Advice: right vs left, how handedness breaks down

cujoflutie

I see a few posts discussing handedness and how it can apply to hockey players. I've studied brain lateralization as well as played goal most of my life so I figured it would be good to clear up some misconceptions

A persons writing hand is always their dominant hand for sports FALSE! See Tim Allen, Will Ferrell, Ed O' Neil, or Jason Bateman as examples of people whom this principle does not apply too; it's not unheard of for people to write with one hand and play sports with the other. Parents remember this when it comes time for sporting equipment.

A persons shooting side in hockey is determined based on their dominant hand FALSE! Roughly two thirds of hockey players shoot with their dominant hand on top. Like handwriting or any other sporting activity, shooting in hockey should not be a strategy but merely done in the most natural manner. The only way to determine someones shooting side is to give them a stick and have them shoot a puck or ball.

A person would hold a hockey stick on the same side they'd hold a baseball bat or golf club FALSE! Again notice that in baseball, most batters bat right and likewise for golfers most golf right. In hockey most players shoot left. It is a different notion.

A hockey goalie should wear their catching trapper on whichever hand they catch better with FALSE! I've heard all kinds of ludicrous theories such as throw tennis balls at someone and see which hand they catch more with. In baseball do you figure out a player's glove hand by determining which hand they catch better with? No you figure out their throwing hand as that is the one requiring more precision and put the glove on the other hand as catching is the easier activity than throwing. The same principle applies for hockey goalies except with the stick requiring the precision. If you can't throw with one hand, you probably cant wield a heavy goalie stick in it so you're better off using the stick in your dominant hand.

A goalies shooting side should determine which side they catch with FALSE (mostly). While puckhandling is a skill which can separate one goalie from another, it is not as critical as stopping the puck. While having to flip the stick over and shoot (ala Curtis Joseph, Jose Theodore, Dwayne Roloson) is difficult, the main job is to stop the puck. Now one exception to the rule is the rare case of an ambidextrous goalie. Greg Millen was ambidextrous and did play both left and right handed as a goalie in his youth. Eventually his coach told him to pick a side and go with it. It was determined that he would catch right for the sole reason of being a right handed shot.

Dylbot

Sep 10, 2009
It seems to me that very very few goalies catch right, similar to the percentage of left handed people out there I imagine.

I've heard the percentaage of left handed golfers in Canada is subtantially higher in Canada than elsewhere, likely due to the influence from hockey.

cujoflutie

It seems to me that very very few goalies catch right, similar to the percentage of left handed people out there I imagine.

I've heard the percentaage of left handed golfers in Canada is subtantially higher in Canada than elsewhere, likely due to the influence from hockey.

I've heard that notion too. It's a similar yet different motion;both involve swinging but the stance is different; in hockey the body is normally facing the direction a player is shooting whereas in golf and baseball it is to the side. Also the hands are closer together. Now I also wonder if the lack of left handed clubs in other regions.

It's really weird because I catch AND throw best with my left hand, even though I write with my right hand.

So that means you're mixed handed. What it probably means is you are right handed but left-armed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad