Movies: Richard Jewell

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
ESPN did a 30 for 30 short on Jewell a couple years ago. I felt bad in that I had forgotten that he was exonerated.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm interested because it's Clint Eastwood directing. Surely, he could've picked a better title, though. I think that the vast majority of people will not recognize the name and it could hurt the box office.

ESPN did a 30 for 30 short on Jewell a couple years ago. I felt bad in that I had forgotten that he was exonerated.

Welp, there goes my interest. You just spoiled it.

:sarcasm:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'm interested because it's Clint Eastwood directing. Surely, he could've picked a better title, though. I think that the vast majority of people will not recognize the name and it could hurt the box office.

Richard Jewell: How FBI and Fake News ****ed him

Guaranteed to get everyone to know about the movie with that title lol.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Oops, should have put in a spoiler tag!

This thread prompted me with an odd but favorite childhood memory of mine. I'm Vietnamese by descent, but I was born in California and more or less have zero connection with Vietnam. I stopped speaking/understanding the language at an early age, and I'm pretty sure my dad is quietly disappointed about that. My family had gone to Vietnam in 1995 and to make a long story short, it was a rough trip for various reasons.

The 1996 Olympics come around and my dad is annoyed with my lack of Vietnamese pride. So he makes me watch the opening ceremonies to see the Vietnamese athletes introduced. Naturally I'm upset as a bratty kid who'd rather just play video games on a perfectly good summer night. And since the countries are introduced alphabetically, I have to sit through almost the entire thing.

Then comically, NBC goes to commercial after Ukraine (~6 minute mark of the video). My dad is freaking out about whether they're going to come back in time. NBC comes back and it's now the Virgin Islands (they had skipped United Arab Emirites, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Venezuela, and Vietnam). The look of silent rage on my dad's face was priceless.

Unfortunately I just thought of a good zinger 23 years too late. "Hey Dad, don't worry, it's only two years until the Winter Olympics." [/coolstorybro]

Last edited:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
A movie about a shlubby white guy where the media and government are the bad guys?

I look forward to The Discourse around this one. :popcorn:

Anyway I am genuinely looking forward to this. The 30 for 30 on the topic was great, and I vividly remember these events; at least as vividly as an 11 year old who loves the Olympics and summer break can remember.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Highly doubt that had much of an impact on the box office.

If anything, it probably gave the film some needed publicity. I read an article that pointed out that Clint Eastwood-directed films tend to not open big. His audience is mostly older folks who deliberately avoid opening week crowds, learn more slowly about his films being out and go after hearing good word of mouth. Regarding the latter, 96% verified audience score at RT is awfully good.

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
If anything, it probably gave the film some needed publicity. I read an article that pointed out that Clint Eastwood-directed films tend to not open big. His audience is mostly older folks who deliberately avoid opening week crowds, learn more slowly about his films being out and go after hearing good word of mouth. Regarding the latter, 96% verified audience score at RT is awfully good.

It's a great movie.

As I posted in the movie thread, I do have an issue with how they handled a certain thing regarding the reporter... but I don't think it impacted the overall quality of the movie. Undercuts a bit of the message of the movie, but I still really enjoyed it. Really well acted all around, IMO.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Move to appeal to Americans only. As a Canadian, I didn't even know who this was. Zero interest in seeing this.

Have read there is some backlash about people in the states going because it is an Eastwood film and people aren't liking his politics.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Move to appeal to Americans only. As a Canadian, I didn't even know who this was. Zero interest in seeing this.
..people aren't liking his politics.

Jewell was victimized by a myopic & prejudicial rush to judgment. I think the Jewell tragedy resonates with a variety of fair-minded people. But, fair enough, no movie is for everybody..

Admitting you don't know who Jewell was.. don't care what happened to him.. and you're accepting/parroting the narrative of the movie's partisan critics (sight unseen).. Just confirms that myopic world views are still alive & well.

Reactions: Roman Fell

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yeah, it's a story of the police/FBI/man getting it wrong and abusing their power, and the media adding fuel to that fire. That should appeal to anyone, especially in today's climate.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

I can see how the premise wouldn't be appealing to non-Americans, but I think that a good movie ought to be appealing when you watch it even if you can't relate all that much. Take sports movies, for example. You don't have to like the sport or, sometimes, even sports in general, to like many of those. Foreign films are also often good, even though they clearly aren't meant to appeal to North Americans.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
It looked interesting but this is type of movie that will do better on home media IMO

Would have been perfect for a Netflix IMO

As for the controversial reporter part and portrayal ,, I dont think it means much and certainly didn't impact reviews (Which have been pretty good from what I have seen)

Biased portrayals of characters in bio-pic's is not new thing. Remember the controversy about crewmen in Titanic especially the shooting scene

Despite those issues it never has impacted film or views on film

Last edited:

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
It looked interesting but this is type of movie that will do better on home media IMO

Would have been perfect for a Netflix IMO

As for the controversial reporter part and portrayal ,, I dont think it means and certainly didn't impact reviews (Which have been pretty good from what I have seen)

Biased portrayals of characters in bio-pic's is not new thing. Remember the controversy about crewmen in Titanic especially the shooting scene

Despite those issues it never has impacted film or views on film

Yeah I don't think it impacted the reviews, and it really didn't impact my view on the movie.

But, I wouldn't just dismiss it as something that is "not new." Especially in this case. The biggest issue with it is that this movie is, in simple terms, all about not accusing people of things without proof. And well, they accuse a reporter of something without proof. Kind of goes against the very core message of the movie.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015

Have read there is some backlash about people in the states going because it is an Eastwood film and people aren't liking his politics.
Funny because it is extremely relevant to todays climate of pointing fingers and judging people before any actual evidence is presented by both the public and the media itself. This guy saved peoples lives and had his life ruined for a good amount of time because of it.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
The general public was probably disappointed Richard Jewell wasn't a Marvel comic book hero with superpowers and passed on going.

My Best-Carey

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
So how was the guy who played Jewell in this?

The actor looked the part and from trailers seemed to hit an accurate portrayal of Jewell from what I recall he was like during testimony and interviews in years before his death

The investigators and media did such a hit job on Jewell that some people still believe he was involved which is further reason its great that someone finally brought his story to film and more attention to hell he was put thru

He was hero but the initial reporting and hit pieces about him via media destroyed his reputation and even in death his family still has had to fight the falsehoods and misinformation

Did the film bring up the actions of Piedmont College? The active leaks of his work record and what I would argue was nonsense grandstanding for media from several of its leaders really painted an absolutely awful and ultimately false picture of him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad