Right down to it: What does the future hold?

StayFrosty

Dec 6, 2011
Hopefully it's alright that I start such a discussion.

I want to get right down to it. What does the future hold for the Oilers? What's your opinion?

Where will they be in 1 year? 3 years? 5 years? 8 years? 10 years? 15 years?

I really want to see what the consensus is on where this team is going.... I have spent a lot of time, hope, and money in belief that this team will get better and contend within 5 years time, probably as the second best Oilers team ever assembled. But I'm bound to appear foolish for saying that, I think....

Last edited:

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
1 year? Bottom 5-8.
3 years? Bottom 15
5 years, if Taylor Hall is still here? Play-offs
8 years? Miss the play-offs, everyone is mad.
10 years? Play-offs again, we'll make the 2nd round for the first time in a while.
15 years? Out of the play-offs again for a considerable amount of time.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
The Future Holds...

-A new arena and a possibly a revitalized downtown Edmonton.

-Bigger, Stronger, Faster, Experienced, Better Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yakupov, Schultz, Draisaitl, Nurse, Klefbom, Marincin, Scrivens.

-More Talented prospects

-Hopefully a competent coaching staff.

-A possible new logo design...maybe

-I expect playoffs every year...starting now. And the mentality that you want the cup every year!! Might as well aim big, then wallow in mediocrity.

-Oilers first Rookie of the year Calder winner in 10 years.

-I expect at least 2-3 Stanley cups (I am trying to be realistic) in the next 15 years.

-More german tourists because of Draisaitl. German population will increase and Albertas Oktoberfest will be second to Germany. ^^

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
In 1 year... out of the playoffs.

Beyond that, it's impossible to tell. Just look at the Oilers roster from 5 years ago. Not a single player left. Hall and Eberle are the longest serving players at 4 years a peace.

Hell, look at the roster today vs the team at the end of the season MacT took over.

Players who played a game in 12/13 now gone:
Gagner
Paajarvi
Hemsky
Whitney
Smyth
Horcoff
Petrell
N. Schultz
Jones
Fistric
Potter
Smid
Hartikainen
Belanger
Eager
Smithson
Brown
Hordichuk
Peckham
Danis
Vandevelde
Dubnyk
Khabibulin

Over 2 summers and 1 season the only players that are left now from when MacT took over:

Hall
Eberle
RNH
Yakupov
J. Schultz
Petry
Lander and Arcobello, although they were AHLers.

So he's turned over 2/3rds of the skaters and all the goalies.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
In 1 year... out of the playoffs.

Beyond that, it's impossible to tell. Just look at the Oilers roster from 5 years ago. Not a single player left. Hall and Eberle are the longest serving players at 4 years a peace.

Hell, look at the roster today vs the team at the end of the season MacT took over.

Players who played a game in 12/13 now gone:
Gagner
Paajarvi
Hemsky
Whitney
Smyth
Horcoff
Petrell
N. Schultz
Jones
Fistric
Potter
Smid
Hartikainen
Belanger
Eager
Smithson
Brown
Hordichuk
Peckham
Danis
Vandevelde
Dubnyk
Khabibulin

Over 2 summers and 1 season the only players that are left now from when MacT took over:

Hall
Eberle
RNH
Yakupov
J. Schultz
Petry
Lander and Arcobello, although they were AHLers.

So he's turned over 2/3rds of the skaters and all the goalies.
Turnover like this and it's hard to believe we aren't at the very least a few years away from competing for anything.

Gambl0r83*

Playoffs this year
And for all you emo kids that say 'BAHAH Oilers and Playoffs! BAHAha!"
Make sure to stay at home knitting while the oilers are in an epic playoff series in 2015

Happy Knitting!

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto
Hopefully the Oilers see playoffs before they move into the Rogers Place.

CAn you imagine 2006 being the last time Rexall Place sees an Oilers playoff game?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Too much hinges on Eakins.

Year one: with anything less than a complete 180 by Eakins we will be finishing near the bottom. 25th overall plus or minus a spot or two.

Year two: with Eakins gone or improved. In the mix for the playoffs. Really should make it with what we have and how much those players "should" develop.

Year three: depends on how we replace players like Gordon, Perron, Purcell, and Nikita. Year three will be very similar to Year two as long as those players are replaced well from within and/or without. Good chunk of NHL experience on its way out potentially tho.

Year four: depending on the replacements of year 3 this starts our "window" to be a Stanley cup champion/playoff team. All our current prospects of note will be at or near enough to their prime.

Year five: Potentially the last year with Eberle. If it is his last year with us this will most likely be the last year the window to win a Stanley cup is open. Hopefully he resigns and we get more chances but I just really can't see him sticking unless things change drastically sooner rather than later. Aka before year 4.

Neatman

Mar 9, 2011
At some point, this team is going to blow us away. The team needs good vets and coaching at this point, but there is an incredible depth of potential star talent (Hall, Hopkins, Yakupov, Eberle, Draisaitl, Nurse, maybe Schultz) without even considering that a prospect could potentially rise to that level.

Im guessing that they make playoffs in the 2016-17 season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad