Value of: RHD Justin Barron

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Also the Avs management knew full well that Barron would disappoint which is why they drafted him in the 1st round less than 2 years before the trade.

That’s nothing. The Avs cut their losses with with Connor Bleackley. As soon as he stepped off that exercise bike, he had to report to Joe’s office.

Last edited:

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
What’s that line from Rounders?

Yeah I'm not surprised you're the kinda guy that'd quote that movie. People that love Rounders and Swingers are a type.

A trade for someone like Kaliyev might be the answer....give or take.

It would cost more and I never cared for Kaliyev.

Goof is leaving out the context of what I said which was
"Barron needs a spot on an NHL team to just be the OFD part of a 3rd pairing. If he can't develop his defensive acumen soon, he'll just be another fringe tweener. He'll probably clear waivers every year for a while to the "surprise" of many in the waiver thread."

Check what you said in Italics. Not if he doesn't improve his defensive play. You just predicted that he would clear waivers, repeatedly. Criminy by re-posting it you've now stated it twice. YOU, AslanRH have stated that Justin Barron would, not only be waived, but clear. On multiple occasions.

Just plain goofy.

• Haha
Reactions: Grinner

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Check what you said in Italics. Not if he doesn't improve his defensive play. You just predicted that he would clear waivers, repeatedly. Criminy by re-posting it you've now stated it twice. YOU, AslanRH have stated that Justin Barron would, not only be waived, but clear. On multiple occasions.

Just plain goofy.
I believe that to be true if he doesn't improve his defensive acumen soon. I don't think he'll bring enough offensively or otherwise to be a must have on a NHL roster.
I think he may get claimed by a needy team over the next season while there is still some shine of "potential", but without improvement that shine will dissipate rather soon.
The AHL is littered with guys who have shown signs of talent but not put together enough of a package to stick on a roster.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I believe that to be true if he doesn't improve his defensive acumen soon. I don't think he'll bring enough offensively or otherwise to be a must have on a NHL roster.
I think he may get claimed by a needy team over the next season while there is still some shine of "potential", but without improvement that shine will dissipate rather soon.
The AHL is littered with guys who have shown signs of talent but not put together enough of a package to stick on a roster.
IF he gets waived next season, someone will easily pick him up. Young cheap RHD who is a great skater that any other team might think they could turn into a productive dman for free? Of course he would be plucked off waivers.

It's a no-brainer. Avs fans are dreaming if they think they can get him off waivers. There is no chance.

Reactions: HabzSauce

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
IF he gets waived next season, someone will easily pick him up. Young cheap RHD who is a great skater that any other team might think they could turn into a productive dman for free? Of course he would be plucked off waivers.

It's a no-brainer. Avs fans are dreaming if they think they can get him off waivers. There is no chance.
Agree, and I didn't ever exclude that and even mentioned that in the post you quoted. I just think the shine of potential wears off quickly if he doesn't improve his defensive game, especially if he goes to a team where he has more opportunity to play and less competition coming behind him.
Are Avs fans really hoping to grab him beyond the boring take of "winning the trade" further at the expense of Habs fans?

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal

Hughes has shown he hates losing young assets to waivers.
*see primeau.
He is definitely, 100%, not going to put Barron, a kid he traded for, on waivers.
Most likely traded

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Hughes has shown he hates losing young assets to waivers.
*see primeau.
He is definitely, 100%, not going to put Barron, a kid he traded for, on waivers.
Most likely traded
I agree. He has another year to develop and Habs will be patient. The only thing that may impact Barron’s icetime is competition with Mailloux and Reinbacher.

Reactions: HuGo Sham

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I think the guy can play NHL?
Definitely not meeting the projections yet.

I think the worse thing for Barron is that he doesn't seem to have that one skill a coach can use. Xhekaj intimidates, Newhook skates like the wind, Armia has strong puck protection skills, Savard blocks shots, etc. He isn't doing much that is noticeable, and he certainly doesnt have any tools that compete with what Matheson brings.

It really is too bad, because Mtl currenly has Savard and Kovacevic on the RD right now, with 2-3 others LD taking on RD. Habs management is just waiting for the D core to grow up and for someone to step up and give them a reason to trade those two. This would be the perfect time for him, but the habs went with someone else (Struble?) who can give them something that stands out.

With Mailloux and Reinbacher pushing, and Hutson possibly better at an O role, I question Barron's future with the habs. Hopefully Laval has series and he does good for himself. He is young and i think he will probably have a career in the NHL, but he is looking more like a Mark Streit type than a Markov right now.

I dont think he has much value right now, so i keep him in laval to see if he can boost it.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I dont think he has much value right now, so i keep him in laval to see if he can boost it.
He's there until the end of the AHL and NHL playoffs, for sure. But after that, waiver eligibility means he can't be sent back down without any risk... so Montreal's options are to keep him in the NHL, probably after having to move someone otherwise they'll have 8 NHL defensemen, or trading him, or risking him on waivers.

If there isn't much interest in trading for him, sending him down at the end of training camp might work, since that's the time of year when every team has kids and projects they want to give ice time to.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Hughes gets more grace than any other Habs GM in history. We're seriously getting people saying that "even if Barron busts, it was a good trade at the time, because we didn't know he would bust".

What GM is ever afforded that much leniency when making a trade? Their job is to determine what players will be good, and if the player is not good, it's probably not a good trade!

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Same as Romanov value
Not the same player as Romanov.

When traded, Romanov was a year younger than Barron and had played about 50 more NHL games. His last year in MTL he led the MTL D in minutes played.

Other than being defensemen that played for MTL there is absolutely nothing to suggest that these 2 players are accurate comps. Besides age when dealt, number of games in NHL, and usage in those games, they are 2 completely different style of defensemen with different strengths and weaknesses.

It would be like saying that since MTL once traded a 1st for former 1st rd pick Kirby Dach, that they would then trade a 1st for former 1st rd pick Jacob Perreault.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Not the same player as Romanov.

When traded, Romanov was a year younger than Barron and had played about 50 more NHL games. His last year in MTL he led the MTL D in minutes played.

Other than being defensemen that played for MTL there is absolutely nothing to suggest that these 2 players are accurate comps. Besides age when dealt, number of games in NHL, and usage in those games, they are 2 completely different style of defensemen with different strengths and weaknesses.

It would be like saying that since MTL once traded a 1st for former 1st rd pick Kirby Dach, that they would then trade a 1st for former 1st rd pick Jacob Perreault.
He never had Barron upside though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad