Proposal: Rickard Rakell + Boston 1st for pick 7/8 + cap dump

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
Of course spell check wins another one in the thread title but none the less here we go

Rickard Rakell + Boston 1st for the devils #7 pick or Buffalos’ #8 pick + a cap dump from either team.

both the devils and Sabres have top centers that rakell would compliment well.

once getzlaf digressed and the Ducks team sunk offensively as a whole rakell Numbers also sunk. Give him a great center again and he should return to a 30-30+ left winger.

both devils and Sabre’s need to start competing and with rakell he is on a great contract for three more seasons.= Guaranteed Stanley cup GUARANTEED!!!

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Of course spell check wins another one in the thread title but none the less here we go

Rickard Rakell + Boston 1st for the devils #7 pick or Buffalos’ #8 pick + a cap dump from either team.

once getzlaf digressed and the Ducks team sunk offensively as a whole rakell Numbers also sunk. Give him a great center again and he should return to a 30-30+ left winger.

both devils and Sabre’s need to start competing and with rakell he is on a great contract for three more seasons.= Guaranteed Stanley cup GUARANTEED!!!

He is not worth a top 10 pick

Rakell has teo full seasons left. his value would be more like a playoff team 1st and B prospect at deadline. Salary retention also part of it.

Reactions: Meeqs

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I don’t think Rakell is a center.

Boston’s pick is likely 24-31.

If you trade Rskrll for a playoff teams 1st and B prodoect...

Two picks in the picks in the 20s does not get you a top 10 pick. There is a huge difference in potential.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Rackell is a very valuable piece to contenders due to his contract but wouldn't be valuable at all to teams who are bad enough to have a top 10 pick due to age and term.

In general you aren't getting a top 10 pick unless you are moving something incredibly similar, such as a pick in a similar range or an elite prospect of similar status .

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Rakell has looked like he's playing on Cruise Control the past 2 seasons. Put him on a playoff team then he'll likely wake up but his value is hurt right now.
Given the cap situation of teams wanting to compete, his value might go up given he can fit into most teams cap space.
There is no way to know for sure if Rakell will return to form but he might want to play his best hockey since he's a UFA in 2 years and will want a payday.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Rakell has looked like he's playing on Cruise Control the past 2 seasons. Put him on a playoff team then he'll likely wake up but his value is hurt right now.
Given the cap situation of teams wanting to compete, his value might go up given he can fit into most teams cap space.
There is no way to know for sure if Rakell will return to form but he might want to play his best hockey since he's a UFA in 2 years and will want a payday.

I didn’t research to say who was he pkaying eith in those 30 goal sessons vs the past few ehrn he’s more a mid 40 pt player. Is he getting top checking line competition or was he benefiting from having better linemstes with him.

His price of near $4M isn’t cheap. If you say have him okay with Eichrl and his numbers would go up..so would many others including those who are in ELCs or making under $2M per.

In buffalo the only cap dump is Okposo who has 3 yrs snd $6M per left. This was brought up in another thread...Buffalo is not attaching an 8OA to Okposo to get rid of him.

The way Zi look at it..if Cozens is a success and starts his ELC next year then Okposos contract us just saving cap space for his second contract.

Okposos contract is buyout friendly in the final year.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
Rackell has a lot of value, but he doesn't have this kind of value to teams like New Jersey or Buffalo.

If I'm a fan of either NJ/BUF I'd be encouraged by a deal like this. How many years are they going to stockpile top picks?

Rakell is very underrated at the moment and there's no reason to think he doesnt have his best years in front of him. IMO adding Bostons 1st and a cap dump makes this a good hockey trade

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I didn’t research to say who was he pkaying eith in those 30 goal sessons vs the past few ehrn he’s more a mid 40 pt player. Is he getting top checking line competition or was he benefiting from having better linemstes with him.

His price of near $4M isn’t cheap. If you say have him okay with Eichrl and his numbers would go up..so would many others including those who are in ELCs or making under $2M per.

The problem with Rakell is he can't be the guy on the line. He is a good complimentary top line winger. The Ducks don't have another top line player. At this point in his career, Getzlaf is "just" a very good second line center, Henrique is a good 2C, Steel is a 3C. Rakell is the only top line player the Ducks have so defenses can focus in on him. Rakell is at his best when there is someone else that takes the attention and he can use his skills and hands away from the focus of the D. He may have been just above a 40 point player, but he's second on the team in points (1 point back in 6 less games). He isn't Pat Kane or Ovi, he can't carry a team's offense, but if you were paying for a guy that could carry a top line and is making under $4 mil, you're paying a HELL of a lot more than a top 10 pick. Now I'm not saying that Buffalo or NJ should make the trade, but he's worth more than a late 1st and a mediocre prospect like others have suggested (especially when dealt with another late 1st and taking back a cap dump and/or retaining).

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
The Sabres have wingers to play with Eichel. We need forward who can produce when they're not stapled to one of the best centers in the game.

Reactions: Dmang714

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I love Rakell, but I can't trade 7OA for him.

That said, you're completely missing the point by marketing Rakell to non-playoff teams with cap space for days. Rakell's production significantly outpaces how much he is paid, so the Ducks would be much better off auctioning him to cap-strapped contenders.

If they put 50% retention on the table, the return will be absurd. Rakell at ~$1.9M for two years would be the best value contract in the league, by far. Teams pay handsomely for that. Look at Coleman. A ~$1.9M Rakell would return even more than that.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
He is not worth a top 10 pick

Rakell has teo full seasons left. his value would be more like a playoff team 1st and B prospect at deadline. Salary retention also part of it.

Your stated value sounds like the value on a Rakell type as a rental player. He’s on one of the better value contracts non elc in the league. Plus a cap dump is included which is valuable.

If Edmonton had 7 or 8 and could dump Neal I’d be all over this

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
If we're talking

Rakell + boston 1st for 8oa + Skinner

sign me the f**k up

Sam Pollock

Mar 1, 2013
Calgary
If I was the gm of Buffalo, I would be more interested in John Gibson and Trevor Zegras. But in order to move the 8OA in a deep draft the offer would have to knock my socks off. In other words, overpayment.

As for a cap dump, they have a lot of cap space for next season.

Rackell is a nice player and there is nothing wrong with him but it does very little for the Sabres to advance to next years playoffs.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
The only GUARENTEE that comes with him is that he averages about 10 missed games a year.
I’ll pass.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
it would have to be a hell of a cap dump. if the blackhawks end up with the 9th or 10th pick then

rakell+boston first for seabrook+9th/10th overall

In one of the past drafts there was a rumor going around that the blackhawks were willing to add to seabrook to get rid of him. This might work for both teams. Seabrook has 4 years left and if blackhawks cover the bonus ducks would only need to pay him 16.5 million over 4 years. Blackhawks get rid of one of their worst contracts to speed up their retool

Reactions: Perennial

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Rakell + BOS 1st for BUF 1st (#8) + Okposo.

Buffalo then ice the lineup below and use their extra capspace to add some quality depth pieces and a goalie.

Rakell ---- Eichel ----- Reinhardt
Skinner -- Cozens ---- Olofsson
Kahun -- Johansson -- xxxxx

Dahlin ----- Jokiharju
xxxxxx ----- Montour
McCabe --- Ristolainen

Reactions: KickHisAssZegrass

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
If I'm a fan of either NJ/BUF I'd be encouraged by a deal like this. How many years are they going to stockpile top picks?

Rakell is very underrated at the moment and there's no reason to think he doesnt have his best years in front of him. IMO adding Bostons 1st and a cap dump makes this a good hockey trade

New Jersey is in a clear re-tool situation. Buffalo is closer to making that type of attempt to take a step forward, but I think it would be the wrong move at this time in the context of a very competitive Eastern conference. That Tampa, Boston, Washington, Pittsburgh group looks like it has some gas left in the tank. Philadelphia, Carolina and Toronto have the talent to be perennial playoff teams. While not impressive on paper, the way the Isles play ensures that they'll be in the mix year after year. The same holds true for Columbus. The Rangers are coming on and have an easier go of talent acquisition. The Panthers are there too, if not broken up. By the time the landscape is better for Buffalo, that contract that adds to Rakell's value will be over.

I think Anaheim's best best for the high potential piece that the OP was aiming for is a Granlund/Fiala type deal that sees a win now type team trade a young player that is in between the amateur top prospect and breakout stage.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Last thing buffalo should be doing is gambling on a player coming off two down years in a row with a top ten pick. They can't absorb anymore disasters.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Rakell would be a great pick up for a contending team but I don’t see him flourishing on a bad team. He seems to need elite players around him to produce, not the type to make lesser players better.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Sounds like fair trade. Would Montreal's 9th do the trick? Including Alzner.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Rakell + late 1st

For

Okposo + 8OV

As a Sabres fan I'd be down with this.

Edit - above post beat me to it...
Now what do you do with that cap space? Buffalo isn't a desirable destination for free agents and you just traded the best asset the team has to potentially get a #2 center for a 2nd line winger. The Sabres have much bigger problems than Kyle Okposo. 2nd line RW isn't at the top of the list of things to fix. Pretty easy pass for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad