Rumor: Rick Dhaliwal- Canucks looking to re-sign Zadorov before he hits UFA. Vancouver was high on Zadorov's UFA destination list.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
According to Dhaliwal this morning:

- Canucks have been after Zadorov for a long time
-Tochett really wanted Zadorov
- Beauvaillier trade was all for Zadorov
- They got Zadorov cheap because they had cap space and cgy didnt have to retain
- They want to re-sign Zadorov to a new contract before he hits free agency
-Zadorov had Vancouver as one of his top UFA destinations if he was to hit Free Agency.

What do you think a new contract would look like? Big Z is 28 yrs old and the cap is going up.
He is probably a 4-5-6 Dman depending how good your D-core is.

According to insiders there was about 3 serious teams after Big Z ( Van, Tor, NJD) and about 10 teams that checked in. I wonder if that would force a bidding war at free agency or the interest in Big Z was strictly as a rental.

If a pylon like Gudbranson can get 4x4 as a UFA, I think Big Z can get somewhere around 3-4 years @ 4.25 -4.75 AAV.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Why didn't the Flames want to retain salary?

Nice way to shoot yourself in foot by not retaining salary on a pending UFA and killing the trade market for him.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Well his agent, Dan "We Are Gold Star" Milstein, was so busy hyping up the Leafs a month ago that I'm not sure what his reaction is now.

I'm sure he's working on a deal with Vancouver though, for his client's sake. :laugh:

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
He wanted somewhere in the 4-5M range for 5-6 years in Calgary. I would think the ask would be similar in Vancouver. I think you guys will like Zadorov. 250 pound men should not move like he does. He's incredibly strong and just shrugs off forecheckers. He's got a very hard wrist shot. Like 90MPH hard. He does make some puzzling plays at times, but is extremely physical and denies zone entries very well. I can't believe you got him for that price. Should have been more. He'll be your #3 defenseman IMO and stylistically is perfect for you guys.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

Nice way to shoot yourself in foot by not retaining salary on a pending UFA and killing the trade market for him.
Flames are using LTIR to exceed the cap (insert proper terminology here) so the cap space was desirable to allow flexibility. Whether it's for roster moves or for trades later on.

Two retention spots are permitted. The Flames have six pending UFAs to deal with, and if the bigger names are traded (Lindholm, Hanifin) retention might be needed to move those guys for maximum return. It also opens the possibility of being a broker for cap space - acting as middleman and retaining salary in a three way trade to buy a draft pick or two.

It's equally possible that ownership didn't allow it. They're not keen on salary retention, it's happened like once.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Flames are using LTIR to exceed the cap (insert proper terminology here) so the cap space was desirable to allow flexibility. Whether it's for roster moves or for trades later on.

Two retention spots are permitted. The Flames have six pending UFAs to deal with, and if the bigger names are traded (Lindholm, Hanifin) retention might be needed to move those guys for maximum return. It also opens the possibility of being a broker for cap space - acting as middleman and retaining salary in a three way trade to buy a draft pick or two.

It's equally possible that ownership didn't allow it. They're not keen on salary retention, it's happened like once.
Fair enough. Makes a lot more sense now.

Reactions: stl76

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
I would trade Gudbranson for Zadorov one for one

Canucks you take it ?

While I understand what you are getting at with contracts, no. The Gudbranson well is poisoned in Vancouver. I would be skeptical but accepting of a 4x4 for Zadorov, with the caveat that it is likely an overpayment at this time. But he will get more than that in UFA.

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Well his agent, Dan "We Are Gold Star" Milstein, was so busy hyping up the Leafs a month ago that I'm not sure what his reaction is now.

I'm sure he's working on a deal with Vancouver though, for his client's sake. :laugh:
Considering he has 4 other clients in Vancouver probably the same

I would trade Gudbranson for Zadorov one for one

Canucks you take it ?
Gudbranson was one of the worst defenseman we’ve iced in the last 15 years. Hell nah

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I still can't believe Gudbranson got that contract.

4x4 for Zadorov is still expensive but at least there's an argument he can be a protected #4 haha.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
If he wants to be in Vancouver, why should they overpay him? $4M+ seems excessive.

4m isnt excessive when the cap is going up and its UFA frenzy.

4mil isnt necessarily what Vancouver would pay for him , its what i was saying he would get on the open market as a free agent.

Maybe they go lower on the AAV and higher on term if he really loves being in Vancouver which seems like is a place becoming a hotspot for Russians.

5 years- 3.5 AAV.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
While I understand what you are getting at with contracts, no. The Gudbranson well is poisoned in Vancouver. I would be skeptical but accepting of a 4x4 for Zadorov, with the caveat that it is likely an overpayment at this time. But he will get more than that in UFA.
I don't think 4X4 gets it done. If it's 4 years it's 4.5 or higher. He'll get 5X5 as a UFA. Vancouver has the disadvantage of the Canadian tax system. The card you have to play is he will be a #3 in Vancouver. He's a 4 most places and a 5 in some.

4m isnt excessive when the cap is going up and its UFA frenzy.

4mil isnt necessarily what Vancouver would pay for him , its what i was saying he would get on the open market as a free agent.

Maybe they go lower on the AAV and higher on term if he really loves being in Vancouver which seems like is a place becoming a hotspot for Russians.

5 years- 3.5 AAV.
He wouldn't even look at that contract I don't think. He'd be leaving a lot of money on the table. Guys generally don't do that to play in Canada. Unless it's a special circumstance like going to your home city or something. Like Glencross in Calgary or Giordano in Toronto.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The Canucks pro scouting has been doing a great job since Allvin and Rutherford took over of identifying players who fill a need and then going out and getting them for cheap. No real big deals outside of the Hronek trade but a lot of smaller ones that have worked out well.
Hoping that we see a 4 year deal soon. The team really needs another big physical D with some snarl in his game.

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
I don't think 4X4 gets it done. If it's 4 years it's 4.5 or higher. He'll get 5X5 as a UFA. Vancouver has the disadvantage of the Canadian tax system. The card you have to play is he will be a #3 in Vancouver. He's a 4 most places and a 5 in some.
Yup, fair enough, but with ~8 mil tied up in Hughes and 7 in Hronek, the rest of the D is going to have to cut salary somewhere.

I am not convinced he is in a contenders top 4. And 4m AAV for a 3rd pair d-man is far too much. :/ So... what then?

Reactions: EVDV and Raistlin

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

You can only retain salary on three players. Flames still have to trade Lindholm, Hanifin, and Tanev. Better to retain on two or three of those players than on Zadorov. In the long run you will end up with better overall deals.
Not retaining was smart thinking on Conroy's part. He now has $5.1m in cap space in his pocket to work with on his next trades. Lindholm, Hanifin, and Tanev cap hits total $14.3m. 50% of that is $7.15m. Salary retention to get maximum trade return on all three remaining contracts at the TDL or sooner is very doable.

Reactions: Boomstick

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
The guy is underrated. Yes, he's going to make bone headed plays every now and then -- but he's incredibly imposing and he moves that puck well. He can skate very well for a big man.

Loved him. Vancouver got a good player here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad