Friedman: RFA who will not be qualified

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Buffalo's owners are cutting costs yes. But NOT on the salaries of the players/cap. You're getting them mixed together when it isn't true. Not a guess by me, outright stated.

the same way they outright stated they were confident in botterill 2 weekS before he was fired?

talk to Friedman about it. He specifically said montour may not be qualified

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I haven’t seen this being talked about so please merge if there is another thread.

on 31 thoughts. Friedman like Lebrun was talking about the financial realities of the pandemic and teams walking away from RFAs and not qualifying due to fear of arbitrations. He mentioned

1.) Anthony athanasiou from Edmonton
2.) Brandon montour from buffalo.

Friedman has speculated that arbitration eligible RFAs that you wouldn’t think of may become available in FA as year.

who are other potential candidates? i have heard stetcher in the past as well.

Surprised on both. Both decent players and recent acquisitions. Montour wasn’t cheap either

horner

May 22, 2007
I've heard alot of owner's are going to dump salaries.
Heard in tsn Pittsburg was to drop down to 70 thousand $.
Could be some deals out there .
Buyout s

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
If Montour isn't qualified don't be one bit surprised of Dubas goes after him. Supposedly the Leags were the team that missed out on him when he went to Buffalo.

I also can't help but wonder what AA would get given the flat cap

The idea that Sabres won't qualify Montour is ridiculous. Zero chance walk away from Montour and one year of him that can be traded easily. It would be just idiotic.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I've heard alot of owner's are going to dump salaries.
Heard in tsn Pittsburg was to drop down to 70 thousand $.
Could be some deals out there .
Buyout s
If some teams are concerned about actual salary then you can’t simply rely on capfriendly. Would have to dig a bit deeper to see how much the player is being paid as they may have either front or back loaded deals rather than a straight average to match the cap hit. Could be a few to several million Either way.

I think some RFAs won’t get qualified. Those with numbers that would support a sizeable bump in an Arbitration case are the most vulnerable to not getting their QO like Ben Hutton last season. Based on numbers he likely would have aimed for mid to high $3 mill range. But the Canucks did not QO him and he ended up signing in LA around a week before training camp for $1.5 mill on a 1 year deal.

teams will try to unload these guys for whatever they can but worst case they just don’t QO them.

two types of RFA. Those who are closing in on free agency who make decent enough money so they may just sign their QO and those making under $2 mill who are looking for a big raise.

those that are making good money if the team doesn’t feel good about giving them their current salary will more likely not QO them. With guys looking for raises a trade is more likely. But that isn’t always the case as Burkovsky got dealt with a $3 mill QO.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I haven’t seen this being talked about so please merge if there is another thread.

on 31 thoughts. Friedman like Lebrun was talking about the financial realities of the pandemic and teams walking away from RFAs and not qualifying due to fear of arbitrations. He mentioned

1.) Anthony athanasiou from Edmonton
2.) Brandon montour from buffalo.

Friedman has speculated that arbitration eligible RFAs that you wouldn’t think of may become available in FA as year.

who are other potential candidates? i have heard stetcher in the past as well.

Trade AA for Montour, both teams fill a need.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If Edmonton walks from AA that would be up there with the Reinhart trade for stupidity.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
The Oilers are not going to lose AA for nothing after trading 2 seconds just months ago. He should be qualified as worst case scenario.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
The Oilers are not going to lose AA for nothing after trading 2 seconds just months ago. He should be qualified as worst case scenario.
Agreed, ole Kenny loves his RW retreads (a long list). AA gets QO to "prove/reprove" himself. One of the most enigmatic, frustrating players, oozes talent, good shot, as fast as anybody (straight line) in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad