Right- vs. Left-handed players

Tomtefar

Dec 7, 2014
I like doing lists and formations. This time I looked at left-handed vs. right-handed players. I admit I don't look at that many matches but I make some formations based on most stats and maybe theese one below could work out? I'm actually more curious about how your team would look like. You don't have to do all formations. You can just see my list as some sort of help or something. (And of course I have to say sorry for my english or if I did some "wrong")

Forsberg-Getzlaf-Perry
Strålman Weber

Seguin-Giroux-Ovechkin
Karlsson Subban

Okposo-Johansen-Kessel
Doughty Seabrook

Bergeron-Stamkos-Hörnquist
Ekblad Shattenkirk

Mason
Hutchinson
Hiller

Almost: Boychuck, Jones, Klingberg, Burns and many more actuallty.

Team Left

Nash-Crosby-Voracek
Hedman Keith

Zetterberg-Toews-Kane
Giordano Brodie

Datsyuk-Malkin-Tarasenko
Suter Josi

Sedin-Sedin-Bäckström
Kronwall Chara

Rinne
Quick
Bobrovsky (edit)

Almost: Yandle, Brodin, Thornton, Streit and many more.

Last edited:

Algernop Kreider

Ant strength
Mar 9, 2014
New York
I would argue that left-catching goalies should be considered right-handed. Also, as do you really think Crawford is the 3rd best goalie in the league?

Tomtefar

Dec 7, 2014
I would argue that left-catching goalies should be considered right-handed. Also, as do you really think Crawford is the 3rd best goalie in the league?

Yeah maybe you're right. I kind of like Crawford for some reason but maybe Lundquist, Halak, Price, Rask is better.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ

A left catching goalie has a left handed curve on it and is held with the right hand at the top of the stick and the left hand in the middle of the shaft. You can argue it all you want but you are wrong.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
A left catching goalie has a left handed curve on it and is held with the right hand at the top of the stick and the left hand in the middle of the shaft. You can argue it all you want but you are wrong.

Right handed people catch with their left hand in baseball and hockey most of the time. In Canada, you are taught to play with your dominant hand on top for better puck control. That's why most players use left handed sticks.

StLHokie

May 27, 2014
North Carolina
Yeah of course. Thanks. Pietrangelo for Shattenkirk, Seabrook or maybe Strålman?

They're both better than Ekblad. Wouldn't replace Shattenkirk with Petro though because Shattenkirk has largely outplayed Pietrangelo. I'd probably say Stralman if you plan on leaving Ekblad.

Algernop Kreider

Ant strength
Mar 9, 2014
New York
Stamkos, Ovechkin, Seguin, Kessel, Perry....the righties have the snipers !!

There's a reason for this. The majority of all players are right handed. However, a lot of them, including most Canadiens, put their dominant hand on the top of the stick to make stickhandling easier.

This is why Patrick Kane (a left-shooting righty) is the best American stickhandler. (American players are more likely to put their dominant hand on the bottom of the stick)

It's also why right-shooting righties like Ovi and Stamkos are better shooters than their counterparts.

Hockey Joe

Dec 18, 2007
Montreal

Calling players right and left handed based on their stick position is stupid to begin with. Most people are right handed yet there are more "left-handed" players. Why? Because the right hand controls the stick.

It's been a pet-peeve of mine since I was a little kid. :cry:

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Right handed people catch with their left hand in baseball and hockey most of the time. In Canada, you are taught to play with your dominant hand on top for better puck control. That's why most players use left handed sticks.

Calling players right and left handed based on their stick position is stupid to begin with. Most people are right handed yet there are more "left-handed" players. Why? Because the right hand controls the stick.

It's been a pet-peeve of mine since I was a little kid. :cry:

Sooooooooooo what are you arguing exactly? The OP list's a bunch of players that shoot left handed on one team and right handed on the other. For goalies he includes goalies that catch with their left hand and use a stick that is left handed and goalies that catch with their right hand and use a right handed stick on their appropriate teams. Then this guy says:

To which I replied that all the above players on the Left handed team have their right hand on top of the stick and their left hand in the middle and the opposite being true for the other team, rendering his argument invalid.

Side note: I agree with both of you I play hockey "left-handed" personally because I like having more control at the top of my stick and when you have one hand on your stick it's my right. However what you both say is true for most of Canada but the opposite here in the states. Most players play "right-handed" on this side of the border for whatever reason, probably simply because it is called "Right-Handed". Also because other sports that may be learned at an earlier age in America (Mainly Baseball) but golf as well, most people bat, or swing Righty as well, which develops that swinging motion on that side more naturally in those sports on that side, as well as getting used to having your dominant hand closer to the shaft then the end of the bat or club.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
There's a reason for this. The majority of all players are right handed. However, a lot of them, including most Canadiens, put their dominant hand on the top of the stick to make stickhandling easier.

This is why Patrick Kane (a left-shooting righty) is the best American stickhandler. (American players are more likely to put their dominant hand on the bottom of the stick)

It's also why right-shooting righties like Ovi and Stamkos are better shooters than their counterparts.

Yeah exactly. I'd say that having your dominant hand on top makes you better in stick handling, but having it at the bottom gives you a harder and more accurate shot. Hence, the lefties are usually better at stick handling and the righties are better at shooting.

Best stickhandlers in the game : Datsyuk, Malkin, Kane, Crosby, Duchene, Tavares (mostly lefties)
Best shooters in the game : Ovechkin, Stamkos, Perry, Kovalchuk, Kessel, Semin (mostly righties)

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Yeah exactly. I'd say that having your dominant hand on top makes you better in stick handling, but having it at the bottom gives you a harder and more accurate shot. Hence, the lefties are usually better at stick handling and the righties are better at shooting.

Best stickhandlers in the game : Datsyuk, Malkin, Kane, Crosby, Duchene, Tavares (mostly lefties)
Best shooters in the game : Ovechkin, Stamkos, Perry, Kovalchuk, Kessel, Semin (mostly righties)

This has always been my general thought process too. In general it seems that way and even at lower levels it is noticeable where the skill ranges can be used.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ

I'm pretty sure this holds true for Art Ross and Rocket Richard winners as well

For the Rocket, since the expansion era the Rocket has been won or shared by a right handed player 30 times by 17 different Rightys. The only Righty with more then 3 is Ovechkin, he has 4. 24 times for lefties by 11 players. 6 of them are Phil Esposito, 5 are Gretzky.

The Art Ross has been won by a Righty 13 times, by 6 players, in the same time period and 6 of them are Lemieux. And 32 times by a Lefty, notables are Esposito with 5, Gretzky with 10, and Jagr with 4.

It amazes me that from to 1980-1994 only Lemieux or Gretzky won the Art Ross, Jagr won in 94, then Lemieux won twice again and Jagr won 4 more straight. So between 1980 and 2001!!! only 3 players won that trophy.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
I'm saying people should stop saying right/left handed players and say right/left shooter instead. I know it's never gonna happen but I had to get it off my chest.
Was just thinking the same thing. Or left-handed / right-handed shot (shooter).

I think there was a discussion about Howard and this - and I was wondering when posters would talk about left/right-handed catching / blocking glove OR which side they shoot on.

Some goalies catch with their right hand and the blocker is the left-hand but then some have to switch their goal stick around (when they shoot the puck). :) IT helps to mention left or right-handed shot. :) For goalies, also. :)

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation

I've read this else where but I cannot fathom playing with my right hand up top. In baseball I was always taught that the strong hand is the fulcrum thus it goes at the top(bottom on a hockey stick). Does having your strong hand on the top of a hockey stick really give you better control or is it more of a personal feel?

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
I've read this else where but I cannot fathom playing with my right hand up top. In baseball I was always taught that the strong hand is the fulcrum thus it goes at the top(bottom on a hockey stick). Does having your strong hand on the top of a hockey stick really give you better control or is it more of a personal feel?

I'm not sure about the the feel. I really think it has a lot to do with how you grab the stick for the first time. That was the case for me. I shoot left but I'm a righty.

When it comes to baseball, I can actually go either way. In regards to observations made above... I find it that I can hit the ball much harder when I wind with the right but, I'm much more accurate when winding with my left.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

Having the dominant hand on top would make one handed maneuvers such as the poke check or the windmill deke a lot easier for a beginner.

I'm right handed in the everyday life for almost everything and I play hockey with a right handed stick.

I can stickhandle and take a very soft wrist shot with a left handed stick, but there's no way I'll be able to crank a cannon slap shot with my left hand.

I decided to play right handed as a kid because I learned to lift the puck in the air that way first. Muscle memory makes it nearly impossible to shift your handedness. Once you learn to do something a certain way (like a left-handed kid forced to learn to write with his right hand) you can't change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad