Rewatching Game of Thrones

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Thought the first four seasons were pretty good but still generally overrated and consistently had one or two really weak plot threads or acting performances (but totally understandable how popular it was-- it was pretty addictive) even during its peak, and then it became outright mediocre/bad after that. I found it a bit strange how so many people didn't seem to acknowledge its plummet and were really defense about criticism until season 8, personally.

It's not even remotely on my radar for best television of all time, personally.

Reactions: zombie kopitar

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Thought the first four seasons were pretty good but still generally overrated and consistently had one or two really weak plot threads or acting performances (but totally understandable how popular it was-- it was pretty addictive) even during its peak, and then it became outright mediocre/bad after that. I found it a bit strange how so many people didn't seem to acknowledge its plummet and were really defense about criticism until season 8, personally.

It's not even remotely on my radar for best television of all time, personally.

Probably because they didn't think it was as bad as people made it out to be.

I loved the entire series, could they have done the ending better? Absolutely, but I still had a hell of a time watching it, and 2 of my favorite episodes in the series were also in the final season. People just have difference opinions, i'm ok with that.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Probably because they didn't think it was as bad as people made it out to be.

I loved the entire series, could they have done the ending better? Absolutely, but I still had a hell of a time watching it, and 2 of my favorite episodes in the series were also in the final season. People just have difference opinions, i'm ok with that.
I partly comment on it because the fandom was frustrating to deal with at the time. Personally, I didn't see that big of a difference in quality between season 8 and season 7, yet (some not all) people I encountered still seemed to take criticism of 7 pretty personally and were quick to dismiss "haters", but then turned around and hyperbolically treated season 8 like it was a world-ending catastrophe or something. Found the contrast very strange.

Last edited:

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
I partly comment on it because the fandom was frustrating to deal with at the time. Personally, I didn't see that big of a difference in quality between season 8 and season 7, yet (some not all) people I encountered still seemed to take criticism of 7 pretty personally and were quick to dismiss "haters", but then turned around and hyperbolically treated season 8 like it was a world-ending catastrophe or something. Found the contrast very strange.
If you go to the GoT subreddit they mostly hate s7 now, but you're right now that it's okay to do it they say it. I personally hated that religious cult/High Sparrow arc in s5, it for sure went down hill then, I hate it more than anything in s7 personally, but yeah I already went over how I think it's pretty over rated in/the writers ruined the show in that consensus thread

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
If you go to the GoT subreddit they mostly hate s7 now, but you're right now that it's okay to do it they say it. I personally hated that religious cult/High Sparrow arc in s5, it for sure went down hill then, I hate it more than anything in s7 personally, but yeah I already went over how I think it's pretty over rated in/the writers ruined the show in that consensus thread
Agreed, that's actually one thing I strangely appreciated about the reception that 8 ended up getting. After so many people turned on 8, it felt like they suddenly became receptive/tolerant of criticism towards the other seasons. Before that shoe dropped, though, people vehemently defended the show as if dissent was an attack on their livelihoods or something, and then the moment the bubble burst, it felt like fans collectively went "*sigh*..... alright, fine." Funny how tribal things like this can get and how quickly that can turn on a dime.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I mean personally as someone who was defending the show a lot into the Eighth season, part of it was copium/denial., part of it was in spite of the decline I was still enjoying the pay off of a good number of moments and was still invested, and the other part was I still felt and still feel that seasons 6 and 7 maintained a certain level of entertainment quality if not sophistication in story telling so seeing some hold the opinion that those seasons were some abortion of television, I thought people were being overly harsh.

In hindsight, I still enjoy Season 6 and 7 but the benefit of a long time with hindsight makes a lot of the flaws I overlooked more glaring. But I'm not going to act like the Battle of the Bastards and its lead up isn't entertaining to me even if there's some structural flaws in the story, just to name one example.

Season 5 to me is one of the two I'd have to labor to get through. Across the board, the story is dull and tonally...strange. The only way I can describe it is you can feel D&D's uncertainty in not having material to adapt through almost every facet of the season. Few big moments outside of Hardhome provide any real entertainment and the Sand Snakes are f***ing awful on top of that. Everything in Dorne sucked. The religious uprising thing could have been compelling if it had been written with more proficiency than "Cersei needs an opponent to overcome on her way to being Queen"

At least in season 8 there were some emotional payoffs here and there. But, in hindsight I don't know if I can bring myself to watch it again. So many things could have and should have been done better if D&D just asked for more episodes and let most of the plot threads cook better. I tried to like season 8 and there are still some story decisions I'd defend to this day, but those decisions needed much much better development. Almost nothing ended up feeling earned. And going back to watch such a comprehensive waste of potential just seems like a miserable way to kill 8 hours of my life. The problem is knowing there will never be a better ending to the show than what S8 gave us, it kinda sours rewatches of any of GOT for me.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

Love the first 4 seasons. Then it started to notably decline. Noticed it at the time. It was still watchable, but just not the same.

Dorne was introduced in season 5 correct? There were some bad episodes based there!

edit. just read the post above and Dorne was in season 5.

Reactions: Andrei79

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Love the first 4 seasons. Then it started to notably decline. Noticed it at the time. It was still watchable, but just not the same.

Dorne was introduced in season 5 correct? There were some bad episodes based there!

edit. just read the post above and Dorne was in season 5.

I feel like the was a total of 20 minutes of Dorne in the entire series..

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

Felt a lot longer!

Also I know Bronn became a fan favourite on the TV show, but it was too much imo. A case of less is more would have been better with this character on the TV show. Should have stuck with the books more. And lol at making him master of coin at the end. Made absolutely no sense. :laugh:

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
The Faith arc was brutally mishandled.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Season 6 still banged and I'll stand by that.

7 started to suck and 8 was just depressing. 5 was also pretty dull, I liked 6 the most of the last 4 seasons.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

However many minutes it was, it was almost all lame and tonally inconsistent. Most of the plot threads are dull, but you basically need season 5 to set up key events for the endgame. At least season 8 you can skip and make up your own stories for how it actually should have ended.

Season 6 still banged and I'll stand by that.

7 started to suck and 8 was just depressing. 5 was also pretty dull, I liked 6 the most of the last 4 seasons.

I think I'd agree. 6 felt like a step up from 5 even though there were a number of writing flaws. I still enjoyed 7 for the most part in terms of pure entertainment but that's where squishing the episode count down to rush to the end really started showing the bigger cracks. Like I don't hate the early relationship between Jon and Dany, but it didn't have room to breathe. Then going north of the wall to capture a Wight, it's got a lot of fun moments, but I can't pretend that there isn't a lot of logic numbing going on with the whole thing.

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
For the Battle of Winterfell episode in Season 8, I think in a vacuum that episode was very entertaining. But when you consider it's supposed to be the culmination of a series-long arc, it was very underwhelming.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
However many minutes it was, it was almost all lame and tonally inconsistent. Most of the plot threads are dull, but you basically need season 5 to set up key events for the endgame. At least season 8 you can skip and make up your own stories for how it actually should have ended.

I think I'd agree. 6 felt like a step up from 5 even though there were a number of writing flaws. I still enjoyed 7 for the most part in terms of pure entertainment but that's where squishing the episode count down to rush to the end really started showing the bigger cracks. Like I don't hate the early relationship between Jon and Dany, but it didn't have room to breathe. Then going north of the wall to capture a Wight, it's got a lot of fun moments, but I can't pretend that there isn't a lot of logic numbing going on with the whole thing.
I refuse to rewatch the show because of the ending so my season 8 memory is super foggy, but season 7’s Beyond the Wall is pretty easily the worst episode of the series for me. So much eye rolling stupidity packed into those 70 minutes.

Reactions: I am not exposed

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
For the Battle of Winterfell episode in Season 8, I think in a vacuum that episode was very entertaining. But when you consider it's supposed to be the culmination of a series-long arc, it was very underwhelming.
Loved that ep. Thought it was done well, the short lead up and the whole battle was like an entire episode, not sure what more they could do. It was never going to live up to a series long arc but my heart was pumping for 45 minutes straight the first time i watched it.

(Maybe they could have made it a little brighter, i remember it being a little dark)

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I refuse to rewatch the show because of the ending so my season 8 memory is super foggy, but season 7’s Beyond the Wall is pretty easily the worst episode of the series for me. So much eye rolling stupidity packed into those 70 minutes.
I just turned my mind off to the dumb shit. The dumb shit is still dumb but I can at least enjoy the spectacle.

Then I'd sit there and think about what I watched and be disappointed by the logical leaps.

In any case, that doesn't bother me as much as a lot of the shit in Season 8. I chalk it up to D&D thinking they were more clever than they actually are with this plan that allowed them to have a big action set piece and then have all the big players share a scene. It's dumb, but I feel like half baked plot resolutions in the last season are more disappointing.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I just turned my mind off to the dumb shit. The dumb shit is still dumb but I can at least enjoy the spectacle.

Then I'd sit there and think about what I watched and be disappointed by the logical leaps.

In any case, that doesn't bother me as much as a lot of the shit in Season 8. I chalk it up to D&D thinking they were more clever than they actually are with this plan that allowed them to have a big action set piece and then have all the big players share a scene. It's dumb, but I feel like half baked plot resolutions in the last season are more disappointing.
Season 8 stunk and was definitely worse than 7, I just find Beyond the Wall to be especially horrible.

I actually think Season 7 had potential if not for how short it was and how f***ing dumb Beyond the Wall was. The Field of Fire is up there with any of the show’s greatest moments IMO.

It’s pretty tragic really. GoT was my all time favorite show that I would do a full rewatch of multiple times a year. Ever since the finale aired I don’t think I’ve watched a single episode.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Season 8 stunk and was definitely worse than 7, I just find Beyond the Wall to be especially horrible.

I actually think Season 7 had potential if not for how short it was and how f***ing dumb Beyond the Wall was. The Field of Fire is up there with any of the show’s greatest moments IMO.

It’s pretty tragic really. GoT was my all time favorite show that I would do a full rewatch of multiple times a year. Ever since the finale aired I don’t think I’ve watched a single episode.
Definitely understandable. I guess for me I can just shrug and be somewhat okay with the show getting Marvelized as long as it pushes the plot forward. Agreed on the field of fire.

And I'm somewhat the same. I started a rewatch and got to about halfway through season 2 and started watching something newer. Part of me still wants to go back and, like I said, skip season 8 and pretend it never happened but the bit I did watch just left me disappointed at how excellent it used to be and how it ended with a wet fart.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Loved that ep. Thought it was done well, the short lead up and the whole battle was like an entire episode, not sure what more they could do. It was never going to live up to a series long arc but my heart was pumping for 45 minutes straight the first time i watched it.

(Maybe they could have made it a little brighter, i remember it being a little dark)
When Melasandre lit the Dothraki swords ,one of the greatest scenes ever..just epic.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
It felt weird to me as well that only the last season received criticism, as the second half of the show steadily abandoned plot development. I feel there is probably a lot of overlap between those fans and those who named their child Khaleesi.

Reactions: Cas

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Agreed. I thought s7 was pretty sick actually. You have to look past all the “fast traveling” and some creative decisions like Jaime dodging a dragon attack being pulled into a shalllow lake and still surviving.

But the season was mostly awesome in terms of the events unfolding. Westeros changes a lot. I hated the High Sparrow narrative completely and thought they could’ve skipped all of that AND Ramsay Bolton in general. Big dip in s5 & s6.

Overall still an awesome show.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The Long Night was a rough one because the military strategy was insane and there were way too many scenes where main characters were swarmed by zombies and the camera would just cut away so they’d be ok. The Arya thing is whatever, if she was going to kill anyone it should’ve been Cersei, but I thought it was kinda cool she killed the NK.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Agreed. I thought s7 was pretty sick actually. You have to look past all the “fast traveling” and some creative decisions like Jaime dodging a dragon attack being pulled into a shalllow lake and still surviving.

But the season was mostly awesome in terms of the events unfolding. Westeros changes a lot. I hated the High Sparrow narrative completely and thought they could’ve skipped all of that AND Ramsay Bolton in general. Big dip in s5 & s6.

Overall still an awesome show.

High Sparrow started off good, but they did let that drag on a bit longer than they should have, though their demise was absolutely epic. (Another one of the best eps from the series).

Thought Ramsay was the best villain in the series, aside from Joffrey of course, so I didn't mind that storyline.

Probably the only storyline I felt was slow and boring was the 3 eyed raven stuff (but the Hodar ep was really cool).

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
The Long Night was a rough one because the military strategy was insane and there were way too many scenes where main characters were swarmed by zombies and the camera would just cut away so they’d be ok. The Arya thing is whatever, if she was going to kill anyone it should’ve been Cersei, but I thought it was kinda cool she killed the NK.
Jaime and Sam surviving that episode has to be some of the worst plot armor of all time. We saw wights overrun and tear experienced fighters to shreds but somehow the one handed guy and the fat guy that could never fight made it out of the pile? OK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad