OT: Right shot players.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Honestly, I think handedness in hockey is based on however you first pick up a stick as a kid.

There's no other way to easily explain why lefty's can shoot right or left, and righty's can shoot right or left. As a righty myself, I do think it kind of makes more sense logically to swing a baseball bat, golf club and hockey stick from the same side though, for coordination purposes etc.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Honestly, I think handedness in hockey is based on however you first pick up a stick as a kid.

There's no other way to easily explain why lefty's can shoot right or left, and righty's can shoot right or left. As a righty myself, I do think it kind of makes more sense logically to swing a baseball bat, golf club and hockey stick from the same side though, for coordination purposes etc.

I look at it differently...when holding a stick one-handed (to poke check or throwing a hit), right-handed shooter holds it in their left hand

which for me is my dominant hand

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I look at it differently...when holding a stick one-handed (to poke check or throwing a hit), right-handed shooter holds it in their left hand

which for me is my dominant hand

I guess, but it would be awkward to hold the stick with the bottom hand only. Holding with the top hand (which as you've said, is the left hand for a righty), allows the player to set up their shot quickly by just putting their bottom hand on the stick, no need to slide the hands. Also, allows for more reach of course.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
This is completely anecdotal but I've always thought for right-handed dominant players, hockey righties had more powerful shots while hockey lefties were better stick handlers (due to the position of their dominant right hand on the shaft or butt of the stick).

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
This is completely anecdotal but I've always thought for right-handed dominant players, hockey righties had more powerful shots while hockey lefties were better stick handlers (due to the position of their dominant right hand on the shaft or butt of the stick).

That makes some sense to me; perhaps a trade-off between power and control depending on where the dominant hand is on the stick, interesting.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Puck Daddy had a great theory: years ago, you got your first hockey at about 3 or 4 years old when your dad gave it to you. Your dominant was already determined, so he gave a right handed stick.

Now, kids get those mini sticks when they are babies. they grab the end with their dominant hand, then years later they put the other hand mid-shift.

Very interesting. I makes sense. There has to be some reason, why would a ton of righties suddenly start to shoot left. There has to be a teaching reason, or perhaps this one.

I am right and shoot right, the idea of shooting left seems weird, of course that is how I learned. When I grew up if you were right, then you started with a right stick. Now I am guessing it is just the opposite. If right, you start with a mini stick that teaches you to hold the right hand at the top, thus pick up a left stick.

Interesting any way, got to think it isn't that lefties just make better hockey players, that would be quite odd.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
The only problem with these theories of what has changed is that things havent. I grew up in the 70's and the vast majority of kids playing minor hockey then shot left just the same as now.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
The only problem with these theories of what has changed is that things havent. I grew up in the 70's and the vast majority of kids playing minor hockey then shot left just the same as now.

Exactly i grew up in the 80's-90's and most kids were lefties. My Dad says most guys were lefties while he was growing up too.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Ya, I think the NHL has pretty much always been like 70% lefties, and I'm assuming this holds true for most levels of hockey.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
Shoot right. golf right. throw right. bat right side. write right. Catch better with my right hand.

All that said, ended up playing a lot of left wing most of the time. lol. Even when I was younger, when I played a bit goalie, I had to pull a Cujo, where my glove hand is lefty, but I have to shoot right handed.

I always thought it was weird that many of my friends drove right, but they putt lefty. After awhile, I was the weird one being the only one who didn't do that. lol

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
Shoot right. golf right. throw right. bat right side. write right. Catch better with my right hand.

All that said, ended up playing a lot of left wing most of the time. lol. Even when I was younger, when I played a bit goalie, I had to pull a Cujo, where my glove hand is lefty, but I have to shoot right handed.

I always thought it was weird that many of my friends drove right, but they putt lefty. After awhile, I was the weird one being the only one who didn't do that. lol

I I'm the same way. Hockey, golf, baseball, tennis. Shoot right in every sport. I think its crazy that other people mix it up. I can't do anything on my left side

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
I I'm the same way. Hockey, golf, baseball, tennis. Shoot right in every sport. I think its crazy that other people mix it up. I can't do anything on my left side
I'm right in everything except hockey. I even had a right stick as a kid but somehow my body naturally wanted to shoot left.

Billy Barou

Mar 4, 2011

I concur, I saw the same thing in the 80's

The majority of players back then shot left. Being the left handed kid I was one of three guys that shot right.

In Canada the majority of right handed kids shoot left. What's interesting is in the US it's almost the opposite.

Implies a cultural effect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad