News Article: Rick Pracey Hired as Director of Amateur Scouting

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
For those who didn't read the article... Former director of amateur scouting for the Avs and Flyers.

Not versed enough in the Avs and Flyers cupboards to know if this is a good, bad, or meh hire.

EDIT: Late to the party.

Nice picks with Barrie and O'Reilly obviously, but not sure who else he's found.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I'm surprised Wright is out, he seemed to be a favored son. Maybe he was more of a Holland favored son and Jackson thought otherwise.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
That's a bit out of left field considering Wright was Holland's guy coming over from Detroit.

This Pracey guy had a rep of being able to find talent with the Aves a decade ago, but looks like he was fired from that same job for too many high profile misses and ignoring the euro market. Generally takes half a decade to see how an amateur scout pans out, so hope this is a good hire because it'll heavily impact the team's success down the road.

Edit - looks like he hit a homerun in his first season, then managed to get just 3 NHLers in the next 5 drafts, two of which were drafted in the top 3(Landeskog/McKinnon). How the hell did this guy get a rep of "finding talent"? :laugh:

Last edited:

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
wonder what his influence in Philly was because their drafting has been shambolic, not sure about avs either other than 2009

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Tough to look good when you have no draft picks. I was never a big fan of Wright but holland frittered away a lot of picks many on guys that did nothing.

Change is good but hiring this guy now indicaes to me we have already got the next GM in the building, which makes me nervous.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Interesting. Doing a dive, he was fired from Colorado in 2014 after drafting MacKinnon, Landeskog, O'Reilly, Barrie.....and apparently has a historical aversion to drafting outside NA. Word is Patrick Roy and him didn't see eye to eye at the time.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Pretty huge news. Jackson making changes already?

Anyone know anything about the guy?

Saw this on Twitter:

Everything after 2009 for his tenure with the Avs is very very very uninspiring.

Also the Flyers drafting has been pretty meh as well.

Yikes.

1692736474701.png

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV

Saw this on Twitter:

His only good year. Ya'll are toast. He's awful.

Edit: Some context. He loves the OHL, and really doesn't focus to hard elsewhere. He likes overagers w/ character, guys under 5'10", and just really struggles anywhere on the board.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Lmao pasta was drafted 25th overall… this proves shit.
If you look at that draft in its entirety, the Colorado pick was the only one chosen in the 1st round who didn't play any NHL games. They also passed on alot of significant players who went in the next few picks that i didn't highlight. (e.g. Kempe, Demko, Barbashev)

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
If you look at that draft in its entirety, the Colorado pick was the only one chosen in the 1st round who didn't play any NHL games. They also passed on alot of significant players who went in the next few picks that i didn't highlight. (e.g. Kempe, Demko, Barbashev)
Yah I went through that draft and it was pretty woof for Colorado. However my point is a late late first round pick busting isn’t anything new and 24 other teams passed on Pasta.

Reactions: unicornBLOOD

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012

Saw this on Twitter:

Hello lads, I saw this thread title in the sidebar and had a giggle.

This was a good first year. It did not go so well after that.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Looking at our Roster we have 3 whole players that we drafted and developed since the McDavid draft that have HELPED this team win games. Not just show up and tread water.. but HELP win. And only 1 of them has been truly impactful. And that player struggled hard last year till Ekholm came.

1. Even Bouchard - Nice player that I like but he's a defensive nightmare without the right partner. But at least he's helped the team and contributed.
2. Ryan Mcleod - There's something there. He plays and helps the team a bit. Not going to anoint him some amazing pick with what we've seen so far. But a good pick/develop none the less.
3. Desharnais - Helped us a bit when we were poo poo. Then got crushed in the playoffs unfortunately. I like him but if I'm being honest he still has a lot to prove. Cheering for him.

That's it. Those are the only players currently on the roster helping this team win hockey games.

1. Jesse - Bustasauras rex. He hurt this team more than he helped it over the years.
2. Yamamoto - helped the team.. hurt the team..Helped the team.. Hurt the team.. off the team. meh at best. Though I'll buy the shit luck argument about health with him. I really liked him.
3. Broberg - Yah yah still waiting.... If I had to wager I don't think there's much of a player there, hope I'm wrong. Nice skating and not much else beyond the rare nice play. Man would be nice if found those nice plays more often.
3. Holloway - I'm excited but this egg hasn't hatched.
4. Xavier - not going to say anything as this ones a bit early to judge. He's not exactly killing it from what I've heard once you get past the hopium.
5. Schaefer - hell he's probably helped us more than them all from an asset point of view.

I love prospects and have been around these boards for years. But god this team seems like they're always awful at it out of the top 5. The cycle of hope and the slow realization that there's really not much there etc.

I doubt a new head scout will change anything. They've gone through enough of them and nothing really changes. 1 hit every 3 years beyond a top 5 gimme.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad