Speculation: RFA’s - The unqualified and the offer sheets

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
So chances are we won’t pursue an offer sheet this summer, but it’s not out of the realm of possibility we go down that road. We are armed with picks and flush with cash. The question is, who would make sense to pursue? I’m thinking your guys that won’t cost firsts.

Also, it sounds like the UFA market could see a decent amount of talented unqualified RFA’s due to teams unable or unwilling to meet that price. It sounds like that is what is about to happen to Athanasiou, though I see no way we go after him again.

Anyone have any thoughts on guys in either category we could pursue?

I should probably have provided an example in this post, but I’m not in that headspace yet.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
A guy like Erik Cernak would be intriguing. You could get into that second round territory if you come in at a 4 year AAV. I think that would be a nice gamble, but it is a decent chunk of change for a guy that isn’t an offensive D. Your right side would be solidified though.

Reactions: Henkka

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Wasn't NYR rumored to be letting DeAngelo walk because of money? If anything makes me hesitate to sign Krug, it's the possibility of going after DeAngelo.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
He takes a lot of bad/untimely penalties from what I've read...

His penalties taken don't seem out of line for his minutes. They are pretty in line with what Hronek and Green took this year. And not out of line with what other top4 guys on other teams take. He had that bad moment in the series against Carolina where he racked up 14 pims with a couple of minors and a misconduct, but the game was all but over at that point. My concern is his having a shooting percentage at all close to this year.

But he's right handed. He's younger. He puts up a bunch of points. He checks a lot of boxes for us.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
On the 31 Thoughts Podcast, Friedman says there are teams in the NHL convinced Yzerman and BreisBois are going to cook up a deal where Tampa trades us an RFA with a sweetener and then before the season starts, we trade the player back and retain salary in the process. I don’t see a world where that happens but it’s funny people are that paranoid about what Yzerman could scheme up.

Reactions: Sir Savage the 21st

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
I offer sheet Barzal at 8.5-9.3 max term.
The islanders will have a lot of trouble finding the money to match it.

2 firsts
1 second
1 third.

if he takes 8.5-8.7 it’s only 1 first

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
On the 31 Thoughts Podcast, Friedman says there are teams in the NHL convinced Yzerman and BreisBois are going to cook up a deal where Tampa trades us an RFA with a sweetener and then before the season starts, we trade the player back and retain salary in the process. I don’t see a world where that happens but it’s funny people are that paranoid about what Yzerman could scheme up.
isn’t that “tampering”

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
I offer sheet Barzal at 8.5-9.3 max term.
The islanders will have a lot of trouble finding the money to match it.

2 firsts
1 second
1 third.

if he takes 8.5-8.7 it’s only 1 first

If you offer him 8.5 for max term (7 years) it is 4 1st round picks. 8.5*7= 59.5; 59.5/5 = 11.9 which is 4 1st territory.
os.jpg

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Yzerman would never do that, Not even sure the league would allow something like that.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Yzerman literally sent DeAngelo packing from Tampa due to his poor attitude. He would never bring him in.
Yeah I'm usually pretty willing to accept that athletes often have poor social and political opinions and concern myself only with on-ice performance, but I have no interest in DeAngelo because of his views. I would find it hard to root for him.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Where is this from? Never knew the rule of 5 years being the max for aav

looks like my term is now 5 years lol

Offer Sheet Calculator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Offer Sheet Calculator

• An offer sheet consists of 7 compensation tiers.
  • Compensation to the receiving club is made up entirely of draft picks.
  • The draft picks must available in the nearest entry draft, unless the compensation requires two or more draft picks in the same round: an extra year can be used to for compensation for these picks (if two 1st round picks are required, the club must have two 1st round picks available in the next three drafts)
  • Compensation is determined by the annual average (AAV) outlined in the offer made by submitting club.
  • The AAV for an offer sheet, which determines the compensation required, is derived by dividing the total contract value amount by the lesser of:
    • number of years offered, or
    • five (5) years
  • The AAV thresholds are readjusted each season, and is based on the average league salary for that season.
  • An offer sheet cannot be greater than 7 years in length.
  • See the Offer Sheet FAQ for additional information.

Reactions: 14ari13

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Wasn't NYR rumored to be letting DeAngelo walk because of money? If anything makes me hesitate to sign Krug, it's the possibility of going after DeAngelo.

And they had Adam Fox emerge as a younger and cheaper option to replace his production. They aren't hurting to keep a guy like DeAngelo at the moment.

Which must feel nice.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
A guy like Erik Cernak would be intriguing. You could get into that second round territory if you come in at a 4 year AAV. I think that would be a nice gamble, but it is a decent chunk of change for a guy that isn’t an offensive D. Your right side would be solidified though.

Rather just keep Lindstrom.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad