Post-Game Talk: Rexall, Northlands, Skyreach Centre, Edmonton Coliseum-final NHL bow

McGreat One

Jan 1, 2010
I'll preface as well.

If I can preface this, what a wonderful post and its my wish you would post more often. . Indeed. If a fanbased messageboard isn't the place to express connected topical thoughts than what is?

Thanks for the kind words and I agree, expressing your views is exactly what this site is all about no matter how many disagree with what you have to say.

Yes, but to somebody that knows the history intimately, and what an interesting history it is, the ceremony waxed very briefly over the founder Bill Hunter, without which the dream of the Oilers, Rexall, NHL, doesn't exist. So in Essence a Shawn Belle got as much air time as a Bill Hunter. That's plain sad.

I agree with this 100%. Even though I'm all for celebrating the memories that occurred in the building, how the whole legacy came about in the first place should have gotten more attention than it did.

Here I disagree. Its the visions and foresight of forefathers to build one of the best arenas in the world at the time in the sleepy backwater called Edmonton that put this city on the map. No less than Wayne Gretzky is unequivocal that he wouldn't have signed here without the Arena. People in the know have long known Badali, his agent was Leaning Winnipegs way and with the way the Jets played the game (euro styled hockey) being a natural fit for Wayne. All of what people think about at Rexall doesn't occur without the visions and hardwork to get the Excellent Coliseum built.

Yeah, on the right day I'm as nostalgic as anybody but I know all the stories, read all the books, was here for it all. Its great stuff for people that want to rehash that again and/or are less familiar with it. Still, that stated they glossed over a lot of the history. Thing is they spent more time in ceremony than a Queens Coronation and in so doing so celebrating the team more than the building. In effect the Oilers moved the goal posts. This was advertised as a swansong for Rexall. It became imo another multiple hour love in for the Oilers.

You see, here is what I was talking about when I said your opinions differ from most other fans. As I mentioned in my previous post, I think the best way to celebrate and say farewell to this iconic building is to celebrate what made it iconic in the first place.

My view is that you just can't celebrate Rexall without talking about the Championships this arena has seen, the special players that called it home and most importantly the fans that absolutely rocked the building during the golden years.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't believe it was the construction or quality of the stadium that make it so special, it was the memories. And from what I've seen and read leading up to and following the ceremony, there seems to be a hell of a lot people who feel the same way.

Let me ask you this, if the Oilers hadn't won either cup during the 80's and Gretzky was just an average player with zero records to his name, do you think this building would be considered as legendary and historic as it has become? I doubt it.

In saying all that, I do understand what you're saying. I understand that none of these memories probably would have happened without the construction and design of this building. And I understand that you and a few others think the focus should have been centered on that aspect. What I'm saying is that I get the feel that the majority of fans believe that they did it the right way and celebrated what happened inside those doors that made Rexall so iconic in the first place.

This is where being from out of town means you may not have the whole story. The Nostalgic ceremonies here have been endless the last dozen or so years. The Oilers have been milking this for seemingly ever. While putting out a losing team for a decade that has missed the playoffs for a record decade. A low point in NHL history and celebrating? After a 5-0 loss on home ice to Calgary?

I guarantee you if this ceremony would have occurred immediately after the Flames game reactions would be unpredictable. The team **** the bed that night and it seems as if one W lets them off the hook because the fanbase is induced down memory lane yet one more time.

Just because this team has sucked and has become a laughing stock of the league the past decade doesn't mean you have to forget the success this organization once had.

I'm as pissed off and sour by the direction this team has taken as anyone, but to be honest, ceremonies like this kind of make me feel a little better about the team and for one night makes me forget about the last 10 years.

I honestly believe, whether intentional or not, that this ceremony serves 2 purposes. One to celebrate Rexall Place and all it's history and the other is to put the recent woes behind us. It's the end of an era and part of that era has been the last decade of losing. The departure of Rexall leaves all that in the past. The good and the bad. The opening of Rogers Place represents a clean slate. A new beginning so to speak.

A lot of people here have commented that the Oilers org have utilized these trips down memory lane to distract from the terrible entertainment product and team they have actually been providing for decades. Nor does the one outlier cup run in 06 really dispel that. We've had futility here mostly since 1992. 25 seasons of futility with a paltry 3 playoff seasons in all that duration. In essence we're celebrating in context of that.

It's been some trying times no doubt, but I think one thing we can all agree on is that it's time to turn this thing around. Let's just hope and pray that the opening of the doors of Rogers Place brings with it the same success that opening the doors of Northlands brought to this team so many years ago.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
They don't build building to last for hundred of years anymore. It's not profitable over an small number of quarters.
The 70's were known for solid construction and Northlands will easily stand 100 years.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So what happens if Rogers Place is delayed and they have to play a game or two at Rexall. Do we do this again?

It was something brought up on Gregor's show that made me chuckle

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Well, if it's worth anything......I'm going to Iron Maiden for the 5th and last time at Rexall tonight with my daughter on her B-day (17 today) and her buddy.

Gonna be an epic last stand for me in that place. It's where it all started. And my daughters 1st concert ever!!

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Coffey didn't look to thrilled that he brought that up :laugh:
Has Coffey ever looked thrilled? His standard expression is like a normal person having root canal.
I heard on Canucks radio this morning that Gretzky scored 933 points in Northlands Coliseum alone. That may be the most amazing stat I have ever heard.
Here's another one to chew on: In 1981-82, Gretzky scored 59 goals and 123 points only at Northlands Coliseum.

No, that's not a typo.

Originally Posted By*

Has Coffey ever looked thrilled? His standard expression is like a normal person having root canal.

Here's another one to chew on: In 1981-82, Gretzky scored 59 goals and 123 points only at Northlands Coliseum.

No, that's not a typo.

Incredible.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Well, if it's worth anything......I'm going to Iron Maiden for the 5th and last time at Rexall tonight with my daughter on her B-day (17 today) and her buddy.

Gonna be an epic last stand for me in that place. It's where it all started. And my daughters 1st concert ever!!

Up the Irons , Bro!!!! Not going to this one, but let me know how it went!!

McHilman

Nov 28, 2007
Edmonton
Up the Irons , Bro!!!! Not going to this one, but let me know how it went!!

Definitely the best "tour bus" I've ever seen, Oilers were leaving for YVR today when this bad boy was parked there:

CfirS6bUIAAZwU0.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/718512513302667264

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
People still use 747's? Wow. I thought those went obsolete years ago.

Airplanes like that get many updates. The 747 is on the 747-8 version right now I believe.

It is dying out as a fixture of course, but not because it's obsolete. Air carriers just prefer two engine planes over 4 engine ones.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

No, that's not a typo.

So I guess, by comparison, that he struggled on the road that year? :sarcasm:

sundog

Jun 17, 2007
Did anybody notice, near the end of the third period...Mark Lewis said,...

"Last minute of play at Rexall".....

Thought that was a nice sendoff...

Lol Abou 30 seconds before he announced that my ten year old son said he should announce it that way.
He was pretty pleased when Mark Lewis took his suggestion. I think that was the highlight of the evening for him. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00