Rumor: Richards-Tallon Plans to Make Changes

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
Tallon yesterday did not exactly give Dineen a ringing endorsement on a talk radio show yesterday when asked directly about a coaching change. Instead, after a long pause, Tallon said something like about everyone needing to be evaluated including himself. Translation: Dineen is a dead man walking.

Tallon also criticized our most highly compensated players saying that they were not getting it done (i.e. Campbell, Versteeg etc.). He also said that talent bucket was pretty much empty on free agent market when Viola bought team, that trades were hard to make in current market, that other teams were attempting cherry pick trades and that he would take bullets now going with youth and keeping our young talent.

CaptainScrewy

Apr 9, 2003
Hollywood , Florida
Visit site
Put me in the category that thinks we badly need a Dman just as much as offense. I wonder if Versteeg and Trocheck would be enough to pry Roman Josi out of Nashville? Gives them some offense and he seems expandable. I hate giving up on Trocheck but would love our top 4 if we actually played them together, mixing Campbell, Kulikov, Josi and Gudbranson.

LUUUUUIS

Nov 2, 2011
Florida
Tallon yesterday did not exactly give Dineen a ringing endorsement on a talk radio show yesterday when asked directly about a coaching change. Instead, after a long pause, Tallon said something like about everyone needing to be evaluated including himself. Translation: Dineen is a dead man walking.

Tallon also criticized our most highly compensated players saying that they were not getting it done (i.e. Campbell, Versteeg etc.). He also said that talent bucket was pretty much empty on free agent market when Viola bought team, that trades were hard to make in current market, that other teams were attempting cherry pick trades and that he would take bullets now going with youth and keeping our young talent.

What radio show was it? Local? I didn't see anything on WQAM.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Put me in the category that thinks we badly need a Dman just as much as offense. I wonder if Versteeg and Trocheck would be enough to pry Roman Josi out of Nashville? Gives them some offense and he seems expandable. I hate giving up on Trocheck but would love our top 4 if we actually played them together, mixing Campbell, Kulikov, Josi and Gudbranson.

Josi would require an overpayment, and Versteeg doesn't have much value with his contract/play.

However, it would be nice to trade with the Preds, due to the Santos connection, and maybe something can be worked out where we ship out a forward and get a D-man in return.

flomarilius

May 23, 2011
Miami, FL
Josi would require an overpayment, and Versteeg doesn't have much value with his contract/play.

However, it would be nice to trade with the Preds, due to the Santos connection, and maybe something can be worked out where we ship out a forward and get a D-man in return.

So we're going to let go what could possibly be our best forward in the entire organization for a D-man coming off a concussion? No thanks.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
So we're going to let go what could possibly be our best forward in the entire organization for a D-man coming off a concussion? No thanks.

Who? Trocheck?

The concussion is risky, but, he is signed to a reasonable deal, and has played well in Nashville.

While they have depth on defense, I'm sure they won't be willing to give him away for cheap.

Besides, some players respond differently to concussions. I don't know how well he'll play post concussion.

Josi could fit well in here. Still young, and is signed for another 6-7 years. So, it's not like he could bolt as a FA in the next couple years while the team is in this slump

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Actually I think we could work a deal for Niskanen. Send Clemm and a pick as cap relief.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

No way I can see us giving up this guy period. He is the offensive kind of player we covet around here so much. He's going to be on a line with Barkov and/or Huberdeau for years to come.

Versteeg and Goc/Boyes may work better but I would be :rant: if Tallon traded Trocheck.

I agree 100%. Trocheck, Barkov, Bjugstad and Huberdeau are forwards that are untouchables IMO. Howden will be too if he has a decent season in SA this year.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
I agree 100%. Trocheck, Barkov, Bjugstad and Huberdeau are forwards that are untouchables IMO. Howden will be too if he has a decent season in SA this year.
I wouldn't give up on Howden either. His size and speed are extremely rare. Checking in on him in SA his transition has been rough because he's had to reinvent his coming from the CHL. He was very, very soft and spent most if the season on his ass in SA. He's made some great improvements though and has been making big hits while using his speed to break open chances. He's close but needs a bit more time. We trade him and I guarantee we'll regret it.

Doan Jidion*

Hawks fan here who has always coveted Marcel Goc. What would it cost to take what's left of his contract? Mid/late pick and Dale's boy Kyle Beach?

Doan Jidion*

Oh, no one would prefer that it be Kyle Beach (except maybe Kyle Beach). I just figured Tallon might want to give his first-round bust one more whirl.

Not enough people talk about how many terrible draft picks Dale Tallon had, by the way.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I wouldn't give up on Howden either. His size and speed are extremely rare. Checking in on him in SA his transition has been rough because he's had to reinvent his coming from the CHL. He was very, very soft and spent most if the season on his ass in SA. He's made some great improvements though and has been making big hits while using his speed to break open chances. He's close but needs a bit more time. We trade him and I guarantee we'll regret it.

You know more than I do about his time in SA. I hope "RampageNate" could give us a bi-weekly update on him because you're right on the speed and size. I don't think Howden is a guaranteed top 6 guy but he could be a solid 3rd liner who helps on the PP/PK. He may be the fastest guy we have but Matthias is a treat to watch when he starts skating at full speed.

Hawks fan here who has always coveted Marcel Goc. What would it cost to take what's left of his contract? Mid/late pick and Dale's boy Kyle Beach?

I think a 2nd rounder minimum + another mid conditional pick or depth player. Goc is useful in all areas of the game whether it's faceoffs, his hockey IQ, the PK abilities and the offensive side to his game too. He rarely makes many mistakes and at 30, he still has gas in the tank.

I was hoping Tallon would re-sign him but it looks like he's one of biggest trade baits this year. I will miss him alot if he's gone.

CaptainScrewy

Apr 9, 2003
Hollywood , Florida
Visit site
I think we would be lucky to have a guy like Laviolette as coach. I kind of hope management will wait until the off season though to make that move, don't want any new long term coach to walk into this mess mid-season.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
I think we would be lucky to have a guy like Laviolette as coach. I kind of hope management will wait until the off season though to make that move, don't want any new long term coach to walk into this mess mid-season.

Well, we seem to be going nowhere this season, the sooner he can get his playstyle/system ingrained into the players the better.

SeasonTicket

Sep 5, 2006
So we have had 2 games under the new coach and even though we have seen better effort the results are still the same with 2 more loses.

So who gets moved DT.

We know your not going to move Huberdeau, Barkov or Bjudstad. And I don't think you are going to move Thomas or Winchester who was our best off season pickup.

You asked the higher paid players like Upshall, Versteeg, Kopecky or Campbell to pick up their games and they have now you fired Dineen but I still can't see any other team wanting these guys for what they bring verse their cap hits.

No one wanted the players you signed before the season started, Boyes, Gilbert, Gilroy, Whitney and Gomez so why would anyone want them now. Maybe Gomez for depth at center.

I could see interest in Fleishmann and Goc. Two of our better players so far but if we move them would the return be better. It better be.

So who's left.

Weaver? I think there would be a market with what he brings and reasonable cap hit but can we afford to not have him here?

Barch? I don't think there would be any takers.

Clem? Same as Barch.

Bergenheim? Coming of the injury. He has not look himself yet and I doubt there would be any takers at this point. To risky.

Which leaves us with Matthias, Gudbranson and Kulikov. It doesn't look like Matthias is really in the long term plans since he's getting much less icetime under the new coach and Kulikov is just not bringing it.

I doubt they want to move Gudbranson but I think a package of Matthias and either Guddy or Kulikov could bring us a decent return.

I don't think Trading Matthias, Gubbranson or Kulikov sends the message that needs to be sent to this team but I think they are the only assets we have that there would be any interest in other than our prospects.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
So we have had 2 games under the new coach and even though we have seen better effort the results are still the same with 2 more loses.

So who gets moved DT.

We know your not going to move Huberdeau, Barkov or Bjudstad. And I don't think you are going to move Thomas or Winchester who was our best off season pickup.

You asked the higher paid players like Upshall, Versteeg, Kopecky or Campbell to pick up their games and they have now you fired Dineen but I still can't see any other team wanting these guys for what they bring verse their cap hits.

No one wanted the players you signed before the season started, Boyes, Gilbert, Gilroy, Whitney and Gomez so why would anyone want them now. Maybe Gomez for depth at center.

I could see interest in Fleishmann and Goc. Two of our better players so far but if we move them would the return be better. It better be.

So who's left.

Weaver? I think there would be a market with what he brings and reasonable cap hit but can we afford to not have him here?

Barch? I don't think there would be any takers.

Clem? Same as Barch.

Bergenheim? Coming of the injury. He has not look himself yet and I doubt there would be any takers at this point. To risky.

Which leaves us with Matthias, Gudbranson and Kulikov. It doesn't look like Matthias is really in the long term plans since he's getting much less icetime under the new coach and Kulikov is just not bringing it.

I doubt they want to move Gudbranson but I think a package of Matthias and either Guddy or Kulikov could bring us a decent return.

I don't think Trading Matthias, Gubbranson or Kulikov sends the message that needs to be sent to this team but I think they are the only assets we have that there would be any interest in other than our prospects.

This sums up many opinions of mine. Especially the most important fact...we wasted the winter and filled in with last minute journeymen because of cliffs budget restraints.

So do we now make a desperate trade " to send a message"?

I do trust tallon to not do a dumb trade nor a house cleaning move. He's married to a 5 yr blueprint.
Teams in nov prices are higher for talent because everyone still believes. Make trades, even utilizing some of our abundant draft talent, but not in desperation. And finally next off season now with new ownership spend the money for UFA real talent ready to score. That's what I'll need to see to renew.

I'm just not confident anything worthwhile can be done right now .

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad