Speculation: RHD College Free Agents

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Past few years there have been a few decent college players who become regular NHLers. Will Butcher being the most well known D. Anybody know of some decent RHD in the college ranks worth looking at?

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Joseph Duszak? 21 yo, 5'10 RHD second in NCAA scoring? Better numbers than Butcher and Makar and doesn't seem to have his numbers propped up by his teammates. This btw was the most basic of analysis - no idea if he skates well, if he thinks the game adequately, his college plans, etc... I would wonder where he would slot in this organization.

Reactions: Duke16

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario
45 points in 35 games is quite impressive. He might be worth a gamble for sure. Can't throw too much money at him because we have some serious resigning to do.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Joseph Duszak? 21 yo, 5'10 RHD second in NCAA scoring? Better numbers than Butcher and Makar and doesn't seem to have his numbers propped up by his teammates. This btw was the most basic of analysis - no idea if he skates well, if he thinks the game adequately, his college plans, etc... I would wonder where he would slot in this organization.

Can't teach size....

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

From Long Island, a certain team might cry foul if we signed him.

Reactions: Monsieur Gustave H

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Can't teach size....
- beggers can't be choosers
- only 1" smaller than Makar but outscoring him with lesser supporting cast, same size as Fox with lesser production
- plenty of smaller defenders in the NHL

the only issues I have with him are
- why was he not drafted the last two years?
- attitude issues? Skating? Processing speed?
- how will Babcock find ways to not play him?
- is he willing to go to the AHL?

why he's a great add:
- 41 points NHLe would make him an instant replacement to Gardiner's production...and put him near the top of the NHL points spread range
-
From Long Island, a certain team might cry foul if we signed him.

Reactions: Menzinger

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Have a friend who have seen him a bit. Here's the short of what he said:

Small. Need to bulk up. Very smart. Works hard on and off the ice. Great passer. I asked him for a projection and he said Carrick. Might not sound so enticing but let's remember that Carrick was a pretty good prospect before he plateaued.

I'd be surprised if he's not signed by someone. I'd also be surprised if we don't at least show some interest. But I have no idea if he's worth it, as I've never seen him play myself.

teddygmr

Jul 7, 2006
the best one would be Chase Priskie IF he decides not to sign with WA Capitals. In that case he would be a ufa Aug. 16. Say he looks at the Capitals depth chart at right shooting dmen and sees John Carlsson, Matt Niskanen and Nick Jensen all signed for 2-5 more seasons. Then he looks at the Leafs and sees Zaitsev, Ozighanov, 20 year old Liljegren and 19 year old Sandin!
Where would he get a better opportunity to play in the NHL asap?

Chase Priskie at eliteprospects.com

Last edited:

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
the best one would be Chase Priskie IF he decides not to sign with WA Capitals. In that case he would be a ufa Aug. 16. Say he looks at the Capitals depth chart at right shooting dmen and sees John Carlsson, Matt Niskanen and Nick Jensen all signed for 2-5 more seasons. Then he looks at the Leafs and sees Zaitsev, Ozighanov, 20 year old Liljegren and 19 year old Sandin!
Where would he get a better opportunity to play in the NHL asap?

Chase Priskie at eliteprospects.com
WSH will trade Niskanen in the summer and create a spot for him. At least I wish..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad