Riga sole host for 2021 world championships (Mod warning in post #204)

Status
Not open for further replies.

babylonzoo

Mar 8, 2010
With covid, will be interesting to see which players from north America will want to even attend

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
Latvia deserves to host this tournament. They are somehow a hockey-loving people althoug their team don´t usually show anything special. Too bad that they most probably don´t allow any fans to attend the games... The last time Latvia hosted, there was a good tournament if you don´t count the Latvia-Canada game where the audience went crazy after 0-12 defeat.

Reactions: Faterson

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
From IIHF website "The Olympic Sports Centre across the street will be converted into an ice arena to host Group A and two quarter-final games".

Isn't that already ice arena, Skonto Olimpiska halle ?

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
I saw that the IIHF is now accepting registration for tournament volunteers, which is obviously a great sign that the tournament will happen. Unfortunately, still no information about tickets.

member 305909

I think it is almost impossible that this tournament will happen.

Namely, unlike the soccer euro-tournament which is a huge money making event and it is going to be held in one way or another be it in a bubble at empty stadia this hockey-tournament just isn't worth it to go through all the trouble with special arrangements to make it safe.

I don't think the Olympics are going to happen either this summer.

I wouldn't bet even for next year's winter Olympics to happen.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki

Namely, unlike the soccer euro-tournament which is a huge money making event and it is going to be held in one way or another be it in a bubble at empty stadia this hockey-tournament just isn't worth it to go through all the trouble with special arrangements to make it safe.

I'd be willing to bet against you.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

A month ago I would have agreed with you. But the IIHF is hell bent not to cancel 2 games in a row.

About 2 weeks ago, right after they announced that Latvia will be the sole host, countries started confirming bookings in hotels in Riga and started informing support staff, who would be going and started forming ideas for rosters. Right now, it looks like most teams are not expecting to have access to many NHL players for these games

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Couldn't find the particular thread for the tournament itself but figured one of you might know the answer.

I was looking at the IIHF rankings and wondering why Great Britain (#19) is in the field ahead of France (#15) and two other countries ranked higher.

Figured it was related to last year's tournaments being cancelled or elevation and relegation from 2018-19.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

it is happening and it caused Team GB to scramble together to get players ready for the games

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Couldn't find the particular thread for the tournament itself but figured one of you might know the answer.

I was looking at the IIHF rankings and wondering why Great Britain (#19) is in the field ahead of France (#15) and two other countries ranked higher.

Figured it was related to last year's tournaments being cancelled or elevation and relegation from 2018-19.

Standings are only part of the thing.

Team GB stayed up in the main group in the last games played in Slovakia
While they were tied in pts--Team GB stayed up because they actually won a game in OT while France got 2 pts via ot lose

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The British ELite league is running a 4 team 24 games tournament. This is partly being done to have players in playing shape for the worlds as TEam GB was not going to be allowed to sit this one out and play in the next one. Since there is no relegation for this tourney(this could change) Team GB will stay up for the 2022 games in Finland

Nikolajs Sillers

Jan 2, 2021
The British ELite league is running a 4 team 24 games tournament. This is partly being done to have players in playing shape for the worlds as TEam GB was not going to be allowed to sit this one out and play in the next one. Since there is no relegation for this tourney(this could change) Team GB will stay up for the 2022 games in Finland
Last sentence is very funny :laugh:

member 305909

Are the players going to have to spend a few days in a quarantine both in and out of Latvia and the tournament itself would be in a bubble?

If so I guess there will be difficulties finding players who want to be in the tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad