RFA situation and NHL rules

SmCurse

Sep 4, 2013
Just crossed my mind with the current RFA situation: Let`s say that Winnipeg and Buffalo GM's agreed secretly that they will make 5*8 max. deals with Risto and Trouba would they break some rule?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Just crossed my mind with the current RFA situation: Let`s say that Winnipeg and Buffalo GM's agreed secretly that they will make 5*8 max. deals with Risto and Trouba would they break some rule?
Yes, it is called collusion, and not only is against league rules but federal regulations on labour relations.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The players wouldn't sign that so it wouldn't be deals. Just offers.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
But agents can "collude" by talking to each other about offers and their hold out strategies

No. Agents can talk to each other. So can GM's. But they can't 'collude' either. They can't get together and make secret agreements to manipulate the market. Not only against the rules but probably criminal as well.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

They would break §1 of the Sherman Act and the equivalent Canadian statute.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc

Besides the risks involved in colluding, why would the players sign the offer sheets ?

It takes two to tango.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad