted 2007 by Florida

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Since there is no transfer agreement in place between NHL and KHL, the Islanders basically retain the rights to Ilya Sorokin indefinately. The UFA age does not apply here. Sorokin is classified as a 'defected player' and thus CBA article 10.2 (b) and League By-Law Section 15 are the applicable rules here. Those are complicated rules but essentially it comes down to Islanders owning the rights to Sorokin indefinately. Commissioner Bettman would need to rule him as a free agent if certain conditions are met and for Islanders to lose his rights at any point. Lets just say that's highly unlikely to happen, therefore Islanders retain his rights indefinately.

Yup, without the transfer agreement rights are held indefinitely. The reasoning makes sense--if there's no transfer agreement then there's never a guarantee the drafting team ever has an opportunity to sign the player.

I think these players still count against the 90 man reserve list, and teams are free to renounce their rights to these players if they chose to.

Searching the NHL player list reveals some names who rights are still being held past UFA age:

Anton Krysanov - drafted 2005 by Arizona
Sergei Gayduchenko - drafted 2007 by Florida

And these same rules would apply to Gusev and VGK, right?

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Have a feeling Sorokin isn't going to make it as an islander. Would imagine he's a throw in to some sort of trade in the future. Garth can afford to do this with Soderstrom in the system.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
And these same rules would apply to Gusev and VGK, right?

Yes, applies to all drafted players from a European league with no transfer agreement (Russia, Switzerland...) with the NHL. Once those players sign their ELC's (/first NHL-contracts), then they fall into RFA/UFA-system in regards to how long teams hold their rights, but prior to that teams hold their rights basically indefinitely.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Would think so. Don't see any reason why Gusev would be different.

Yes, applies to all drafted players from a European league with no transfer agreement (Russia, Switzerland...) with the NHL. Once those players sign their ELC's (/first NHL-contracts), then they fall into RFA/UFA-system in regards to how long teams hold their rights, but prior to that teams hold their rights basically indefinitely.

Yeah, that's what I thought - thanks for confirming. Lots of TB fans laughing at McPhee thinking they'll just sign Gusev in two years, but I didn't think that was the case.

In fact, I'm convinced the reason that Gusev re-signed in the KHL for two more years, is so that when he does come over to Vegas in summer 2019, he can sign a one-year ELC that'll take him right to UFA (which makes perfect sense to me).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad