Proposal: Rickard Rakell

BoltsOfAnarchy

May 12, 2018
Largo
Just throwing this out for discussion...but what's everyone's take on Rakell? He was a stud a couple years ago but Anaheim's bland offense I think has capped his potential. Based on other rumblings it seems like he may be a trade candidate & has 1 year left on a very friendly contract (3.8 AAV).

obviously we're tight on the cap, but if we could make the $$ work, would this be someone that JBB & cooper would be interested in?? Personally I love the idea of adding a righty shot playing LW on either Point or Cirelli's line. And it seems like he could use a change of scenery as his stats have really dropped off last 2 years. In a perfect world (LOL) we would swap TJ plus a decent pick/prospect for this guy. Maybe a change of scenery for both players is something we could sell? Of course in a perfect world Tyler would produce some points & earn his contract or make himself desirable for other GMs....

But if not TJ...who/what would you trade to acquire this guy (with cap considerations)??

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Caphit of 3.785m for the next 2 years means we can't afford him. As of now, 2 of Johnson/Killorn/Palat/Gourde will have to go for us to ice a roster under the cap with 4-5 guys on league minimum.

Even if we drop Johnson and Killorn we have 75.5m tied to 14 players which means less than 1m each per remaining position to fill a 21 man roster.

Last edited:

BoltsOfAnarchy

May 12, 2018
Largo
Caphit of 3.785m for the next 2 years means we can't afford him. As of now, 2 of Johnson/Killorn/Palat/Gourde will have to go for us to ice a roster under the cap with 4-5 guys on league minimum.

Even if we drop Johnson and Killorn we have 75.5m tied to 14 players which means less than 1m each per remaining position to fill a 21 man roster.

Yes I understand the cap consideration. But I’m talking about a guy who could realistically be available based on circumstance & contract. I know we could throw around hypotheticals all day but I’m not talking about McDavid here lol...

And it wouldn’t be the first time we finagled a way around the cap to get a guy while the HFboard “experts” cried themselves to sleep...
Just curious, is this a guy we could trade for? How would he fit in? Does he take the stamkos spot on PP2 to launch one timers from the circle? People were claiming we’d have to give another team a 1st round pick to unload Johnson... so what if we did that with Anaheim? Would they take that deal for rakell?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Yes I understand the cap consideration. But I’m talking about a guy who could realistically be available based on circumstance & contract. I know we could throw around hypotheticals all day but I’m not talking about McDavid here lol...

And it wouldn’t be the first time we finagled a way around the cap to get a guy while the HFboard “experts” cried themselves to sleep...
Just curious, is this a guy we could trade for? How would he fit in? Does he take the stamkos spot on PP2 to launch one timers from the circle? People were claiming we’d have to give another team a 1st round pick to unload Johnson... so what if we did that with Anaheim? Would they take that deal for rakell?

No because trades involving Johnson were to free up cap not take 3.7m back. I don't think he'd fit because we'd have to unload him next year..

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Tampa would likely need Anaheim to retain the max on Rakell if there was any chance. It's difficult because right now there are several questions for next year, do Coleman and Goodrow want to re-sign, and are they willing to take a team friendly discount? I think they might convince Goodrow, but I have a feeling Coleman is likely gone(although imo they will try first to keep him and then lose Goodrow due to no money if they can). If Johnson and Killorn are traded and/or selected in the ED, then Rakell at 50% could work, but even then it would be very tight to make a 21 player roster work.

The team also has to consider the future of Palat, as with just one year remaining do they have the ability to re-sign him to another 3-5 year deal, or do they try and trade him for best value after the season? The same question however would apply to Rakell, and I'm not sure if Rakell is a better long term investment than Palat given their play as of late.

I think if Tampa makes any moves this season given their cap issues, it would be a depth upgrade on RD, perhaps someone like Demers, Montour etc(with retention of course, only rentals should be looked at since Tampa couldn't protect anyone they traded for in the ED). I think ultimately they'll do what they have to to trade TJ/have Seattle take him, trade Killorn, and decide who among Coleman or Goodrow they want to prioritize their efforts to keep. Joesph should get a bigger role moving forward and players like Volkov and ABB should also see an expanded role starting next season, provided they are still here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad