Rickard Rakell...WTF

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
In hindsight it seems like a good decision from the Ducks to keep Rakell, and to trade William Karlsson instead. I remember the discussion among Ducks fans which player to keep.

Please do not torment me with visions of things I can't have. :cry:

* * *​
20.7 isn't sustainable - you should cut your number in a little over half 20-20.. The lack of assists is very Clarkson esque

It's also very reminiscent of young Rick Nash, but that particular comparison doesn't let people feel all snotty and superior about not seeing this coming.

Heck, he even has the same puckhog issues Nash has had for the longest time.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Rakell played his junior hockey here in Plymouth. He showed an incredible amount of skill even then - - he was a lot of fun to watch. You just knew he would do well in the NHL.

Lyons71

Jun 27, 2003
Fullerton, CA
Visit site
He's pretty much the one creative player on the ducks currently. Perry is all but predictable (and slow) at this point. Getzlaf is predictable but is talented and fast/big enough to still do well.

Everyone else just plays obvious hockey. That's why our pp is poopoo.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I get he hasn't scored 40 goals yet but as I stated in my original post, had he not missed 8 games for visa/injury issues, he'd be legitimately on his way to 40+ goals.

That said my friend, he's on pace for 32 and Rakell could end up with 35+ easily. Pretty impressive for a guy that no one is talking about which is reason for my thread. I have no doubt that from what i've seen of him past two years, Rakell will have a few 40 goal years in his future....:nod:

It appears my reasoning for starting this thread back on 1/24 and my comments thereafter aren't that far off...eh?

Rakell has 32 currently with 8 games left after tonight and is on pace for 35 goals and 50 points having missed 8 games and so the likelihood that he would have reached 40 wasn't too far off at all...no? The guy is the real deal and I'm still shaking my head that someone forget who, actually mentioned the name David Clarkson in the same sentence as Rakell.

Even if his shooting % goes down to a more "human" 13-14% next year and seasons after that, with his skill set, why wouldn't 30-30-60 seasons and likely better not be the floor for him? I don't know but everything I've seen of him says "star player" and like some of have said, only reason he isn't talked about more and in the same vein as the Matthews,Laine's is simply due to the fact he plays his game on the west coast and most people are asleep when he's doing his magic and haven't seen him play.

For those like me who can't get to sleep before 1:00 AM on the east coast despite having to get up at 6 in the morning and get ready for work and who have the NHL Center Ice package, he has been a treat to watch this season and almost assuredly will be a treat to watch for the next decade or so.

Please I beg of whoever it was who even brought up David Clarkson as a comparison to Rakell....100 push ups right now as punishment....lol

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
That was a heck of trade Anaheim made getting Rakell (scoring at an elite first line rate) and Gibson (young elite goalie) from Toronto for Tyler Biggs who is currently plying his trade in the ECHL:laugh:

And people say Burkie's worst trade was Kessel for the two firsts!

Magnus the Duck

Nov 7, 2014
Sweden
See him as a 20-20/25-15 player going forward.
Silfverberg is a 40-45 point guy and Rakell is better than him on the offense.

I will never forget his late game-tying goal vs the Jets on Teemu night.

I really hate it that the official NHL channel blocks me in Sweden from watching NHL videos. I know a workaround, but every time I click on a blocked video I get irritated at NHL and at Viasat. I suspect they block them because of Viasat's broadcast deal over here.

Last edited:

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Reminds me of the best/2nd best 2014 drafted player in Pastrnak

Best hands on the Ducks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad