Speculation: RFA’s who might not get qualified

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
Apologies if there is a thread already and delete if so.

Curious about RFA’s you think might not get qualified. Either because of performance or the qualifying number is too high.

For Leafs, Gregor is a candidate. He was ok and they could keep at near league minimum but they may just want to move on to try someone else.

Others? Aside from the world junior crew who likely won’t be qualified.

Reactions: JUSTGIROUXIT

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Several interesting ones for Anaheim, Isac Lundestrom, Max Jones, Brett Leason, Urho Vaakanainen, and Gustav Lindstrom. All are serviceable players and all could be kept, but either due to them not being drafted/acquired by the current GM or seemingly not being liked by the coaching staff could lead to potential non-tenders depending on what they have in mind in terms of salary structure and how they want to fill out the lineup

Last edited:

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
Several interesting ones for Anaheim, Isac Lundestrom, Max Jones, Brett Leason, Urho Vaakanainen, and Gustav Lindstrom. All are serviceable players and all could be kept, but either due to them not being drafted/acquired by the current GM or seemingly being liked by the coaching staff could lead to potential non-tenders depending on what they have in mind in terms of salary structure and how they want to fill out the lineup

Always thought Lundestrom could be another Elias Lindholm or at least Backlund. Seems to have been stuck by losing time to injuries.

Skeletorrr

May 15, 2011
Finland
Several interesting ones for Anaheim, Isac Lundestrom, Max Jones, Brett Leason, Urho Vaakanainen, and Gustav Lindstrom. All are serviceable players and all could be kept, but either due to them not being drafted/acquired by the current GM or seemingly being liked by the coaching staff could lead to potential non-tenders depending on what they have in mind in terms of salary structure and how they want to fill out the lineup
I'd be very happy to see Vaakanainen having a shot with the Panthers if Ducks won't give him a qualifying offer.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Ylonen is the only one for Montreal off the top of my head. Looks like he has potential at times, but just doesn't really do anything most of the time. He's fine as a warm body for anyone who needs to fill out their bottom line, but he'll probably be pushed out by prospects getting a chance next year. Might be qualified if they want to keep everyone in the AHL, though.

Ledge And Dairy

There's a bunch of players in the AHL but going through NHL teams here's the names I can see from their main rosters that are debatable or likely not qualified. Pretty much only players with arb rights.

Anaheim: the ones posted above by MMC
Los Angeles: Lizotte (cap reasons if at all), Grundstrom
San Jose: Studnicka
Seattle: Yamamoto

Chicago: Johnson, Anderson, Entwistle (maybe)
Dallas: Dellandrea
Minnesota: Shaw, Chisholm
Nashville: Anderson-Dolan, Stastney (maybe)
Winnipeg: Gustafsson, Stanley

Columbus: Nylander (he's producing now but small sample size)
New Jersey: N. Foote
Pittsburgh: Bemstrom (hard to say with this team since they so desperately need youth)

Boston: Boqvist
Buffalo: Bryson, Clague
Detroit: Veleno (probably not, I think they try to trade him instead)
Florida: Mahura
Montreal: Ylonen
Ottawa: Katchouk
Tampa Bay: Brown

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
There's a bunch of players in the AHL but going through NHL teams here's the names I can see from their main rosters that are debatable or likely not qualified. Pretty much only players with arb rights.

Pittsburgh: Bemstrom (hard to say with this team since they so desperately need youth)

Ottawa may not qualify Brannstrom.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
I can't see Jones getting an offer. Leason seems like he'd be easily replaceable, & yet with the strides he has taken in his game in the 2nd half of the season I'd hope that they'd keep him around. Unless PV picks up some minute munching UFA Ds, Vaak & Lindstrom will be needed to shelter/guide all the upcoming D prospects. If they only keep one, keep Vaak. Lundestrom ... eh, keep around. It's going to be another rebuilding year (hopefully the last) & he does his job reasonably well.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Room needs to be made in order to bring in some depth players with more standout qualities (speed, grit, heart etc). None of these players have been bad by any means but they don't individually or collectively bring enough to the table, at least a couple will need to go. If the Ducks are going to start improving, they need less filler on the roster.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Uh, Stastney is definitely not in this category. He should be a regular next season and is better than several regulars here in the current lineup. He’s a definite keeper and figures prominently in the Preds future plans on the blue line.

The only catch with him is that he will still be waiver exempt while Del Gaizo won’t be so the numbers game could conceivably affect where he starts. But he’ll definitely be signed and doesn’t fit in this thread.

Ledge And Dairy

Uh, Stastney is definitely not in this category. He should be a regular next season and is better than several regulars here in the current lineup. He’s a definite keeper and figures prominently in the Preds future plans on the blue line.

The only catch with him is that he will still be waiver exempt while Del Gaizo won’t be so the numbers game could conceivably affect where he starts. But he’ll definitely be signed and doesn’t fit in this thread.
Why do people get so defensive about the most random of players? I made a quick list of arbitration eligible depth players and put "maybe" next to his name for a reason. Hell he might not even get qualified but still signs a contract with the Preds. If he does he does, if he doesn't he doesn't. I highly doubt there will be much if any threads made about him so this really isn't worth arguing about.

Reactions: Rare Jewel

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
For the Rangers, I can't see Olof Lindbom getting qualified. The Rangers already have 6 goalies under contract for next season and Lindbom, despite good numbers in limited AHL time, hasn't been good in the ECHL this year, or really anywhere in any year since he was drafted. He'll probably end up going back to Sweden.

Other possibilities are Bobby Trivigno and Karl Henriksson. Trivigno has been a healthy scratch a number of times over the last two years and hasn't produced much when he has played. Henriksson doesn't produce much either, but he's consistently in the lineup, and the Rangers don't have a ton of center depth. Of the two, Henriksson is the more likely to receive a QO.

Reactions: doomscroll

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Apologies if there is a thread already and delete if so.

Curious about RFA’s you think might not get qualified. Either because of performance or the qualifying number is too high.

For Leafs, Gregor is a candidate. He was ok and they could keep at near league minimum but they may just want to move on to try someone else.

Others? Aside from the world junior crew who likely won’t be qualified.
the non QO has to do with players who would file for arbitration.

On Buffalo they have Jacob Bryson, and riley Stillman at LD. I dont see either getting QO but I see them resigning at least one of them.

Buffalo also has 4 group 6 UFAs F in rochester in Biro, Weissbach, Murray, and richards

I think there are going to be surprises across the league with teams with tight cap space not QO players

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

i dont disagree with your list

the issue is if they are arbitration eligible and could they have an argument for a much higher salary like $3M+ where these teams would like them at $1M-$1.5M

a player like Statsney on nashville who has not yet played 80 NHL games is not one to file for arbitraion. Nashville likely signs him to a 2 way contract and he will sign it without any sort of drama. The NHL salary is likely around $900K and then AHL around $300K

Bryson, has played 200+ NHL games has a much bigger case of getting something more even as a regular bottom pair D with an award likely above $2.5M per or higher. Buffalo has the cap space to take that on, but do they want

They also have Jokiharju who in arbitration likely gets $4M+ in arbitration. hes 1 yr from UFA.

If Buffalo was to make a trade/UFA for a RD this could open him being traded or not QO'd (deadline July 5 IIRC)

Reactions: Folignos Helmet

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
I was thinking Branstrom, Lizotte and Texier when i saw the list, not because of play, mostly because of the qualifying number and what else the teams have in stock.
Maybe Kunin from SJ, but they have no cap issues, so might just keep him, even with a high qualifying number.
Maybe Jake Bean as well, as his number is high and they have a lot of D coming, but maybe a trade candidate.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think the 2Dmen for Anaheim, they return if the Ducks view them as 7th D. They have 3 youngsters in Mintyukov, LaCombe, Zelleweger on the roster next season. Should be paired with a good veteran, to which they only have Fowler and Gudas. These 2 are not in the same class thus they need to go and acquire someone. So, if those 2 are getting #6/7 Dman money, they will be qualified IMO. If their numbers are looking higher than that, Ana probably opts to let them walk. Both have arbitration rights, so they need to figure out what their case number would likely end up at if they end up there.

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
I was thinking Branstrom, Lizotte and Texier when i saw the list, not because of play, mostly because of the qualifying number and what else the teams have in stock.
Maybe Kunin from SJ, but they have no cap issues, so might just keep him, even with a high qualifying number.
Maybe Jake Bean as well, as his number is high and they have a lot of D coming, but maybe a trade candidate.
I'd be shocked if Kunin was not qualified. He was one of the new regime's first acquisitions and was recently named an assistant captain. Both David Quinn and Mike Grier have nothing but good things to say about him.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

Stastney from Nashville will absolutely be qualified and will most likely be on the NHL roster next year.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Blackhawks RFAs:
F - MacKenzie Entwistle (Arb Eligible)
F - Reese Johnson (Arb Eligible)
F - Joey Anderson (Arb Eligible)
F - Taylor Raddysh (Arb Eligible)
F - Cole Guttman (Arb Eligible)
F - Lukas Reichel
F - Michal Teply
D - Alex Vlasic (Arb Eligible)
D - Filip Roos (Arb Eligible)
D - Isaak Phillips
D - Louis Crevier
G - Jaxson Stauber (Arb Eligible)

I think they will qualify J. Anderson, Guttman, Reichel, Vlasic, Phillips, Crevier and Stauber

I think they will not qualify Entwistle, R. Johnson, Raddysh, Teply and Roos.

I think Raddysh could go either way. The lack of production this most recent season makes me lean towards non-qualifying and open up the spot for young guys. I still believe that he can likely end up signing a league minimum deal somewhere. Good penalty killer and it's hard to imagine his on-ice shooting percentage being this low again.

Reactions: barriers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad