Proposal: Rieder to Pittsburgh

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Penguins trade Gustavsson (2016 2nd round pick) and a 2019 3rd round pick
Coyotes trade Rieder

The Penguins get basically a Rust clone for a bottom-6 LW spot. The Coyotes get a good goalie prospect and a 3rd. Would this work?

Reactions: Ryder71

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Not sure it would but I'd love Rieder on the Pens, he kills us.

m302291

Jun 2, 2015
I do this from the Pens if we are packaging Rust along with other piece(s) for a big return at 3C or in the top 3. Otherwise I don't really see what the benefit is.

Gotta say that I wouldn't be thrilled about losing Gus though. Nothing has pointed to anything other than him being a special goalie.

m302291

Jun 2, 2015
But as I said in another thread, I think Rieder will be a guy who will be on the auction block at the deadline and/or the draft.

And I wouldn't be surprised if a higher bidder offered up a 2nd and a decent prospect/serviceable roster player. Does this proposal beat that? Idk.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I do this from the Pens if we are packaging Rust along with other piece(s) for a big return at 3C or in the top 3. Otherwise I don't really see what the benefit is.

Gotta say that I wouldn't be thrilled about losing Gus though. Nothing has pointed to anything other than him being a special goalie.

Having both Rust and Rieder in your bottom-6 would be incredible for depth. Having them on the same line would be really special. It also helps balance the RW/LW split on this team somewhat, since Rieder is a defensive LWer that the Penguins don't have (outside of Hagelin, who isn't good anymore).

My thought was that the Penguins trade Sheary for a 3C and have the 3rd line be Rieder-3C-Rust. That's personally what I'd do.

m302291

Jun 2, 2015
Having both Rust and Rieder in your bottom-6 would be incredible for depth. Having them on the same line would be really special. It also helps balance the RW/LW split on this team somewhat, since Rieder is a defensive LWer that the Penguins don't have (outside of Hagelin, who isn't good anymore).

My thought was that the Penguins trade Sheary for a 3C and have the 3rd line be Rieder-3C-Rust. That's personally what I'd do.

Makes sense.

But then I would wonder where Hornqvist goes if not on Crosby's line.

Guentzel - Crosby - Hornqvist
Hagelin - Malkin - Kessel
Rieder - 3C - Rust
Kuhnhackl - Sheahan - Simon

would be great, but if what people have been saying about Crosby not wanting to play with Hornqvist is true (which I don't even necessarily believe because I haven't seen any sources) then that really screws with what the plan would be.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Makes sense.

But then I would wonder where Hornqvist goes if not on Crosby's line.

Guentzel - Crosby - Hornqvist
Hagelin - Malkin - Kessel
Rieder - 3C - Rust
Kuhnhackl - Sheahan - Simon

would be great, but if what people have been saying about Crosby not wanting to play with Hornqvist is true (which I don't even necessarily believe because I haven't seen any sources) then that really screws with what the plan would be.
play sprong at 1rw

m302291

Jun 2, 2015
play sprong at 1rw

It's an idea, but he doesn't seem ready for the NHL, his play style doesn't really gel with Crosby, (Neal and Kessel didn't either) and we can't just boot Hornqvist out of the line up. Pens need his net presence and leadership.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
It's an idea, but he doesn't seem ready for the NHL, his play style doesn't really gel with Crosby, (Neal and Kessel didn't either) and we can't just boot Hornqvist out of the line up. Pens need his net presence and leadership.
sprong elite

but yeah idk what pens lines should be, they have too many talented forwards. good problem to have

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Penguins trade Gustavsson (2016 2nd round pick) and a 2019 3rd round pick
Coyotes trade Rieder

The Penguins get basically a Rust clone for a bottom-6 LW spot. The Coyotes get a good goalie prospect and a 3rd. Would this work?

Big fan of Toby Rieder's. He has killed us. Brings serious speed. Would be wonderful get.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I think the Coyotes could get more for Rieder, but I do think he will hit the trade market soon. Arizona has younger wing options coming through the system and Rieder's agent was a pain in the ass to deal with last time over nothing. I don't think they want to trade him for picks and prospects though.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
You know what, this is actually a very good idea for Pittsburgh. This guy very much exemplifies our identity. I suspect we'd have to part with something more current and a bit more substantial, but this makes a hell of a lot of sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad