Rick Tocchet should win the Jack Adams

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Please point me to another team that literally had their franchise player and face of the entire franchise walk away for nothing. Remember the Deadspin article entitled "Season previews for 30 NHL teams and the Islanders"? I do.

Belfour leaves Chicago, signs with Dallas
Chara leaves Ottawa, signs with Bruins
Scott Niedermayer leaves New Jersey, signs with Anaheim
Marion Gaborik leaves Minnesota, signs with Rangers
Brad Richards leaves Tampa Bay, signs with Rangers
Brian Rafalski leaves New Jersey, signs with Detroit
Brett Hull leaves St. Louis, signs with Dallas
Curtis Joseph leaves Edmonton, signs with Toronto
Daniel Briere leaves Buffalo, signs with Flyers
Chris Drury leaves Buffalo, signs with Rangers

Do you want more?

Reactions: mouser

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Belfour leaves Chicago, signs with Dallas
Chara leaves Ottawa, signs with Bruins
Scott Niedermayer leaves New Jersey, signs with Anaheim
Marion Gaborik leaves Minnesota, signs with Rangers
Brad Richards leaves Tampa Bay, signs with Rangers
Brian Rafalski leaves New Jersey, signs with Detroit
Brett Hull leaves St. Louis, signs with Dallas
Curtis Joseph leaves Edmonton, signs with Toronto
Daniel Briere leaves Buffalo, signs with Flyers
Chris Drury leaves Buffalo, signs with Rangers

Do you want more?
Hull and possibly Belfour are the only ones even remotely comparable. As far as absolute face of a franchise Hull would be the only comparable. As far as level of player Chara would be the only comparable of the cap era and again he was not the Sens franchise player and pretty much the team's identity.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
To overlook Rod Brind 'Amour at Carolina is laughable at best. Especially, when you look at how the Canes are tied with the Lightning for the best record in the NHL since 1 Jan.

Reactions: Jerkob Slavin

DropIt

Oct 21, 2009
Red Deer, AB
Look at Tampa's roster, then look at the roster Trotz has to work with and get back to me.

Once again, that doesnt matter. Cooper still has a room to run, needs to create and run a system that allows his guys to succeed and needs to keep them motivated to perform on a nightly basis.
The award is best coach, not best results with lowest expectations.

Answer me this, do you think if the season started over again and Tritz coaches the Lightning instead, they would be better than they are now?

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Once again, that doesnt matter. Cooper still has a room to run, needs to create and run a system that allows his guys to succeed and needs to keep them motivated to perform on a nightly basis.

Answer me this, do you think if the season started over again and Tritz coaches the Lightning instead, they would be better than they are now?

Except it does matter with respect to the Jack Adams award. This goes to the coach who took a team from the gutter to a top spot in the conference. Trotz will win.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
He should be in the discussion, especially if they make the playoffs. Arizona's roster is pretty awful

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki

It's also not an award for best team record. That's what Presidents Trophy is for.

There is no book on how the best coach is measured. Coaches job is to get the most out of his group and many teams are in different circumstances of what they're maximum potential is.

Cooper should be in the discussion, but i don't think you can argue that if he was the coach of the Ottawa Senators they still wouldn't have a winning record. Thus, the team they have in their disposal matters.

DropIt

Oct 21, 2009
Red Deer, AB
Except it does matter with respect to the Jack Adams award. This goes to the coach who took a team from the gutter to a top spot in the conference. Trotz will win.

It should go to the coach running over the rest of the league and dominating all statistical categories while doing it

Jerkob Slavin

Likable Jerk
Mar 8, 2012
Monroe, NC
To overlook Rod Brind 'Amour at Carolina is laughable at best. Especially, when you look at how the Canes are tied with the Lightning for the best record in the NHL since 1 Jan.

I would like to see HCRBA get some love, but to be a serious contender he’s got a lot more work to do.

A win tonight in Columbus would go a long way towards ending the drought.

Reactions: mikeyfan

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Hull and possibly Belfour are the only ones even remotely comparable. As far as absolute face of a franchise Hull would be the only comparable. As far as level of player Chara would be the only comparable of the cap era and again he was not the Sens franchise player and pretty much the team's identity.

And even Belfour was traded to the Sharks. They didn't get much for him, but it was far from nothing.

Reactions: sabremike

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Trotz very easily

Ive never seen anything quite like it to see the change Trotz did to NYI.

Its completely mind boggling

puckIuck

Jan 11, 2018

its for the coach that has contributed the most to their teams overall success. tampa is still a 50 win team without cooper

Reactions: Thrasymachus

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think these are the nominees:
Barry Trotz
Bill Peters
Rod Brind'Amour/Rick Tocchet (depending on which of their respective teams makes the playoffs)

Barry Trotz wins it, easily.

Last edited:
Reactions: Katie Connauton

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad