Speculation: RFA’s - The unqualified and the offer sheets

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Part of me wants him to, though I'm 99% sure he wouldn't, especially not to TB. If he goes that route, I'd want him to OS Serg & Cirelli simultaneously, that way, we're more likely to get at least 1 of them.
Ya that would never happen haha , it would be entertaining

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Care to elaborate?
I don't really feel like digging up links but he's said racist things on a few occasions. It's the main reason he was moved by Tampa. He's well known for being a vocal supporter of the alt-right and retweeting sexist, racist and otherwise unsavory opinions.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Do you mean 1 player per team? Or 1 player total, leaguewide?
One per team. Granted, technically there is no limit to the number of players you can sign to an offer sheet at the same time, but in practice it’s only 1 because the rules forbid a team from signing any player to an offer sheet if the potential draft pick compensation is already attached to another offer sheet. So if you wanted to offer sheet someone like Barkov or Sergachev, any additional offer sheet to another player couldn’t use any 1st round picks since those are already tied as potential compensation. That’s why realistically a team can only sign 1 offer sheet at a time because there really isn’t a point in signing players to offer sheets for 2nd pick or below compensation as any player worth offer sheeting will be easily matched by the current team at that cap level.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
One per team. Granted, technically there is no limit to the number of players you can sign to an offer sheet at the same time, but in practice it’s only 1 because the rules forbid a team from signing any player to an offer sheet if the potential draft pick compensation is already attached to another offer sheet. So if you wanted to offer sheet someone like Barkov or Sergachev, any additional offer sheet to another player couldn’t use any 1st round picks since those are already tied as potential compensation. That’s why realistically a team can only sign 1 offer sheet at a time because there really isn’t a point in signing players to offer sheets for 2nd pick or below compensation as any player worth offer sheeting will be easily matched by the current team at that cap level.
Makes sense. I didn't think it through. I'd love a Serg OS, followed by a Cirelli OS exactly 1 week later then.

I see RWC as your homepage, God do I miss that site, RIP Matt Wuest.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Makes sense. I didn't think it through. I'd love a Serg OS, followed by a Cirelli OS exactly 1 week later then.

RWC got me into following both Red Wings prospects and prospects more generally. Matt also was the mastermind behind CapGeek (as evinced by the Zetterberg background). RIP to a true GOAT.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
RWC got me into following both Red Wings prospects and prospects more generally. Matt also was the mastermind behind CapGeek (as evinced by the Zetterberg background). RIP to a true GOAT.
Yep, I'm aware. I found RWC in ~'00 via Allsports.com, then within a year found HF boards, but didn't post on HF til years later, just read/lurked. RWC was a lot of great posters. Who was that guy who died? Was it Captain Bob? (also RIP)

Sarah Lindenau was another one aka Lindy. I found her on LinkedIn lol, along w/Eric Tangradi (we're now connections).

Good times for sure.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
On the 31 Thoughts Podcast, Friedman says there are teams in the NHL convinced Yzerman and BreisBois are going to cook up a deal where Tampa trades us an RFA with a sweetener and then before the season starts, we trade the player back and retain salary in the process. I don’t see a world where that happens but it’s funny people are that paranoid about what Yzerman could scheme up.
Pretty sure there's a waiting period before you can ship a player back to the team you acquired them from. Likely to avoid scenarios just like this.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Yep, I'm aware. I found RWC in ~'00 via Allsports.com, then within a year found HF boards, but didn't post on HF til years later, just read/lurked. RWC was a lot of great posters. Who was that guy who died? Was it Captain Bob? (also RIP)

Sarah Lindenau was another one aka Lindy. I found her on LinkedIn lol, along w/Eric Tangradi (we're now connections).

Good times for sure.
I think it was Captain Bob, but its been years since I even thought of anyone from that old crew, which is a real shame. Glad you connected with Lindy and Eric, they were some of my favorites from that board.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I think it was Captain Bob, but its been years since I even thought of anyone from that old crew, which is a real shame. Glad you connected with Lindy and Eric, they were some of my favorites from that board.

Matt Wuest died.
There's still a RWC message board with some old timers. Small but good knowledgable group.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

If Serg accepts and TB doesn’t match you wouldn’t be able to offer sheet Cirelli. The picks must be in the next draft (unless multiple 1sts) and you would have used your at least your 1st and 2nd to get Serg.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
No real need to offer sheet... Its a broken system that has worked how many times? We are rebuilding, and stock piling picks. If we were already competitive and close to a playoff spot I could maybe see it.. But no one player is turning us into a good team at this point in time of the rebuild. You could sign McDavid and we may finish last. Im all for continuing to suck while picking up assets via draft and smart trades & UFAs.

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
Yeah I'm usually pretty willing to accept that athletes often have poor social and political opinions and concern myself only with on-ice performance, but I have no interest in DeAngelo because of his views. I would find it hard to root for him.

At the risk of offending a fellow FSM parishioner: I hope Stevie doesn't name you (or anyone else who would base personnel decisions on political litmus tests) as Assistant to the Assistant GM.

And not just for the sake of the team, but for the sake of the sport, for the sake of sports generally, and for the sake of society.

The NBA has political slogans painted on their floors and stitched on their backs, and their viewership is half what it was for last year's finals. And that has nothing to do with COVID -- viewership should be up, since more people are stuck at home. NBA's game 1 lost to The Masked Singer.

About the only thing actually useful about professional spectator sports is the way that it brings together a broad swath of society -- rich and poor, black and white, conservative and progressive -- to shout in unison "you suck" when the refs blow a call. It's the one time we're all on the same side. Or at least that's how things once worked -- before one side decided Balkanization of society would be a good thing.

They might want to check and see how that worked for the Balkans before continuing much further down that road.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Seems to be a lot of interesting names not getting qualified today. Wonder if Yzerman takes a flier on any:

Dominik Kahun
Slater Koekkoek - A dman who Yzerman drafted 10OA in 2012 and paid a steep price to protect from Vegas in the ED. He seemed to progressing in Chicago this past season.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
A guy like Erik Cernak would be intriguing. You could get into that second round territory if you come in at a 4 year AAV. I think that would be a nice gamble, but it is a decent chunk of change for a guy that isn’t an offensive D. Your right side would be solidified though.

TB would just match anything that isn't a ridiculous overpay, which is why there are no offersheets at all and especially not to non star players.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Pretty sure you can only offer sheet one player at a time.

As long as you have the appropriate OWN picks, you can offersheet as many as fit that criteria. All picks must be your own, for the most part though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad