Value of: Rieder to Pittsburgh

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
He's getting the Boedker treatment. Undeserved top 6 minutes. We call that the good ole Pump and Dump trade strategy we go through every year.

He did get injured during the summer and MAYBE thats affecting him. But I'd gladly move on from Tobi this season.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
He's getting the Boedker treatment. Undeserved top 6 minutes. We call that the good ole Pump and Dump trade strategy we go through every year.

He did get injured during the summer and MAYBE thats affecting him. But I'd gladly move on from Tobi this season.
Then I'd be more than happy to give up a 2nd for him.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Rieder is an interesting target, but I don't think the Yotes would trade him this soon and I'm not sure the Penguins would have what they would want for him. I mean sure, maybe you can get them to bite on Hagelin and a good prospect or a high pick for him, which makes sense if you think Rutherford will do another "struggling player for struggling player" swap (same kind of trade as the Perron and Clendening for Hagelin move), but I'm not sure Vegas would be willing to do that.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Rieder is an interesting target, but I don't think the Yotes would trade him this soon and I'm not sure the Penguins would have what they would want for him. I mean sure, maybe you can get them to bite on Hagelin and a good prospect or a high pick for him, which makes sense if you think Rutherford will do another "struggling player for struggling player" swap (same kind of trade as the Perron and Clendening for Hagelin move), but I'm not sure Vegas would be willing to do that.

I don't see why not? I think they'd rather have a high draft pick than a roster player that won't even get them to the playoffs. Rieder is a good role player, but he's certainly expendable.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't see why not? I think they'd rather have a high draft pick than a roster player that won't even get them to the playoffs. Rieder is a good role player, but he's certainly expendable.

Because at some point, they can't just keep hoarding draft picks. I could see Arizona moving him for a close to NHL ready prospect and a replacement winger, something like Hagelin and Simon for Rieder. But I really can't see them moving him for draft picks. A lot of their core is in the NHL or close to being in the NHL, I don't think a 2018 2nd round pick would do it for them.

For anyone who doesn't know who Simon is, Simon is a 22 year old RW/C who has put up very solid numbers in the AHL in the last 2+ years. He likely doesn't have a spot in Pittsburgh long term just because of how many good young wingers they have had come up through the system. I personally really like him and think it's a shame that he's going to struggle to get NHL ice time.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Because at some point, they can't just keep hoarding draft picks. I could see Arizona moving him for a close to NHL ready prospect and a replacement winger, something like Hagelin and Simon for Rieder. But I really can't see them moving him for draft picks. A lot of their core is in the NHL or close to being in the NHL, I don't think a 2018 2nd round pick would do it for them.

For anyone who doesn't know who Simon is, Simon is a 22 year old RW/C who has put up very solid numbers in the AHL in the last 2+ years. He likely doesn't have a spot in Pittsburgh long term just because of how many good young wingers they have had come up through the system. I personally really like him and think it's a shame that he's going to struggle to get NHL ice time.
If they want Simon + Hagelin I'd have no problem with it also. But I was more thinking of doing 2nd + Simon for Rieder and Hagelin for Letestu straight up. We'd end up with :

Sheary - Sid - Hornqvist
Guentzel - Malkin - Kessel
Rieder - Sheahan - Rust
DiPauli - Letestu - Archibald/Reaves/Rowney

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
I would consider ~ 60th pick in the next draft a long shot at best, so why trade an established NHLer for it? The only "fair" trade I could see with the Penquins is Reider for Rust, or why bother (from AZ's perspective).

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Sure, somewhat but go to any Arizona GDT - he's absolutely a whipping boy this year.

That's more to do with his usage, honestly. He's playing basically like he plays but occupying a spot many fans would like to see given to more offensively talented players. There is frustration that Duclair is sitting and Rieder is playing on a scoring line. There is frustration that Keller has been saddled with Richardson as a linemate. The obvious move to fans (not the coaches apparently) would be to move Keller up and Rieder down. I think that would alleviate 75% of the frustration you are seeing demonstrated by Coyotes fans in our GDTs.

That said, I'm not particularly attached to him. He's a good PKer and traditionally is good at generating odd man breaks for. For those reasons I'm happy to keep him. His agent is a pain-in-the-ass and he's a tough nut to crack during contract negotiations. That really killed the honeymoon for me. Players of that ilk involved in a hold-out is always going to breed some bad blood. He just doesn't justify it.

I'm not prepared to deal reasonably effective roster assets for picks and prospects at this point. I want the young pieces that are part of the core to be given a shot at turning the season around to some degree and at least playing in semi-competitive NHL games. I'm not ready to watch our blue chips get smoked 7-0 every night.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
I would consider ~ 60th pick in the next draft a long shot at best, so why trade an established NHLer for it? The only "fair" trade I could see with the Penquins is Reider for Rust, or why bother (from AZ's perspective).
Fair enough. I'd much rather keep Rust though.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
He's an excellent 4th line PKer. He gets more breakaways than anyone on the team. Problem is he can't bury them, like, at all. Two coaching staffs now have tried to force him into a top six role. That isn't what he is and drives us fans crazy. There's nothing wrong with what he is. I'd love to keep him long term as a bottom six guy if he'd sign a reasonable contract. We all know he won't though. His agent also thinks he's a top six scorer. I could see the hope for his development 2 years ago but at this point, he is what he is. Just sickening to see him not scoring in a top six role when Duclair rots in the press box.

Reactions: rt

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
If they want Simon + Hagelin I'd have no problem with it also. But I was more thinking of doing 2nd + Simon for Rieder and Hagelin for Letestu straight up. We'd end up with :

Sheary - Sid - Hornqvist
Guentzel - Malkin - Kessel
Rieder - Sheahan - Rust
DiPauli - Letestu - Archibald/Reaves/Rowney

It doesn't make any sense for Edmonton to take that Hagelin contract.

Even if Pittsburgh retained half that 2nd year should kill any interest.

I could maybe see a deal where Letestu goes there but the return has to be better than a cap dump/ cap problem.

Edmonto would be better off letting Letestu walk for nothing rather than take on Hagelin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad