Righteous Rants and Egregious Gripes Trades & Free Agency Edition

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
What really ticks you off about the Sabres performance at the opening of free agency? What free agents didn't they pursue that they should have? What trades did you want them to make? What did they do that you really hate?

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
I'm I the only one that takes this as a slap in the face by Botterill? Is this really the only guy you could have traded for? There were countless trades earlier that went for draft picks and low end prospects. You literally traded for a guy that rejected this city already when it was his choice.

Reactions: Ehran

Deleted member 27798

I'm I the only one that takes this as a slap in the face by Botterill? Is this really the only guy you could have traded for? There were countless trades earlier that went for draft picks and low end prospects. You literally traded for a guy that rejected this city already when it was his choice.
This is it! One move! Trading and F/A is over! Bottom 5...here we come again!

Reactions: Freeeeedom

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
So far, from 18-19 to 19-20:

Out: Beaulieu, Pominville
In: Vesey, Miller

Ready: pilut, Olofsson

That’s some weak ass ****. Better be a few more moves

Honestly, in is better than out as for Bealieau / Pominville in conjunction with Vesey and Miller. To be honest, I'm okay with that. However, there just need to be more done than this. That just shows you that no one wants to sign here unless we overpay. Sign a few guys like Cousins, fill in some holes and lets go to work boys. That's how it's going to be.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I desperately want to see some removal trades.

If Toronto can trade phanuef, clarkson, Zaitsev, and Marleau, it isn’t unreasonable to expect Botterill to be able to axe Sobotka, Scandella, Hunwick, and maybe even okposo.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I've been preaching patience and wanted to wait and see what was going to happen. Patience is starting to wear thin. I expected more so far. At least 1 notable signing would have been nice. There are still options for team improvement but if nothing is done it will be upsetting.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
So far Botts has strengthened Rochester, added a top 4 RD and a 2nd/3rd line winger. He has not saddled us with huge money long term contracts. There is no evidence that we missed out on any diamonds in the rough nor were nipped out in bidding for someone we wanted. We have cap space and we have guys we can trade if and when a 2C becomes available. If we get an nhl 2nd line C on a decent contract then it will have been a good off season. Once the dust has settled some teams are going to be looking at cap issues--and others will be looking for cheaper depth and RD.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
I look around and see teams dumping salary, but never us. We seem stuck with the same overpriced players.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
So far, from 18-19 to 19-20:

Out: Beaulieu, Pominville
In: Vesey, Miller

Ready: pilut, Olofsson

That’s some weak ass ****. Better be a few more moves

And Montour well into last season I think you can add. So... In: Vesey, Miller, Pilut, Olafsson, Montour. That's a decent amount of improvement in my eyes. He also extended Skinner.

More needs to be done, but I wouldn't call this "weak ass ****."

Reactions: Reddawg

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
It's straight-up wild to me that Botterill has been "very" active/aggressive this off-season and somehow hasn't managed to do one thing that might help fix the most obvious problem with our team: we're missing 2 forward lines in the middle of the roster.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
It's straight-up wild to me that Botterill has been "very" active/aggressive this off-season and somehow hasn't managed to do one thing that might help fix the most obvious problem with our team: we're missing 2 forward lines in the middle of the roster.

I think you can make the case that we're missing one forward line. I think we can cobble together a perfectly fine 3rd line.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I think you can make the case that we're missing one forward line. I think we can cobble together a perfectly fine 3rd line.

And with the right line combinations they probably have the makings of a decent '2nd' line too.

The thing about the AHL /depth signings today - it suggests the likes of Olofsson, Smith are locks for the big team while Nylander, Asplund, Thompson etc will also get fair looks. Some of these guys are going to be capable of contributing.

Let's be honest - they're one good two way centre away from having a nice group.

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
Fine with today. Got stronger depth wise, and the one guy I think we may be pursuing the hardest isnt signed yet. Ready to see how the week unfolds before I make any judgements

BritSabre

Feb 10, 2006
Reading, UK
I'm not overly surprised about FA. Players have got a combination of winning, money and location to make their choice. Until we start winning we are going to be that team offering more that drives the price up where they want to go. If we had Edmonton are in the same boat. Can't blame Botts for that, our rep has been in the gutter since long before he showed up. Thinking forward to a Reinhart extension what does a 2 year at overpay for someone like Lee do for your bargaining power?

Traded however... He went balls out declaring trades were the way to go and he's proven to other GMs he is there for the fleecing. Our chance to get quality outside of the draft is players without NMC to block the trade here. We just don't have much of value to go get it without opening a huge hole elsewhere.

Hence misfits and hopefuls that probably are what they have proven so far... Filler and AHL all stars.

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica

Agreed.

Skinner-Eichel-Vesey
Olofsson-XXXX-Rodrigues
Smith-Middlestadt-Reinhart
Girgensons-Larsson-Okposo
x. Wilson

-Sheary traded
-Sobotka waived or traded for a conditional 7th
-Nylander, Thompson, and Asplund in Rochester

Still a big hole at #2c, but we have the assets to make a trade. I see 3 solid forward lines at this point.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
If we can't shit on Botterill in other threads then it hardly seems fair for people to come in here and defend his moves.

Just saying.

Reactions: Chippah

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Sabres overspend in free agency : "OMG THEY ARE GOING TO DESTROY THEIR CAP SPACE WITH THESE OVERPAYMENTS."

Sabres don't overspend in free agency : "DO SOMETHING DARCY."

I have stayed out of this thread because I am perfectly happy staying away from 90%+ of the deals that have been thrown around today.

And I'm not annoyed enough by the Vesey trade to vent about that, either.

Now if he trades for Turris....

Reactions: Rasmus CacOlainen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad