Riga sole host for 2021 world championships (Mod warning in post #204)

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 305909

If this tournament happens do you think it is wise?

After all, the covid-situation isnt better than a year ago.

As I said earlier, the Euro soccer-tournament will happen because it is a huge event with global attention despite being a European competition but a hockey-tournament in the middle of a pandemic?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

As I said earlier, the Euro soccer-tournament will happen because it is a huge event with global attention despite being a European competition but a hockey-tournament in the middle of a pandemic?

It's a bubble.

Pardus

Sep 25, 2017
Oulu, Finland

Yes, it will happen and it is wise.

Who knows what's the situation next year? We can't just stop living. Things will happen, just not the same way they used to.

Reactions: Lartsaman

GX

Dec 28, 2011
If the government allows for any indoor events to have people, so will the WC. Currently nothing indicates that such a scenario might take place. Most certainly self-isolation for foreign fans won't be lifted, so that's unfortunately not happening this time.

Today the organisers reviewed different scenarios on attendance, but didn't make any decisions as government currently does not allow any attendees in indoor events. One of the scenarios sees rapid testing (saliva tests) for all attendees, and a capacity of 2660 fans for Arena Riga and 1058 fans for Olimpiskais centrs.

Additionally they have also evaluated possibility to create an outdoor viewing venue at Daugava track & field stadium, with large screen. However, also there it is currently not allowed by the government to have mass outdoor events.

member 305909

Hopefully we will be enjoying good entertaining games with open play with teams not afraid of losing since there is no relegation to be worried about.

Pardus

Sep 25, 2017
Oulu, Finland
Exhibition game Slovakia - Latvia 1-2 OT

1-0 Adam Liska (Patrik Lamper, Adam Janosik)
1-1 Martins Karsums (Roberts Bukarts)
1-2 Renars Krastenbergs (Mikelis Redlihs)

Reactions: Pasha71

GX

Dec 28, 2011
Prime minister: Currently I see no chance that there could be spectators at the WC.

So, that's about it.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Prime minister: Currently I see no chance that there could be spectators at the WC.

So, that's about it.

yep. The moment I found that both media and scouts where having trouble getting into the arena--fans did not stand a chance. I am sad cause I was looking forward to Riga--

But with the Fins hosting next year? They will rip it up

just need to find out where Canada is going to play.I am hoping for Tempere--been to Helsinki before

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Now reading they have serious issues with tranining rinks ... without fans. Not good.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
What kind of problems?
Ice rink Daugava is not ready, no ice surface. It sould be a training rink. Some says it is a serious issue, others saying about plan B. You can choose whom to believe. Will there be even any fans? That is a question.

Reactions: Pardus

GX

Dec 28, 2011
Apparently they've today reached the stage when they can start to create the ice surface, so it should be fine. Anyhow, it's only the practice rink. They started construction in spring 2020 and, of course, now completion has been delayed by 2 months.

I haven't heard of a plan B by the organisers, but there are, of course, plenty of alternatives in Riga, where practice can be held. The only problem is that the alternatives have smaller rink size than the IIHF full 60*30m. Most rinks in Latvia are 56*28m.

Reactions: Pardus

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Why they took it away from Belarus and now they don't really wanna have it Latvia.

GX

Dec 28, 2011
1) It was Škoda and Nivea, who took it away. Latvia's say doesn't really matter to the IIHF
2) Latvia wants IHWC and will held it, investing EUR 3m from public funds and not seeing almost any financial return. Not really valid to speak about 'not wanting' it. The only thing Latvia doesn't want is a third Covid-19 wave - that's why there won't be any fans in the stands.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Thank you for confirming what I wrote. The reports I read were true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad