Friedman: RFA Offer Sheet Compensation

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
posted by Elliotte Friedman in his 30 Thoughts, retweeted by Tyler Dellow.

A 2nd round pick for a $3.9M cap hit seems like a deal to me!

If you have a good scouting staff whom you can trust, it seems like a great time to make an offer sheet on a player coming off a lower salary whom your staff believes in.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Someone should offersheet Draisatl, 9.8 million. Like NJ. Start with Schneider, Patrick and Drai

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Offer sheets are so enigmatic in todays NHL. Any given year a team could submit an offer sheet on a player, but it never seems to happen. Is it a respect thing among GMs to not steal players by offer sheets?

I'd love to offer sheet Wennberg $3.9m and only give up a 2nd.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Offer sheets are so enigmatic in todays NHL. Any given year a team could submit an offer sheet on a player, but it never seems to happen. Is it a respect thing among GMs to not steal players by offer sheets?

The most important part of an offer sheet is getting the player to actually sign it. For example, why would Wennberg want to leave the BJs for the Avs?

The second most important part of an offer sheet is remembering that the total value is divided by the number of years OR five, whichever is less. A $27.3M/7 year contract would require a first and third round pick despite having a $3.9M cap hit.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Still totally irrelevant. When faced with that sort of draft pick compensation especially, it would be idiotic not to just match the offer.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Still totally irrelevant. When faced with that sort of draft pick compensation especially, it would be idiotic not to just match the offer.

Offersheets have a **** stigma, also, what star players simply wouldn't put pen to paper. All they've shown over the past decade is that they're a bargaining tool for players versus a tool for general managers.

There's a lot of teams that could put some major pressure on some teams and abuse the system, but it never seems to come to that (also, do you think the player wants to be known as the guy who jumped ship for more money?).

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

I am fairly certain that would be matched

Only way an offer sheet can work is you have to find a cap max team and give a guy a contract that will completely screw up their cap structure. I think a perfect example would have been to give Kucherov last year a 5 year 35M contract

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Someone should offersheet Draisatl, 9.8 million. Like NJ. Start with Schneider, Patrick and Drai

One key point to remember about the RFA compensation is that the value of the contract is divided by the LESSOR of 5 or the term of the contract.

So, if you give Leon $72 million over 8 years, the value of the RFA compensation is $72 million/5 years = $14.4 million, thus 4 first round draft picks.

So, you need to give only a 5 year deal at $49 million to get to $9.8 million, and remain at 2 first rounders, a second and a third.

Would Leon choose $49 million over 5 years or take 8 years at $7.5 million per for $60 million? $11 million over 3 years difference, which is $3.67 million per season. Never know in the NHL with injuries. Ekblad suffered 3 blows to the head in a span of 15 months, but he's got an 8 year deal in his back pocket. His call, if he does get an offer sheet. But, I think as a centre he would be the player to give it to. Worst, case you force the Oilers to tie up a lot of cap space in 2 players.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Takes two parties for an offersheet to get signed.

First, the Devils need to deem Draisaitl is worth offering nearly $10M long term. That is a lot of money to commit to any player. Not to mention the compensation they would need to give up. They need to be damn sure that Draisaitl is a franchise forward they can build around.

Second, Draisaitl needs to actually sign the offersheet. New Jersey can send whatever contract off to Draisaitl's agent that they want. But if he doesn't agree to sign it, it doesn't matter. That would mean agreeing to leave a team very clearly on the rise with the best 1-2 punch in the league outside of Crosby/Malkin and go play with the worst team in the East (no offense intended to the Devils). Not many players get the opportunity to spend their careers riding shotgun with a generational talent. McDavid and Draisaitl are very close friends and I imagine they both believe that the Oilers can be the next Penguins/Blackhawks. It's a lot to expect a player to give that opportunity up. Especially because it's not like the Oilers are going to cheap out on Draisaitl. They'll pay him his worth.

And finally, even if the Devils send an offersheet Draisaitl's way, and even if he signed it. The Oilers still have the opportunity to match it. It does the Devil's no good sending an offer sheet the Oilers way only to have it matched. Just burns a bridge that wouldn't need to be burned. For the Oilers not to match, the salary would have to be too high and the compensation would need to outweigh the cost of losing their 2nd best player. I really doubt two 1sts and a couple other picks would be enough for the Oilers to turn that contract down.

Not to say it couldn't happen. It certainly could. But if the past has shown us anything it's that offer sheets are almost never signed, and even when they are, they almost never go unmatched.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
If the Devils were anywhere a decent team then Draisaitl might think of signing. As things stand he has tasted the playoffs for the first time, the team has the next great player in McJesus and plenty of cap space. They also have PoolParty in the back pocket. Sure they need to dump Eberle and RNH but I think they can do it and be an even better team. Trust me it's painful to say that!

Much to everybody's point here it's unlike that:
A-Devils offer something as crazy as that;
B-Draisaitl signs the offer sheet

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
C'mon guys know the RFA compensation rules

Yes, the posting is correct.......but only to a point. For average costs, the the total $$$$ amount if divided by 5 (for 5,6,7 year contracts) which raises the average $$$$ amount for compensation purposes.

So if a team would be offer 7.25 X 7 contract. total dollar is 51.25m. For compensation purposes the total is divided by 5 for an average of 10.25m
So that compensation is 4 first rounders.

That is one reason why there has been so few RFA offer sheets signings. Players want the long term security which ups the compensation.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Does Washington match 4.75 at 6 years on Orlov? I'd offer that from the Sabres even if that means losing 1st and 3rd. I rate him quite high and a second all-russian pairing with Antipin sounds good to me :laugh:

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

Columbus totally doesn't match it! :sarcasm:

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
One key point to remember about the RFA compensation is that the value of the contract is divided by the LESSOR of 5 or the term of the contract.

So, if you give Leon $72 million over 8 years, the value of the RFA compensation is $72 million/5 years = $14.4 million, thus 4 first round draft picks.

So, you need to give only a 5 year deal at $49 million to get to $9.8 million, and remain at 2 first rounders, a second and a third.
I actually had no idea

Nice post

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Oilers will match tbh

yes, even if we couldn't afford whatever his cap hit would be long term, we would be able to trade him next summer if it came to it. Then we'd be able to make a real hockey trade and not settle for some picks.

I see a Drai offer sheet as win-win for Vegas though. Either they get a pricey, but much needed 1C that can take them to the playoffs year 1 maybe even. If Edm matches, then they've damaged a divisional rival long term

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
welcome to montreal leon draisaitl

Too late for Montreal. Should have traded Subban for oilers first pick, Nurse and Drai when they had a chance. Now Draisaitl is untouchable.

I bet Drai doesnt sign an offer sheet...likes playing in Edmonton. He's McDavid's buddy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad