Value of: RHD Justin Barron

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
who were his line teammates? Lehky is a reliable complementary piece. But teams won’t give more than a late first for that kind of guy. I answered to the reaction that montreal been fleeced by Colorado. No way, lol. I liked Lehky back in the days, but Barron had good potential and still have
Lehky was worth a 1st + 2nd when he was only a 30-40 pt player, and you think he's worth less now? Interesting take. The trade made sense for both teams at the time, it turned out to work out better for the Avs.

In terms of linemates it's a mix of the Avs top 6, so obviously he benefits from that. But you still need to be skilled enough and have high hockey IQ to play with elite talent. Nobody expects him to drive a line and yes he's a complimentary piece, but there aren't many players like Lehky. If the Avs made him available, teams would be offering more than a late 1st.

Show me how many 60 pt 2-way forwards in their prime that are signed for 3 more years @ $4.5 mil. That's also ignoring his 20 pts in 27 games in the postseason since having an elevated role. He's the type of piece contenders, bubbles teams, and rebuilding teams all covet.

Reactions: HabzSauce and OTB

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Uh montreal was using lehkonen for only 15 mins a night and he goes to a much stronger team and gets 19-20 mins. His coaches in montreal were morons gifting minutes to underdeserving scrubs.
It wasn't about the number of minutes. Lehky is the same player he was the Habs. The only difference is he's on a better team with better quality linemates. Put him back on the Habs and he's producing 40 points. But he's providing high-quality two-way play.

It was Habs fans that were singing his virtues at TDL. Not Avs fans nor anyone else. I remember when Avs fans were proposing a mere 2nd round pick or worse for Lehky. Totally clueless.

Reactions: WeeBey

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
It wasn't about the number of minutes. Lehky is the same player he was the Habs. The only difference is he's on a better team with better quality linemates. Put him back on the Habs and he's producing 40 points. But he's providing high-quality two-way play.
Which is exactly why he was mismanaged/poorly utilized. Avs capitalizes on these type of trades. Most players going to a new team and instantly produce more because they aren't properly utilized. We see the same thing from Burakovsky and Devon Toews. Even Nazem Kadri.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Which is exactly why he was mismanaged/poorly utilized. Avs capitalizes on these type of trades. Most players going to a new team and instantly produce more because they aren't properly utilized. We see the same thing from Burakovsky and Devon Toews. Even Nazem Kadri.
He wasn't poorly utilized, he didn't have quality linemates. Big difference. Put Lehky on the Habs 2nd line this season and he gets 40 points. Not having the horses doesn't mean the player was under-utilized.

Lehky played with every combination of 1st/2nd/3rd line players when he was a Hab. A Swiss army knife.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
He wasn't poorly utilized, he didn't have quality linemates. Big difference. Put Lehky on the Habs 2nd line this season and he gets 40 points. Not having the horses doesn't mean the player was under-utilized.

Lehky played with every combination of 1st/2nd/3rd line players when he was a Hab. A Swiss army knife.
And he shouldn't be playing with every combination of half decent players to full on scrubs. He should stick with only the best players.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
And he shouldn't be playing with every combination of half decent players to full on scrubs. He should stick with only the best players.
LOL

He didn't fit with Suzuki/Caufield. Habs didn't have a quality 2C in the year he was traded. Not anyone's fault. But Lehky was a great player on the Habs and it showed on the ice.

Your argument is laughable. Just play him with great players dammit (even if you don't have that).

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013

It was Habs fans that were singing his virtues at TDL. Not Avs fans nor anyone else. I remember when Avs fans were proposing a mere 2nd round pick or worse for Lehky. Totally clueless.
I wouldnt give winnipeg first pick for lehkonen. Came back here annd make 4,5 millions and put 35 points. No needs of that here

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I wouldnt give winnipeg first pick for lehkonen. Came back here annd make 4,5 millions and put 35 points. No needs of that here
GMs who have good scouts know the value of Lehky. The Avs gave up the right value for him at that TDL. Lehky is a very good player.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
He didn't fit with Suzuki/Caufield. Habs didn't have a quality 2C in the year he was traded. Not anyone's fault. But Lehky was a great player on the Habs and it showed on the ice.

Your argument is laughable. Just play him with great players dammit (even if you don't have that).

Suzuki and Caufield are obviously never gonna be in the same tier as Mackinnon/Rantanen but they could have still made it work. Giving him 15 mins and moving him up and down the line-up obviously diminished his offensive output and the time it takes to create chemistry.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Suzuki and Caufield are obviously never gonna be in the same tier as Mackinnon/Rantanen but they could have still made it work. Giving him 15 mins and moving him up and down the line-up obviously diminished his offensive output and the time it takes to create chemistry.
They tried Lehky with Suzuki and Caufield and it didn't work. Period. What makes you think they didn't try that?

Sticking him with Dvorak wasn't going to get him the offensive output. Obviously not having the right linemates impacted his offense. But he was always playdriving on the 2nd/3rd lines and really good defensively.

You need to stay in your lane as you have no clue about Lehky on the Habs. You had zero clue at TDL on what you were getting. Habs fans predicted a 1st+ or 2 x 2nds and nailed it.

Reactions: viceroy

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
A lot of Avs fans valued Lehkonen from the start. He represented something similar to Nichushkin, who was a victory for the Avs analytics people.

One thing that Habs fans repeatedly complained about was how he flubbed scoring chances. That hasn’t really been an issue for him in Colorado.

Reactions: Spirits

OTB

Dec 18, 2013
With Montreal Lehky was missing open nets quite often. But beside quality of teamates Colorado and Montreal have completly a diffrent style of gameplay and do alot into players performances. Lehky is a north/south player and that match well the avs with a high tempo game. Montreal have a slow pace style and that doesnt fit well all kind of player. The Habs play style fit pretty well Suzuki and Caufield and thats why the coaching staff goes in that direction.

Lehkonen is an awesome player and he was one of my favorite habs because of all the little things he's doing that most of the people doesnt even see and understand. That being said, I would not take him back in Montreal because our play style will not fit him well and I prefer him to have success in a role that he must be enjoying right now.

Reactions: HabzSauce

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
They tried Lehky with Suzuki and Caufield and it didn't work. Period. What makes you think they didn't try that?

Sticking him with Dvorak wasn't going to get him the offensive output. Obviously not having the right linemates impacted his offense. But he was always playdriving on the 2nd/3rd lines and really good defensively.

You need to stay in your lane as you have no clue about Lehky on the Habs. You had zero clue at TDL on what you were getting. Habs fans predicted a 1st+ or 2 x 2nds and nailed it.
😂.

I can see caufield's lack of size and suzuki's average speed being an issue but they have good hockey sense to make it work. Lehkonen was also missused for multiple season by a muliple incompetent coaches. Always getting defensive heavy zone deployment and almost no pp time despite consistent 5v5 production. Just utter lack of judgement by the Habs organization that should have just traded him away earlier.

Last edited:

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Uh montreal was using lehkonen for only 15 mins a night and he goes to a much stronger team and gets 19-20 mins. His coaches in montreal were morons gifting minutes to underdeserving scrubs.
Because we had no talent man. He was awesome in a checking role when he was with us.

MTL coaches loved lehkonen by the way. He fits like a glove in Colorado but doesn't mean Habs misused him.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Who would have thought Lehkonen playing 310 minutes last year with Rantanen and MacKinnon, the most out of any line combination, would have helped his production ? Who ???

Somebody please get the advanced stats experts on this one, he almost produced half what the other two did !

Because we had no talent man. He was awesome in a checking role when he was with us.

MTL coaches loved lehkonen by the way. He fits like a glove in Colorado but doesn't mean Habs misused him.

Yep, Lehkonen was always a great player. Every player on the Canadiens has their detractors, it's part of being a too vocal fanbase, but by and large posters appreciated the player he is, hence why the predicted price for him was always high.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Love my boi Lekhy but why are we talking about him?

Let's go back on the topic

Which team needs a RHD prospect, and is ready to Trade a forward prospect in Return?
Habs fan add Picks for a better prospect if needed

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
Not a prospect, but could Veleno be a target? He's Kent Hughes' former client and we know he loves them.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Who would have thought Lehkonen playing 310 minutes last year with Rantanen and MacKinnon, the most out of any line combination, would have helped his production ? Who ???

Somebody please get the advanced stats experts on this one, he almost produced half what the other two did !

Yep, Lehkonen was always a great player. Every player on the Canadiens has their detractors, it's part of being a too vocal fanbase, but by and large posters appreciated the player he is, hence why the predicted price for him was always high.
I would have asked for more than just barron and a late 2nd round pick for a cost controlled two-way, 60-70 point reg season, playoff proven, special teams stud.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I would have asked for more than just barron and a late 2nd round pick for a cost controlled two-way, 60-70 point reg season, playoff proven, special teams stud.

Are you in fantasy land again ? The one where Lehkonen scored 60-70 points and wasn't in his last year of RFA eligibility ?

Reactions: The Great Weal

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
But Montreal was trading a guy who'd maxed out at 31 points, and while a solid playoff performer, also had long stretches where he couldn't have scored in a woman's prison even with a fistful of pardons. I mean, wasn't it 2 goals in 25 games at one point ? I mean, we all loved the player and are happy to see him do well, but he had his warts, too.

Love my boi Lekhy but why are we talking about him?

Let's go back on the topic

Which team needs a RHD prospect, and is ready to Trade a forward prospect in Return?
Habs fan add Picks for a better prospect if needed
I'm thinking Barron ends up being a throw-in with Winnipeg's 1st to get a forward coming off an ELC and where the team isn't ready to commit to a guy who hasn't been filling expectations (while still being an NHLer). RD being a tough position to fill, there are good odds a team is willing to give Barron a shot while trading away a forward.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
The value of Barron has nothing to do with the performance of Lehkonen.

Barron needs a spot on an NHL team to just be the OFD part of a 3rd pairing. If he can't develop his defensive acumen soon, he'll just be another fringe tweener. He'll probably clear waivers every year for a while to the "surprise" of many in the waiver thread.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I feel like he's going to have a Cody Ceci-esque career. Comes into the league expected to be an offensive D but just doesn't really have it at the NHL level and settles into more of a 3rd pair defensive guy

I think he does have the offensive skills, the issue is the low IQ in his own end, just makes terrible decisions at times or others a total lack of surroundings as to who and where he can be beat. So the question for me is can his offense make up for his defense?

I personally hate how the Habs have developed him, I just don't understand why they can't leave some of these kids alone and let them cook in the AHL until they show you they can fix their issues before calling them up and hoping they fix them in the toughest league in the world.

Reactions: Guess

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad