Richard Panik

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
This guy doesn't get talked about very often, but it seems his stock keeps rising. He's currently in the top 5 scoring for the Under-18 tournament, he's leading a weak Slovakian team, as well was in the top 5 scoring in the Czech Elite Junior League and put up big numbers. All this and he's a 1991 birth, has great size, he looks like a top prospect for the 2009 NHL draft, though the 2009 NHL draft will be one of the deepest ever with so many good prospects coming through the ranks.

Sudbury Wolves of the OHL currently hold the No.1 pick for this years CHL Import draft. My bet is this guy, if he will report to Sudbury, will be the No.1 pick in the CHL Import draft. For being a top 1991 (youngest birth year that can be drafted for this years CHL Import draft), as well as being from Slovakia, he seems to fit the bill to be the top pick. No one else from Slovakia or Czech Republic (two countries that usually dominate the Import draft), for 1991's or 1990's really come close to comparing with Panik. From those two countries Panik would be the clear cut No.1 pick in my opinion.

I personally think it would be a smart move for him to come over and play in the CHL, get use to the North American style of game, which I see him having no problem with considering his skill set and size, but also the move will really let scouts watch him closer and probably elevate his draft status is he succeeds in the CHL, which I think he will in a big way.

I would like to hear more about this player from people who are familiar with him or have seen him play. A scouting report would be nice and as well what are the chances he plays in the CHL next season instead of playing pro in Europe? The CHL would be the way to go for this guy I think, and if he makes the decision that he will go over to the CHL, I see Sudbury stepping up and making this guy the No.1 pick for the Import draft. From researching for this Import draft, to me he looks like the clear No.1 pick if he will come over, similar to last season with Tomas Vincour. Some reply's on this thread would be great to people who know about this player and have seen him play and have a good idea on the type of player Panik is, I'd like to hear people's opinion on him. If you had the top pick in the Import draft would you take Panik? Thank you.

Last edited:

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

I like him alot. I remember I was talking about how every country in the world (big one that is) is puting forth a good prospect except Czechs and Slovakians but hey they did.

Canada- Tavares
Sweden- Hedman
Finland- Rajala
USA- Schroeder
Czech Republic- Vincour
Slovakia- Panik
Russia- Kuchin

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
He came to a little local tournament in riverside (windsor) Ontario - the same one that discovered Antropov. He billited with a buddy of mine - cool kid, his profile is still on my buddy's fifa soccer game lol.
When this kid touched the puck, you knew he was special, he dominated over other kids his age in a way that is hard to explain. I think he will be something special.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
I know that lol but usually they go straight to the chl! Also its kind of weird to see a top svk prospects going to play in the czech republic! (not lot of love between slovak and czech)

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
Yea. Why did Kane go to Canada when he's American? Just better competition.
AFAIK, it was because he didn't have the academic prerequisites to play in the NCAA during the 06/07 season, he would have had to play in the USHL or USDP as an overager if he wanted to play NCAA in 07/08, so he decided to go the major junior route, I think he made the right decision....

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

I know that lol but usually they go straight to the chl! Also its kind of weird to see a top svk prospects going to play in the czech republic! (not lot of love between slovak and czech)

Closer to home I'd presume. Imagine being 16 and being dropped half way around the world and put under the spotlite. I felt really bad for Voracek when that happened with him. THN said he could barely speak English when he got here (only like Hello and Goodbye).

matys

Jul 30, 2002
Visit site

It is nothing strange to see young Slovaks play in Czech junior league because of higher level of play. And there is not problem between Slovaks and Czechs. There is a lot of Czechs playing in Slovakia and Slovaks playing in Czech republic and they do not have any problem due to his nationality. You have a distorted view on our relationship.

bigv

Aug 13, 2006
Czech republic
To im darmo budes vysvetlovat ze ake mame vztahy s Cechmi.....
Ved oni ani nevedia na mape ze kde je Slovensko .....
Mna sa dva roky v Kanade vypytovali ze ci uz je situacia na balkane stabilna ze ci uz sme ukoncili vojnu zo Srbmi ....takze si vies urobit aj sam obraz aky su to hlupaci :D:D

jeff88_5

May 24, 2007
To im darmo budes vysvetlovat ze ake mame vztahy s Cechmi.....
Ved oni ani nevedia na mape ze kde je Slovensko .....
Mna sa dva roky v Kanade vypytovali ze ci uz je situacia na balkane stabilna ze ci uz sme ukoncili vojnu zo Srbmi ....takze si vies urobit aj sam obraz aky su to hlupaci :D:D

X 10000000 ! ! ! !

:sarcasm::laugh:

Last edited:

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
I've been waiting for this thread. I figured it was just a matter of time, Panik deserves his own thread. A top pick in 2009

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
Can someone who has seen him play a few times give us a scouting report on him? Thanks.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
He has already played some games in the chech elite league... not bad for a 16 year old.. does anyone know his stats from the junior league this season?

captain AARON MAIDEN*

He has already played some games in the chech elite league... not bad for a 16 year old.. does anyone know his stats from the junior league this season?

39GP 35G 27A 62P 36+/- 70PIM

play off: 8GP 8G 4A 12P 6+/- 52PIM:amazed:

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Damn, this '09 draft keeps looking better and better. It almost seems too good to be true. An 8th seed that gets knocked out in the 1st round could concievably end up with a star prospect. When has that ever happened before?(at least, a kid considered a star prospect BEFORE the draft, obviously there have been prospects taken in the late 1st and beyond that have turned into star prospects/players)

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
Man, I remember a year or 2 ago, people used to say some were jumping the gun, talking about this '09 draft (me being one of the ones they said was jumping the gun, if I don't say so myself), but at this point, it looks like this draft is just getting stronger... it seems like it's only now picking up steam. If all keeps pace right now, until next season, and these kids (I stress kids) potentially end up what they could, this draft could conceivably be one of the better ones ever.
Exciting to think about.

I contemplate what GM's will be trying to wheel, at this point next year. I think it's gonna be a frenzy.

daethfromabove1979

Jun 20, 2006
Man, I remember a year or 2 ago, people used to say some were jumping the gun, talking about this '09 draft (me being one of the ones they said was jumping the gun, if I don't say so myself), but at this point, it looks like this draft is just getting stronger... it seems like it's only now picking up steam. If all keeps pace right now, until next season, and these kids (I stress kids) potentially end up what they could, this draft could conceivably be one of the better ones ever.
Exciting to think about.

I contemplate what GM's will be trying to wheel, at this point next year. I think it's gonna be a frenzy.

does anyone know if any 2009 first round picks have been traded yet?

because i really don't see much movement there in such a ridiculous draft

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad