Rick MacLeish Passes Away at Age 66

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
Man, how the years have passed....

One of my favorite Flyers back in the day.

May he RIP!

4838-163Fr.jpg

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Yet another heartbreak... RIP, Hawk... one of my all-time favorite Flyers... Such a sad day.

My deepest condolences to Rick's family and the entire Flyers Organization Family for the loss of this great man... and Sports Legend

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Back in the day there used to be pick up hockey at the Class of 23 Rink (U of Penn) somewhere around noon on weekdays. I went to PSU but started at Ogontz Campus so I would go down to Penn to play hockey. The Flyers practiced after our pickup game. Once during our game I noticed MacLeish watching us- thought it was so cool that we were at least able to hold his interest in some way (he wasn't laughing so that was good).

Practices were closed so they would kick us out, but we could sometimes hang around long enough to see the Flyers skating around warming up. One day I saw MacLeish standing at one blue line and just snapping wrist shots over the glass at the other end. I was in awe, thinking that if I had a full head of steam and a full wind up I wouldn't even be able to hit the net in the air from that far away.

And he was such an amazing skater- one of the few that I would put in the same class as Orr.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
child of the seventies here...Hawk was a fast, fearless, talented player but more than that, he was one of those rare clutch players who scored goals when they really counted. he was one of the reasons the "broadstreet bullies" kicked your ass on the scoreboard too. RIP Rick Macleish. you were a true flyer.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
MacLeish was one of the most underrated players in league history. And maybe even the most underrated Flyer too. Sad that his time came.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
My dad was an early season ticket holder. We sat on the second row in the corner. I probably saw him play over a hundred times. He spent his life playing the game he loved and gave many of us fans that great thrill of seeing him come speeding down the ice and whistling one past a floundering goalie. The fans would go nuts, the Spectrum would shake. He would have that wry smile and everyone in the building including the other team was thinking how awesome that was. He will be missed. Thanks for the great memories Rick.

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
Yup, watching the HBO broad street bullies was great, becuase the 70s flyers were before my time, was born in 82. Gonna be missed

what current flyer reminds you of Rick and anyone can answer

mac_zps1arpzpz1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I was born in '63 and remember the 70s Flyers pretty well. Macleish IMO is unlike anyone on the current Flyers and if a sniper like him were injected into this lineup they would jump up the standings even with the mediocre defensive corps at this point. Again IMO , big time player that would fit well with Giroux ,( I'd like to add) or Voraceck depending on what positions you'd want to play these guys....

Last edited:

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
I was born in '63 and remember the 70s Flyers pretty well. Macleish IMO is unlike anyone on the current Flyers and if a sniper like him were injected into this lineup they would jump up the standings even with the mediocre defensive corps at this point. Again IMO , big time player that would fit well with Giroux ,( I'd like to add) or Voraceck depending on what positions you'd want to play these guys....

I was thinking the very same thing... The Flyers need a Player like Hawk... If it were magically possible, I'd love to see him center Raffl and Jake and have Jake feed him the puck... he Flyers need a speedster clucth player and a sniper who can score from nowhere.

Players like the Hawk are few and far between... so much of the Bullies Year success was due to Rick... so little credit is given him with Clarkie, Bernie, Arnie, Hammer and The Fog getting most of it... 1976 without him and Bernie went a far way in showing that; IMO the Flyers would have won their third straight Cup had they been playing and healthy... The Organization has long wished for, but never saw, another Rick MacLeish... To be honest, in many ways he was not a Flyers type of Player... yet in many ways he was... but in the end he was an integral part of the Flyers Organizational Legacy. Rick as a Player has been missed since he left; as a person he will be missed forever.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Nice job by Emrick to give some love to MacLeish tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad