Rickard Rakell (Ducks): 1 goal in 60 shots (1.7%). How...?

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Rickard Rakell, a few years ago, was known as the Ducks' sniper. He had back to back 30-35 goal seasons in '17 and '18, leading the team in goals both seasons.

In '19 and '20, Rakell's goals and shooting-percentage declined quite a bit, but so did the Ducks in general, so although a noticeable decline, it wasn't necessarily shocking.

Rakell is only 27 years old. As of today (Feb. 22), he has 1 goal on 54 shots, for a staggeringly awful 1.9%. He is 1st on the Ducks in shots on goal, and 10th on the Ducks in goals. How is that even possible?

Reactions: BestPlayerAvailable

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Probably just terrible luck and when he was scoring his highs teams still respected Getzlaf as the biggest threat on the ice

Reactions: Getz2noone

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
No play makers on the roster really, Rakell is trying to do it all.... been fairly unlucky. I think he’s been our best forward this year.
He’ll bounce back if he’s traded to a contender, he’ll zegras might even get him to bounce back if they play together.

ducks are scoring at a very low pace. Would be dumb to sell low on him.... but from another teams stand point if you can buy lowish on him he’d be a great add.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Rakell has played very well, nothing is going in for him. Hopefully he gets to play with Zegras tonight. Think that could hopefully help. I want the organization to keep him around he is one of the few players at least trying and gives a shit.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Rickard Rakell, a few years ago, was known as the Ducks' sniper. He had back to back 30-35 goal seasons in '17 and '18, leading the team in goals both seasons.

In '19 and '20, Rakell's goals and shooting-percentage declined quite a bit, but so did the Ducks in general, so although a noticeable decline, it wasn't necessarily shocking.

Rakell is only 27 years old. As of today (Feb. 22), he has 1 goal on 54 shots, for a staggeringly awful 1.9%. He is 1st on the Ducks in shots on goal, and 10th on the Ducks in goals. How is that even possible?

6 shots on goal in tonight game and no goal according to Anaheim Ducks - Arizona Coyotes - February 22nd, 2021

I see the Ducks' PP is operating at a tidy 7.5%, with three goals on the season thus far.

Yikes.

Add 1 more goal on 5 power play chances....

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Seguin scored 29 then 16 in 48 and then had 1 goal on 70 shots. Rakell isn’t Seguin obviously but it isn’t like it’s unheard of that guys go through stretches where they get really unlucky

NK94

Feb 5, 2019
2.38 S% at 5v5 and a S% of 0 in over 44:33 worth of PP time will do that for you. His S% has been steadily getting worse since 2017-18 too, much like the Ducks.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
He's getting killed by Advanced Stats metrics. He's bleeding chances against. The Ducks lack playmakers but I also think their D isn't helping with the transition game.

Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

Tonight... I saw him take two bad low percentage shots. Maybe he had a dangerous scoring chance but I didn't notice. He wasn't as dangerous as in year's past (I haven't watched the Ducks in a year plus now)

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Found a cool player shot chart. NHL Game Page

upload_2021-2-23_0-58-28.png

jaloviina

1-2-3 stars!
Dec 24, 2015
Bunch of Jerks Finland
well it isn't in anyway normal season so I wouldn't compare it to anything actually. Closed playoff style divisions where same teams just grind against each other is way diffent what normal season was.

Add to that how the players, staff and even players closed ones are forced to quarantine and that can and probably does play tricks to playing some take it better and some worse its no surprise how many veteran players have just called it quits this season.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Not getting to play against the Canadian teams is really hurting all the goalscorers in the American teams.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
So this thread is the other end of the spectrum from the Brady Tkachuk is the greatest player according to advanced statistics thread?

Neither player is going to continue being either the greatest or the worst long term. And all things considered, I'd rather have Rakell on my team (which I freely admit is probably because I've seen a lot more Ducks games than Sens). The man is snakebit at the moment on a team that was expected to be bad & so far is wildly exceeding those expectations...in the wrong direction.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
To be honest i don't think one goal is going to get him going.. at least for more than a little while.

Feels like a change of scenery is needed.
I agree to that too... and hopefully we do move him... but i wouldn't really be interested in selling low on him

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
Rickard Rakell's name always reminds me of the episode of Seinfeld where they go to see CheckMate but it's sold out so they go to Rochelle, Rochelle instead. "A young girl's strange, erotic journey from Milan to Minsk." In a different episode, George rents it and racks up $98 in late fees. And then it shows up again in season 6 as a musical. They really milked it.

Anyways I always thought Rakell's nickname should be 'Erotic Journey'.
george.jpg

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Easy explanation. I have been picking him for my DFS rosters. I have the inherent ability to jinx those I pick. No matter the sport. For the Daytona 500 I crashed out my whole roster in the first pile up. :eek:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad