Ridiculous Goal/Refereeing

Out East

Jan 11, 2013
Halifax NS
One of the things that annoys me about human nature (and it makes itself evident in sports) is how we overreact when things go wrong and ignore wrong when things go right.

I guarantee you had the Flyers come back and won last night all the talk would have been about the ridiculous goal mouth scramble goal the Flyers were permitted to score about 30ish seconds after the whistle should have blown. Since they didn't win no one says a word. Ridiculous.

All the talk that did occur at the time was about the puck being visible. Craziness. What about the rule that the goalie has to have free mobility inside the blue paint to make a save? Not only should the play have been whistled dead long before, but the circus that ensued while the ref obsessed over the location of the puck could have resulted in a serious injury to Carey Price. Then what would everyone be saying?

It's the same with dirty hits. When they happen and no one gets hurt hardly a word is said. When a clean hit occurs that results in an injury the clean hit is called dirty. It's all ridiculous. Are we all so blind and stupid?

A couple of weeks ago a goal was disallowed on Carey Price because of contact in the crease while he was trying to make the save. Many complained and the next day Fraser wrote an article about it and quoted the rule that states a goalie must be free to move around and make a save in the blue paint. Where was that rule last night. Pure insanity!

Out East

Jan 11, 2013
Halifax NS
The silence proves me point. We won so who cares... Hopefully behind the scenes Habs management cares and said something to hopefully affect future situations like this.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Missed the game, but saw that sequence on the hi-lights, strange and bizarre play around the net, but the ref seemed to be able to see the puck so he didn't whistle it dead...that being said, way too many bodies in Price's crease...a call that could have gone either way...

The one that frustrates me, is the quick whistle that goes against us most times, when a puck is free and we score, and it gets called back....anyhow the league is trying to get these right, but...

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
after looking at the replay the ref made a good call not to blow the whistle.. remember last year vs Ottawa in OT when Bouillon scored?? same kind of play.....but I have a problem with the Flyers player tripping our D 10 seconds earlier on that play!

A1

Everything is awful
Oct 15, 2005
Montreal, Qc
I was furious when seeing that play as it happened, because I, like the announcers and all the habs on the ice never saw the puck. On the replay, you can see that the ref clearly sees the puck and the only players in prices crease are Canadiens.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
after looking at the replay the ref made a good call not to blow the whistle.. remember last year vs Ottawa in OT when Bouillon scored?? same kind of play.....but I have a problem with the Flyers player tripping our D 10 seconds earlier on that play!

The whistle should have blown with two flyers lying in the crease.
They need to make an effort to get out.
The puck was NOT in the crease at the time.
Play gets blown dead in international competition 100% of the time.
One day the crease rule will be similar with refs blowing play dead for protracted infringement.
We don't see nearly the number of controversial calls in High End International Hockey.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
I was furious when seeing that play as it happened, because I, like the announcers and all the habs on the ice never saw the puck. On the replay, you can see that the ref clearly sees the puck and the only players in prices crease are Canadiens.

Eh... there were Flyers in there as well.

I thought it was OK to be in the crease if the puck got in there first and you're going for it. Now on that goal, the puck clearly was out of the crease and like, two guys from the Flyers were clearly in the crease and Price couldn't move at all. :laugh:

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I don't think there was anything wrong with the call at all and the only ridiculous thing I can find in this thread that is ridiculous is your borderline hysterical response to it.

Nynja*

When the puck is in the crease, the opposing players have some leniency to be in the crease as well. They cant be bulldozing the goaltender, but the puck in the area makes that area fair game.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
When the puck is in the crease, the opposing players have some leniency to be in the crease as well. They cant be bulldozing the goaltender, but the puck in the area makes that area fair game.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26480

It's really not as simple as you make it seem. If the puck is in the crease, it isn't ''fair game''. Players cannot interfere in any way, the only time it is accepted is if they are pushed into the goalie, and even then it has to be clear that they tried to avoid contact.

I suggest you re-watch the goal (Matt Read one).
http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2014020252&navid=sb:recap&intcmpid=sb-highlights

Look at Calaiacovo who just jumps down in the crease, then you have Read coming from the left that comes into the crease, falls on everybody, gets up takes the puck and scores. It was a ridiculous goal.

What's even more ridiculous is we had a goal disallowed when Gallagher didn't interfere and was given a penalty because the opponent was holding his stick. We actually went from 4-1 to having to defend a 5vs3. It was terrible officiating.
Just after they allowed the Read goal, they blow an early whistle in the Flyers's crease.

NHL officiating is really at a whole other level of crap.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The silence proves me point. We won so who cares... Hopefully behind the scenes Habs management cares and said something to hopefully affect future situations like this.

Well essentially yes, game is finished, we won. It's only normal.
But I think it's also more that people have accepted that the refs in the NHL are terrible. That's why people refer to this league as a bush one. Nothing is going to change. There's controversial calls almost in every game.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007

The silence you hear should tell you that you are wrong. Complaining does not change the rule book. The puck was never covered, Price was standing and his motion not impeded by any Flyer player.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The silence you hear should tell you that you are wrong. Complaining does not change the rule book. The puck was never covered, Price was standing and his motion not impeded by any Flyer player.

Any goal resulting after an attacking player prevents the goalie from moving freely in his crease should be disallowed. The exception to the rule is if the players was shoved in and even then, he needs to show an attempt at avoiding contact.
Rewatch the replay, Colo jumps to the ice in the crease, which causes the pile up. Play should have been blown dead at that point as this was what initiated the whole play that lead to the goal.

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
This play bugged me too, but honestly, I was way more bothered by the Plekanec disallowed goal... Gallagher was fighting against a bigger player for position in front of the net and they were both holding and pushing each other... no business in disallowing that goal.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

Except the ref must blow the play dead if he loses sight of the puck. Just because we can see the puck was free from our access to 12 camera angles, it doesn't mean the ref can use his intuition to put his whistle away.

Plus, as an earlier poster (Kriss) mentioned, 2 Flyers were in the crease inhibiting the movement of Price.

Weird play and a missed call IMO.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Any goal resulting after an attacking player prevents the goalie from moving freely in his crease should be disallowed. The exception to the rule is if the players was shoved in and even then, he needs to show an attempt at avoiding contact.
Rewatch the replay, Colo jumps to the ice in the crease, which causes the pile up. Play should have been blown dead at that point as this was what initiated the whole play that lead to the goal.

Colo was not in the crease or an obstruction. There was no reason to blow the play dead.

I agree with you on Gallagher's penalties, both were bad calls. One was totally in the imagination of the official.

Nynja*

Bitter over a game which we won 6-3. Refs make mistakes. In this case, it wasnt a mistake, and you're upset that the refs didnt make a mistake to benefit us.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Except the ref must blow the play dead if he loses sight of the puck. Just because we can see the puck was free from our access to 12 camera angles, it doesn't mean the ref can use his intuition to put his whistle away.

Plus, as an earlier poster (Kriss) mentioned, 2 Flyers were in the crease inhibiting the movement of Price.

Weird play and a missed call IMO.

The official was right on top of the play, had his eyes on the puck the entire time. He briefly brought the whistle to his mouth but the puck squirted free.

Read was shoved into Price by Malhotra and then removed himself from the crease. Colaiacovo was outside the crease. There was no interference.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

No, it's just that your thread blows.

HF-Addict

Feb 26, 2004
After seeing the replay, I think the mistake was not to allow this goal, but rather to disallow Plekanec goal earlier.

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011
One of the things that annoys me about human nature (and it makes itself evident in sports) is how we overreact when things go wrong and ignore wrong when things go right.

I guarantee you had the Flyers come back and won last night all the talk would have been about the ridiculous goal mouth scramble goal the Flyers were permitted to score about 30ish seconds after the whistle should have blown. Since they didn't win no one says a word. Ridiculous.

All the talk that did occur at the time was about the puck being visible. Craziness. What about the rule that the goalie has to have free mobility inside the blue paint to make a save? Not only should the play have been whistled dead long before, but the circus that ensued while the ref obsessed over the location of the puck could have resulted in a serious injury to Carey Price. Then what would everyone be saying?

It's the same with dirty hits. When they happen and no one gets hurt hardly a word is said. When a clean hit occurs that results in an injury the clean hit is called dirty. It's all ridiculous. Are we all so blind and stupid?

A couple of weeks ago a goal was disallowed on Carey Price because of contact in the crease while he was trying to make the save. Many complained and the next day Fraser wrote an article about it and quoted the rule that states a goalie must be free to move around and make a save in the blue paint. Where was that rule last night. Pure insanity!

Nhl is by far the weakest reffed league in north America. Inconsistent calls are the norm and every team is affected by it.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Nhl is by far the weakest reffed league in north America. Inconsistent calls are the norm and every team is affected by it.

NBA was also up there. They had refs involved in gambling and all. I think they cleaned it up, but you're always left wondering.

However, it's not technically speaking 'bad' reffing.

So yeah NHL reffing is probably the worst. I mean, just the fact that we often hear how a ref has to 'manage the game' or 'balance the penalties' is bad.

Just call it as you see it, regardless of the clock, score or whatever. It will manage itself perfectly fine. If a team has 12 penalties in a row, I don't care, they'll learn to play within the rules.

In fact, the very idea that the ref has to 'manage the game' actually leads to unmanageable games, because the players know they can try to bend the rules in some specific circumstances.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
The Gallagher disallowed goal was way worse and much more a blown call compared to Philly allowed goal.

At least with the Philly goal you could argue players pushed in and loose puck, Gallagher disallowed when zero contact was made and having his stick held was a BRUTAL call from an official to far away to see it clearly

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Colo was not in the crease or an obstruction. There was no reason to blow the play dead.

I agree with you on Gallagher's penalties, both were bad calls. One was totally in the imagination of the official.

Colo lunges by himself inside the crease and on to the right side of it. This causes Weaver to jump on him and a pile up ensues. Read goes in after and even falls on Price, gets up, skates back sees the puck and scores. Price never had time to recover and there's 5 players battling in his crease. How is Price supposed to get up and recover exactly? This all started from Colo lunging into the crease all by himself.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad