Music: Rick Astley Cover AC/DC’s ‘Highway to Hell’

JA

Rick Astley, definitely one of the great ones.
Before he became an internet sensation, his music was a guilty pleasure of the 80s.

I have an early print of his debut release, which is a fun dance pop album with strong, catchy melodies in line with the other work of the production company Stock Aitken Waterman (Dead or Alive, Bananarama, etc).

Rick doesn't have the right voice for "Highway To Hell" in its original arrangement. He doesn't have the grit. It's more of a Fred Turner kind of song, while Rick is closer vocally to a Randy Bachman type if one uses BTO as an example. Rick is a better vocalist than Randy, with all due respect; a better comparison is probably Michael McDonald. Neither McDonald nor Astley have the voices for a song like "Highway To Hell" even though they're both very talented.

This is what happens when Randy sings a Fred song.

It's also an issue of Rick singing an octave lower than the original recording, which makes his voice seem boring.

Last edited by a moderator:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Drums are placed behind a sound barrier to either clean up the miced sound by reducing leakage or resonance from the amps placed nearby or it is to make the drums less overbearing. I will go with the former.

It's either that or to protect him from tomatoes raining in from the audience. I will go with the latter.

JA

It's either that or to protect him from tomatoes raining in from the audience. I will go with the latter.
Fortunately, Rick is performing at a Rick Astley concert where people have seated themselves to see Rick Astley.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Fortunately, Rick is performing at a Rick Astley concert where people have seated themselves to see Rick Astley.

That's fortunate for Rick Astley. It's not so fortunate for the people who paid to see Rick Astley.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
The late Bill Hicks on Rick Astley: '' Rick Astley? Have you seen this banal incubus at work? Boy, if this guy isn’t heralding Satan’s imminent approach to Earth, huh. “Don’t ever wanna make you cry, never wanna make you sigh … never gonna break your heart” … oh, I wouldn’t worry about that without a dick, buddy. You got a corn nut! You got a clit! You’re not even a guy! You’re an AIDS germ that got off a slide! They’re puttin’ music to AIDS germs, they’re puttin’ a drum machine behind them in a metronome beat and Ted Turner’s colorizing ‘em, God damn it!

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Bill hicks is a great one but he got a little full of himself once he hit the big time and his material suffered

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Ummm yeah, not sure what's worse JTS, you posting this crap or me being foolish enough to listen to the start of it :lol:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
CihOcqnUgAATK6N.jpg

Road House 2?

If Astley were to go blind, that could work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad