Ridiculous Idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl Spackler

Mar 9, 2004
It struck me when I read about Dean McAmmond signing to play with the Devils AHL team that there could be a novel way for the NHL to try and break the players. What if all NHL teams decided to move their AHL affiliate to their home city (as Edmonton and Philly already have done, and the Leafs soon will do), set up shop and announce that they will be running that league as one where revenues are tied to salaries?

After all, McAmmond and Raffi Torres have signed to play in the AHL (as well as other clear NHL players like Spezza and Bouwmeester) and the NHLPA has neither done nor said anything to stop them from doing so. To come out after the fact and condemn players would make the NHLPA look more like hypocrites than they already are. If the NHL announced that the AHL would be running with a salary cap that will adjust according to revenues (say at 55% of revenues) I have a feeling a lot of players would be interested in making a go of it. Part of this would be offering salaries that would make it worthwhile to get the league going in the first place....

Is this a preposterous idea? If the legal issues were too much to overcome with the AHL why not buy out a lower league and transfer all those franchises to NHL cities? It would certainly be ungainly and awkward for a while but if fan sentiment is what it seems to be it strikes me that plenty of fans would turn out just out of a sheer malice towards the players. If a few legit NHL players signed to play in the league it could start the ball rolling......

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Carl Spackler said:
It struck me when I read about Dean McAmmond signing to play with the Devils AHL team that there could be a novel way for the NHL to try and break the players. What if all NHL teams decided to move their AHL affiliate to their home city (as Edmonton and Philly already have done, and the Leafs soon will do), set up shop and announce that they will be running that league as one where revenues are tied to salaries?

After all, McAmmond and Raffi Torres have signed to play in the AHL (as well as other clear NHL players like Spezza and Bouwmeester) and the NHLPA has neither done nor said anything to stop them from doing so. To come out after the fact and condemn players would make the NHLPA look more like hypocrites than they already are. If the NHL announced that the AHL would be running with a salary cap that will adjust according to revenues (say at 55% of revenues) I have a feeling a lot of players would be interested in making a go of it. Part of this would be offering salaries that would make it worthwhile to get the league going in the first place....

Is this a preposterous idea? If the legal issues were too much to overcome with the AHL why not buy out a lower league and transfer all those franchises to NHL cities? It would certainly be ungainly and awkward for a while but if fan sentiment is what it seems to be it strikes me that plenty of fans would turn out just out of a sheer malice towards the players. If a few legit NHL players signed to play in the league it could start the ball rolling......

Unfortunately, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad