Rumor: Rick Dhaliwal- Ethan Bear will be signing in about 2-3 weeks. UPDATED: Looks like he will sign with Capitals according to Friedman

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
According to Dhaliwal:

6 teams are highly coveting Bear and has been in contact with his camp since September. AAV will be around 1 mil pro-rated.

Dhaliwal says signing wont be about the money as all teams pretty much offering the same dollar amount. It will be about opportunity and success. Bear wants to showcase himself and play with Elite talent and make a playoff run so that he can set himself up for a long term contract in the summer.

I wonder which 6 teams are interested? Obviously Canucks being one of them and are proabably dangling a pairing with Q Hughes to sweeten their case. They were a dynamic pairing at times previously.

Last edited:
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Why would any team be "heavily interested" in Ethan Bear?

Bear was good in 60+ games for Canucks. He is solid.

I'd say he is definitely a 4-5-6 Dman and can be a #3 at times.

Those are coveted in the league, and to obtain them asset-free just makes him more intriguing.

For the Canucks, he would be a massive upgrade on Tyler Myers who is currently playing a 3-6 Role.

Reactions: jackjohnson

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Why would any team be "heavily interested" in Ethan Bear?
Not every team is run as stupidly as the Oilers, and not every fanbase will do things like bomb his instagram with racist abuse. He's a free asset on a cheap contract that can play top 4 minutes.

Bear is a good player. Some Oilers fans just really, really suck.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Don't know why he wouldn't come back to Van unless it's someone like the AVs or Rangers interested.
He might be miffed that they didn't sign him due to his injury. I mean, nobody else did, but he might feel a bit down on that.
Also Canucks have totally revamped their defense since last year. There is a lot more competition than before. It's not an automatic top-4 slot anymore. Bear may, at times, be fighting for bottom pairing minutes.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
And if the 1 year, $1M contract is true, every team could fit him in with minimal movement.
The savings of sending a player down to the A is upwards of just under $1.1 million I believe. So, if you have someone making more than that, whom you feel Bear is better than, you just waive that Dman.

I mean, the Canucks could waive Myers and at his $6 mill cap hit ($1 mill salary) goes unclaimed, he would then have to report to Abbotsford since he only holds a MNTC, not a NMC. Even if he does go to Abby, that frees up the cap room at the $1.1 mill to sign Bear.

Reactions: Peter Griffin

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Semi related, but happy to see Will Lagesson playing well. Always liked him as an Oiler. Solid, no nonsense defenceman that does his job and never complains.

He's been surprisingly good, I'm not a big fan of the idea of him in the top 4 for the next month but he can play on the bottom pair for sure.

I will say this, there is NO offense with him.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
He's been surprisingly good, I'm not a big fan of the idea of him in the top 4 for the next month but he can play on the bottom pair for sure.

I will say this, there is NO offense with him.
Oh yeah none whatsoever haha. He'll likely never even hit ten points in a season, but he's absolutely fine as a team's 6-7 guy.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Doesn't Bear have to sign today or hereafter go through league-wide waivers after he signs?
December 1st only matters to RFAs, I thought he was, but he's UFA.

League wide waivers only happens if you sign a player who was playing in a pro league.

When Calgary offer sheeted RoR back in the day, had Colorado not matched it, Calgary would have lost the picks and been forced to put RoR on waivers because he had played games in a pro league that year.

Bear is UFA and hasn't signed in any pro league, so he's free to sign whenever and doesn't need waivers for it.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
I'd like for Bear to play instead of Myers but I don't think management plan to sit Myers as 7D as the norm. He's a vet with room presence and has been on the team for a while now, as well, his play has definitely improved this year as well, though not up to a $6M level of course. Unless they plan to rotate who is sitting when everyone is healthy I'm not sure Bear is returning to the Canucks.

Last edited:

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
If the Bruins still ever wear this jersey, I'd say that would be the ideal fit:

1701457060566.png

Tairy Greene

Feb 2, 2020
He's an OK 3rd pair guy from what I remember? I'd think lots of teams should have interest, especially with injuries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad