Proposal: Rickard Rakell + Boston 1st for pick 7/8 + cap dump

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
there's not a chance in hell Anaheim takes on a cap dumb with more than 2 years left on their deal (Seabrook or Okoposo isn't going to happen).

To echo what others said; Rakell's value is going to be to a contender's due to his contract. The only team I think who may pony up more than they should for him is Edmonton (if they get bounced by Chicago this year). I could see them going for Rakell + Boston's pick for 11thish overall. Curious what Oiler fans think of that?

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
You're not getting Cirelli for any pick. You're going to get him by being able to take back a big contract. Far more likely that TB is able to move one or more of those contracts to teams said players are willing to waive for though - making room to resign Cirelli/Serg in the process. TB will try everything they can & trading one of these RFAs will be a last resort. To the point where the pick they get is close to meaningless.

We got ROR for a late 1st. We got Skinner for a 2nd. These type of deal never require an early pick.

In reality - you are honestly not getting a much different player by trading away 8 than you are by trading away 20. You need to curb your expectations I think... Otherwise you are going to end up disappointed. Nobody is trading away a superstar for 8ov any more than they would for 20ov.

My scenario is realistic while yours seems wildly optimistic.

Reinhart is essentially a complimentary player who most of us want to keep around - so don't take anything away from Rakell here. He'd be a very welcome addition.

We can use 8ov & HOPE to get a game breaking talent in 3 years if we are lucky. Or we could end up with Nylander/Mitts 3.0. Right now I'm all in on moving that pick to get to the damn playoffs.
See bolded-
1) If they are moving Cirelli it's because they couldn't move a big contract (most likely because the players won't waive their NMC). However if we had to take a player like Johnson, Gourde, or Killorn we could swing that. Ultimately we have no idea what TB would be looking for if they get to the point where moving Cirelli becomes something they have to consider. You and I could both speculate, but neither one of us has any real insight on the matter. We both agree moving Cirelli or Sergachev is likely a last resort. I'm certainly not putting all my eggs in that basket.
2) Those are 2 trades and both players forced their way out (to varying degrees) Skinner was a winger on an expiring deal anyhow. There was a lot more to the ROR deal than a late 1st round pick (it was actually the 1st pick of the 2nd round, but close enough) Zadorov was a mid 1st, Compher was a good prospect, even Grigs was a high pick although he was trending towards busting. For every deal you point out like that, there's a Jordan Staal or a Derek Stepan to counter your argument deals that required that high pick. Typically good young centers don't come cheap and that's our biggest need this offseason. Don't piss away our best asset to get one with.
3) Dead wrong. Late 1sts are largely used for rental players, early 1sts can yield good young players with term or high end prospects with years and years of team control. The difference in value is immense.
4) My scenario is, you only move the 8th overall pick for a good, young, 2C, otherwise you keep the pick. Not unrealistic at all.
Ultimately I don't want our GM to be afraid to use an 8th overall pick because his predecessors made poor picks. Do your HW and make the right pick. Don't get cute and pass on a player like Sergachev. Even worse than that, don't trade a pick like that for cap relief and depth players. That's a real good way to stay mired in mediocrity.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
For the development of the young centers and to keep Eichel happy, Buff needs better wingers. 8oa is not any guaranteed stud and it usually takes a few years of development before entering the league. A few more years of frustration for Eichel and hurting the drvelopment of your young centers because they don't have the complimentary talent around them. The value differential between 8oa and 25oa isn't as much as people think.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
For the development of the young centers and to keep Eichel happy, Buff needs better wingers. 8oa is not any guaranteed stud and it usually takes a few years of development before entering the league. A few more years of frustration for Eichel and hurting the drvelopment of your young centers because they don't have the complimentary talent around them. The value differential between 8oa and 25oa isn't as much as people think.

The thing is nobody should give a damn about Eichel or Dahlin for that matter being unhappy for another year or two.....
What they should be really scared about is them being unhappy 3-5 years from now...
Because if these guys near the end of their contracts and want out, your franchise is screwed..

So you better think long and hard about the kind of move you make. This draft class has a very decent top10.
They really shouldn't trade out of it unless they get a steal of a deal.
Sabres have ton of capspace to burn and tons of teams will have wingers to unload to free up capspace.

Its on your GM to make the best of it but I highly doubt that trading 8overall for anything that is not atleast a Cirelli level foundation piece going forward for the next 5-10 years would be a smart move.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
The thing is nobody should give a damn about Eichel or Dahlin for that matter being unhappy for another year or two.....
What they should be really scared about is them being unhappy 3-5 years from now...
Because if these guys near the end of their contracts and want out, your franchise is screwed..

So you better think long and hard about the kind of move you make. This draft class has a very decent top10.
They really shouldn't trade out of it unless they get a steal of a deal.
Sabres have ton of capspace to burn and tons of teams will have wingers to unload to free up capspace.

Its on your GM to make the best of it but I highly doubt that trading 8overall for anything that is not atleast a Cirelli level foundation piece going forward for the next 5-10 years would be a smart move.
Maybe, maybe not. You aren't just trading your 8oa, your trading back and getting a cap dump. Rakell would be absolutely perfect with Eichel. Probably be a 75 point guy imo. If I'm Buffalo I wouldnt be looking at a slow playing this to be good in 4 or 5 years. Culture is gonna erode and you have amazing young pieces playing in the NHL. You guys are going to be going into your win now window probably next year and you have young centers that need support. Looks to me like high end wingers are your number 1 need and finding top line caliber wingers in free agency means you are probably gonna get stuffed with an overpriced winger on the latter half of his career, not a young guy that is going to grow and build chemistry with your core. Those free agency moves are almost always bad. If you needed to fill a pro line winger spot that would be one thing but you need high end talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad