Salary Cap: RFA's: What will they sign for?

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
This is probably the best prediction to me, except that I can't see Sheahan and Marchenko taking a 3 year deal at those rates. They'll want to leave the door open for big improvement after year 2.

Not sure why anyone would think Marchy has leverage to ask for more than $1.5M at most or Sheahan more than about $2.25M short term.

I based Sheahan's off of Abdelkaders last contract and Marchenko's off Kindl's.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Marchenko 2-3 years @ 1.5-2 million per.
Sheahan 2.5 per 2-3 years
Pulks will be 1-2 years at like a million per.

DDK 8 yrs 6 per.
Mrazek 2 yrs 4.5 per.

Thats my guess.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
When I read the title of this thread, my mind sang it in the melody of"

"War, uh,,, good god, what is it good for...."

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Lock up Mrazek and Dekeyser asap to reasonable deals. Let the other ones percolate, wait out free agency and whatnot. Bridge them up later in the summer when you know more.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I hope Dekeyser doesn't get north of 5 million and any longer than 5 years. Everyone seems to think he is so good, but I just don't see all the hype. He seems like a current 4-6 to me, with potential to move into 2-3.

He skates well and has long reach, but he doesn't play very physical at all, and brings zero offence from what I see. To me, he is slightly better than Ericsson. He also seems prone to sometimes making very odd passes by the Wings net, like inches away from the goalie.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Are you sure bonuses affect next years cap?

According to capfriendly.com they get paid out in the season they were achieved, but teams are allowed to exceed the salary cap (to the 7.5% limit) in order to pay them.

If that's the case then Larkin's bonuses wouldn't affect next years cap at all nor would Richards if he gets them.

When team is fully against the cap, any bonuses will slide to next year. LTIR extra space doesn't "eat" any bonuses, which is our case.

There should be real cap room to keep those bonuses on same year they are achieved. 99% sure about this. :)

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I hope Dekeyser doesn't get north of 5 million and any longer than 5 years. Everyone seems to think he is so good, but I just don't see all the hype. He seems like a current 4-6 to me, with potential to move into 2-3.

He skates well and has long reach, but he doesn't play very physical at all, and brings zero offence from what I see. To me, he is slightly better than Ericsson. He also seems prone to sometimes making very odd passes by the Wings net, like inches away from the goalie.

Most of the guys like him are signing for a shade under 4.25 on pretty lengthy term. I see no reason we should go above that.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He is not gonna go for less than 5.5 per in his UFA years. Which start in 2 years I believe.

He should, he doesn't have enough offense. Explain why Hjalmarsson signed away those years or Vlasic.... Those guys lap DK in terms of talent. Sorry, it would be a mistake if this goes anywhere beyond 4.5. I hope it is just north of 4 million.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I think DeKeyser will take a bit of a hometown discount. I think his agent will make it very clear how much guys like DeKeyser would make on the open market, though.... which is more than the spare change I have in my couch.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
He should, he doesn't have enough offense. Explain why Hjalmarsson signed away those years or Vlasic.... Those guys lap DK in terms of talent. Sorry, it would be a mistake if this goes anywhere beyond 4.5. I hope it is just north of 4 million.

Second pairing d like orpik where pulling down 5.5. DDK is better than him. He is also about to pull down a 30 point season with next to no pp time. Not that he will ever peak more than a year or two of 40-45. The going rate for UFA years now is 5.5 he would be stupid not too. And even if DDK was signed at 5-6 a season it is good money that is being invested. He could become a team friendly Keith like cap friendly deal.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
He is not gonna go for less than 5.5 per in his UFA years. Which start in 2 years I believe.

Yeah he will. He's not even a consistent 30 point guy. He's a bigger but less dynamic Spurgeon. I can't see him getting more than $4.5M. Only the most rugged, flesh-eating captaincy types (think Girardi) make more. D2 isn't that. Offense is where defenseman make the big bucks.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Second pairing d like orpik where pulling down 5.5. DDK is better than him. He is also about to pull down a 30 point season with next to no pp time. Not that he will ever peak more than a year or two of 40-45. The going rate for UFA years now is 5.5 he would be stupid not too. And even if DDK was signed at 5-6 a season it is good money that is being invested. He could become a team friendly Keith like cap friendly deal.

LOL you just used the most inflated, outlandish contract as a barometer. That's not accurate at all. Orpik got that deal for many factors that DD can't claim and he's one of the few to get that. That's like saying guys like Abby get Clarkson's deal.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
LOL you just used the most inflated, outlandish contract as a barometer. That's not accurate at all. Orpik got that deal for many factors that DD can't claim and he's one of the few to get that. That's like saying guys like Abby get Clarkson's deal.

The going rate whether you like it or not is 5.5 per year as off this past offseasons UFA deals (ranging from 5.25-75). Every year for like the past 3-4 years the rate for top 4 d goes up around .5 per year.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
I would suspect that when they go to the negotiation table, both sides are going to benchmark Danny around Maatta's contract with the Penguins. Given that Danny is older (4 years) than Maatta, and at a different point in his career, I suspect he will get a bit more than Maatta's 6 year $24.4M.

I think a reasonable rate based upon the most current market comparable will be somewhere along the lines of 5 years 22.5 ($4.5M AAV). That would leave Danny at 31, more than enough time to sign one more big contract before it's all said and done.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
DDK - go 3 to 3.5 mil for 2 or 3 years.
Mrazek - i'm still conflicted there. Go 3 or 4 mil for a short term deal.
Sheahan - 1 to 1.5 mil for 2 years
March - 2 mil short term deal
Pulks - 0.95 for a year or two.

No long term deals for anyone except Mrazek and Larkin once it's time.
Let Miller walk, especially if unhealthy.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
The going rate whether you like it or not is 5.5 per year as off this past offseasons UFA deals (ranging from 5.25-75). Every year for like the past 3-4 years the rate for top 4 d goes up around .5 per year.

No it doesn't. It varies. And your ridiculous comment makes a blanket statement about defenseman as if defensive defenseman get the same money as offensive defenseman.

Also, why do I give a **** about UFA defenseman? Signing a deal that eats up UFA years is not the same as signing a deal as a UFA before July 1st with your team or signing a deal as a UFA during free agency.

- Beauchemin got 3.5
- Martin got 4.85
- Sekera was the biggest name and got 5.5, mostly due to his 40+ point season the previous year (his value at the deadline is a testament to what most thought he was capable of)
- Green got $6M. Why? Offense.
- Oduya got $3.75

These were the biggest UFA D names last year. The only ones who got $5+ have 40+ point seasons on their resume.

Boyle - $4.5
Demers - $3.4
Fayne (when he was good/coveted) - $3.6M
Kulikov - $4.3
Markov - $5.75
Mitchell - $4.25
Quincey - 4.25
Orpik - $5.5
Niskanen - $5.75
Stralman - $4.5

Orpik is the only UFA defenseman in the past 2 years to sign a deal more than $4.85M who did not have a 40+ point season on his resume. The only one.

So whether you like it or not, your comparison is ****.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
How did contract extensions went in different teams with comparables, who were on one year RFA status left and then UFA?

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/david_savard

Here's one comparable. Savard did have 2 RFA seasons.

Two RFA seasons = 3.75M average
Three UFA seasons = 4.66M average

If DeKeyser makes a 5-year deal and first RFA year is 3.75M and rest of the UFA years are 4.66M, his avarage caphit would be 4.48M

That's the ballpark, doesn't differ much.

I could see the contract structured something like this:
1-year 3.75M
2-year 4.25M
3-year 4.50M
4 year 4.75M
5 year 5.00M

That's 4.45M caphit.

And even if you have to pay more for his UFA years, let's say like 500k more per year. 4.75 - 5.00 - 5.25 - 5.50. That cheap RFA year still drags the caphit down to 4.85M.

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

So he has 17 pts through 59 games, so naturally he will put up 13 pts in the next 19 games?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad