Player Discussion Ridly Greig Appreciation Thread

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
What a difference two weeks makes.

The Bridge Jumpers were proclaiming the Leafs would miss the playoffs after losing to the AHL-level Ottawa bottom feeders. And the Fair Play Snowflakes were permanently traumatized by such a viscous act of violence by Rielly.

Who knew that defending the crest could be a rallying point for the team? Almost like something from the *gasp* 1980’s barbarianism still works today.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Rielly started the fire

But that clown Ridley paved the way

He got this emotionless group of guys (2023 - 2024 leafs) to come out firing and destroy their next 5 matchups

We beat 3 playoff teams in our 7 game streak and 2 very high end contenders

Leafs went from 60 pts in 50 games to 74 in 57 now

We are playing elite hockey

What a difference two weeks makes.

The Bridge Jumpers were proclaiming the Leafs would miss the playoffs after losing to the AHL-level Ottawa bottom feeders. And the Fair Play Snowflakes were permanently traumatized by such a viscous act of violence by Rielly.

Who knew that defending the crest could be a rallying point for the team? Almost like something from the *gasp* 1980’s barbarianism still works today.
Like!

I felt/wrote the leafs will either emerge from this incident as serious and legitmate contenders, not letting Riellys insanely penalized suspension (5 games for a max 1 game thing) go un checked or they would prove once and for all they dont give 2 shits and are here for the fame and money.

Matthews, Marner, Nylander as the core deserve huge props for their play and response here. They didnt fold like a cheap tent.

I really liked the kessel era team initially, but as players they would have folded so bad if this happened then.

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021
Leafs played 5 bad teams, it's not much of a surprise they went 5 - 0. Yes I know they struggled vs bad teams but still. They didn't need Rielly to beat them in the first place.

Their next 8 games are Knights, Avs, Knights, Sun Devils, Rangers, Bruins, Sabres, Bruins..... I would not be surprised if they went like 3-4-1, Matthews comes back to earth, and maybe the shutout streak ends.

Everyone will freak out. "OMG Rielly came back and we suck now. Trade him, healthy scratch him". No just put things in perspective.

I am always reluctant to claim early victories so I will follow up this post as the games play out. So far you're 0 and 2 but there are six games remaining so you still could be right. It's an extremely negative way to look at our team but I while I don't agree, I understand the pessimism.

Reactions: WildWolfdog and BTP

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
It’s been amusing but I hope this thread drops off soon, along with the Lafferty thread.

I’m over both and now it’s just putting a welcome mat out that we don’t need.

Reactions: bax

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Stumbled upon this thinking it was on the Sens board. As a Sens fan who remembers the rivaly from the 90s where the Sens would own Leafs in the regular season only to get destroyed in the playoffs....Greig needed to slap shot that EN goal...Rielly needed to crosscheck him and get suspended...to FINALLY rekindle one of the nastiest hockey rivalries in Battle of Ontario that means nothing to the younger fans on either side nowadays.

The Sens are improving, the Leafs are a perennial playoff team with Smelly Moustache Matthews flirting with smashing McDavid's 65 and potentially hitting 70+ goals as the next Ovi.

Exciting times ahead for Battle of Ontario!

Now I think I need a shower lol. I will show myself out the door.

Last edited:
Reactions: LivingRentFree

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
Stumbled upon this thinking it was on the Sens board. As a Sens fan who remembers the rivaly from the 90s where the Sens would own Leafs in the regular season only to get destroyed in the playoffs....Greig needed to slap shot that EN goal...Rielly needed to crosscheck him and get suspended...to FINALLY rekindle one of the nastiest hockey rivalries in Battle of Ontario that means nothing to the younger fans on either side nowadays.

The Sens are improving, the Leafs are a perennial playoff team with Smelly Moustache Matthews flirting with smashing McDavid's 65 and potentially hitting 70+ goals as the next Ovi.

I'd love nothing more than to have this rivalry turn into something meaningful again

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021
Leafs played 5 bad teams, it's not much of a surprise they went 5 - 0. Yes I know they struggled vs bad teams but still. They didn't need Rielly to beat them in the first place.

Their next 8 games are Knights, Avs, Knights, Sun Devils, Rangers, Bruins, Sabres, Bruins..... I would not be surprised if they went like 3-4-1, Matthews comes back to earth, and maybe the shutout streak ends.

Everyone will freak out. "OMG Rielly came back and we suck now. Trade him, healthy scratch him". No just put things in perspective.

Well they went 5-3-0 after going 5-0

Point being, enjoy the W's as they happen. There's always something crappy just around the corner. If you can't enjoy a 7 game winning steak or a 10-3-0 stretch, then you'll never be happy

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Well they went 5-3-0 after going 5-0

Point being, enjoy the W's as they happen. There's always something crappy just around the corner. If you can't enjoy a 7 game winning steak or a 10-3-0 stretch, then you'll never be happy

All I'm trying to do is temper expectations in a specific stretch of games. I saw so many posts that were like anything less than 6-2-0 is a disappointment.

They got 10 points in 8 games instead of 7 points in 8 games. They did better than I expected. Good for them. But as I also predicted AM had 3 goals in 8 games, and the offence struggled, glad the streak didn't end but it was close.

People are freaking out now but I'm not, they just backloaded the downswing of a tough stretch, . After this mini-break next week I would hope they get back to playing like they did in the stretch immediately following the Greig incident. Not all wins obv but get above season point% for the next 5 games.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

You can scrub all you want, once you are a fan of the 0's, you will never get rid of that smell.

thumb.aspx

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad