Confirmed with Link: RFA Johnny Kovacevic sign 1 year at $750,000

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
About time Johnny got his own thread, his first since he signed his ELC. I'd have bumped it, but doing so when new contracts occur always confuses. Further the guys deserves some attention!

A 6'5" right shooting defensemen who may have been the best player on the Moose last year.

Jets 3rd rounder, 74th overall in 2017, he's now 24, about to begin his 3rd pro season & may be NHL ready.

A great right shooting option for the Jets to promote should the need arise at RD & signed to just $750,000.

Winnipeg Jets sign RFA Johnathan Kovacevic to a one-year contract | Illegal Curve Hockey
Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 1.50.51 AM.png

Last edited:

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Always interesting when some random pick you forgot about years ago completes the slow development process

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
He is still waiver exempt for 1 more year.

He should dominate on the Moose this year and force his way up to the Jets…. On some injury replacement time!

Reactions: CanWin and hn777

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
One of my dark-horse faves. Had an excellent season last year for the Moose, without fanfare developing into their most consistent defender night after night (perhaps just after Heinola), playing a smart, steady game with plenty of snarl and rarely making mistakes. He is in a way what some seem to want to Stanley to be -- big, strong, punishing stay-at-home D who does not panic and can either skate or pass his way out of danger.

I can see him making the jump and sticking as a solid 5/6 when he gets a shot. My biggest reason for not signing a big-name RHD this offseason.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Pretty slick prospect that has flown under the radar for awhile now. Big, moves really well. Haven't seen a tonne of him but those who watch the Moose know he's an interesting piece for the future of the Jets.

He'll probably get a shot at the roster if someone goes down so hopefully he grabs the bull by the horns. Having Johnny break out as a top 6 Dman in the NHL would do wonder for our contract situation. We could then potentially move someone and open up some contract space elsewhere.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Aavco has also mentioned Kovacevic has looked better than Samberg.

David Minuk from IL has also gushed about him for sometime now.
If hes's ceiling is higher than Samberg and Kovacevic projects to be a 3rd pairing guy, thats kind of unfortunate that neither then really projects to being 2nd pairing material. This is more from Samberg's perspective. I'm really happy to see Kovacevic making a case of being an NHL player.

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
He's next year's Niku, who probably won't be back after this coming season. He'll be the first call-up for 2022/2023, I hope it works out for him and the team.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Didn't really watch much Moose last season. How does he compare with Samberg? Whos closer to being NHL ready?

I would put Johnny K ahead at this point, strictly in terms of maturity and NHL-readiness. Samberg has plenty of talent and potential but his positioning and decision-making can use some extra time in the A. Neither is close to Heinola in terms of top-pairing potential at this point, IMO. Ville looked like he was playing with kids at times last year, just miles ahead of the play and waiting for it to catch up with him. Yeah, he needs to be more explosive and stronger, but he'll be pushing JMo before long if he gets a shot.

So yeah, can definitely see Kova making a case this year. He's a smarter, tougher, smoother and less panicky Poolman.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I have always liked Johnny. I hope he gets some time on the big club at some point. Seems like a Maurice player prototype wise. Nice to have this type of depth for injury call ups.

Last edited:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I would put Johnny K ahead at this point, strictly in terms of maturity and NHL-readiness. Samberg has plenty of talent and potential but his positioning and decision-making can use some extra time in the A. Neither is close to Heinola in terms of top-pairing potential at this point, IMO. Ville looked like he was playing with kids at times last year, just miles ahead of the play and waiting for it to catch up with him. Yeah, he needs to be more explosive and stronger, but he'll be pushing JMo before long if he gets a shot.

So yeah, can definitely see Kova making a case this year. He's a smarter, tougher, smoother and less panicky Poolman.

Poolman's skating was very good, in terms of acceleration. Kovacevic will never get there. The pace of the A is in general slower, so it will be different than having Nate Mackinnon, Mc David, or Heiskanen coming at you. I'd say he looked positionally bettter than Stanley in the times I saw him in the A, but not all that much faster.

There's 0 room to grow into this team right now, after Niku gets moved, he could be the 1st callup. It's Johnny K's make or break year, if he doesn't make the NHL, it's probably time to move on, because Simon Lundmark will be coming around the corner. I can see him becoming a valuable PKer, like Poolman though.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Kovacevic has been a dark horse favourite prospect of mine since his college years. He had a mediocre first year with the Moose, but was very strong this past season.

I still think Samberg has a higher ceiling and will be a better NHLer because of his great skating and his better defensive play. Also, Samberg is younger and his first AHL season was quite a bit stronger than Kovacevic's. I still think Samberg has 2nd pair potential (maybe in a Dillon mode), and Kovacevic could be a strong 3rd pair RD at some point. Both are big and physical, which will earn them patience and opportunities by the organization.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Kovacevic has been a dark horse favourite prospect of mine since his college years. He had a mediocre first year with the Moose, but was very strong this past season.

I still think Samberg has a higher ceiling and will be a better NHLer because of his great skating and his better defensive play. Also, Samberg is younger and his first AHL season was quite a bit stronger than Kovacevic's. I still think Samberg has 2nd pair potential (maybe in a Dillon mode), and Kovacevic could be a strong 3rd pair RD at some point. Both are big and physical, which will earn them patience and opportunities by the organization.

The problem with being a strong 3rd pairing d-man is that is the role that De Melo plays and the role the Jets seem to want him for. But going into next season, he could take Beaulieu's role at 3/5 cost. Maybe even this season, as Boo Boo is a health risk the way he plays. I had him ahead of both Niku and Gawanke last year. I'd be interested to read what our experts think of Chisholm in comparison to Kovacevic in terms of regular NHL potential.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
The problem with being a strong 3rd pairing d-man is that is the role that De Melo plays and the role the Jets seem to want him for. But going into next season, he could take Beaulieu's role at 3/5 cost. Maybe even this season, as Boo Boo is a health risk the way he plays. I had him ahead of both Niku and Gawanke last year. I'd be interested to read what our experts think of Chisholm in comparison to Kovacevic in terms of regular NHL potential.[/QUOTE] /QUOTE] [

Well, I'm no expert in anything hockey, but here's my 2c: Chisholm is a really interesting player, and one I've watched since junior because of family connections. Great skater, strong instincts and positioning, excellent all-rounder who surprised with the speed of his transition into the AHL. He doesn't have world-beating size, strength, speed or shot, but he is another very smart player who has excellent 4-way mobility without obvious weaknesses, IMO, and one who has developed well at every level.

It will be interesting to see him this season, but I wouldn't be surprised if he continues to develop and eventually becomes a sort of JMo-lite NHLer, who can be relied on in most situations. He's a better pure hockey player than Kovacevic, I think, but there's the size disadvantage, although Chisholm isn't small.

Plenty to look froward to with our current D prospects, lots of skill and variety, players who should ripen at some of the right times and who bring different useful attributes to the table.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad