Revisiting the Smid trade

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
:deadhorse

Smid was shopped to the entire league.

Smid sucks. Overpaid, too much term. During a cap crunch year where twenty two teams were over their budget or cap and using injury allowance, or within a mill of the cap.

Anyone who thinks smids value was going to INCREASE playing on this team and in this system...needs to join a cult somehwere far far away from society.

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton

Smid sucks. Overpaid, too much term. During a cap crunch year where twenty two teams were over their budget or cap and using injury allowance, or within a mill of the cap.

Anyone who thinks smids value was going to INCREASE playing on this team and in this system...needs to join a cult somehwere far far away from society.
Just so true

SoftDumps

Oct 11, 2013
Do I really give a **** what kind of icetime the village idiot gave Smid? Do you think that just because Eakins thought he was a #6 d-man that makes a lick of difference?

Here's some info:
Smid played the 3rd most minutes here in 2012/13 and was a -1.

Here's a fact:
If Eakins was correct in assessing that Smid sucked and that his minutes were better off going to someone else, something would most definitely have happened when he took those minutes away. That thing did not happen, but I'm not going to tell you what it was. You have to guess.

Here's a question:
How well was the $3.25M spent on Ference?

Guy thinks Devan Dubnyk is a legit #1 goaltender. Forgive me if I don't take your talent assessments at face value, lol.

Hartley had the Flames overachieve this year (as much as a 27th place finish can be overachieving) with Smid playing #6 minutes as well. When your talent assessments fly in the face of how actual NHL coaches use players in nearly every instance, it's time to reassess how you are evaluating talent, tbh.

Also, when you said "here's a fact" you didn't even state a fact lol.

As to the Ference question, it was spent better than the money on Smid for damn sure. Maybe not the best contract but miles better than Ladi Daddy's. Ference at least made a couple passes out of the zone this year, instead of hammering everything off the glass before the puck exploded in his face. I'm not saying Ference earned every penny, or that he is a great defender, but he is definitely better than Smid and he makes a tad less dough.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
We all know the Oilers D lacked toughness (among other things). But it was more than the zero you complained about ;)

With that said, give me 6 guys who play positionally sound D, always seem to come away from the boards with the puck and constantly clear their zone with possession, and I won't care how tough they are.
You still need someone to be the boss in front of the net. It doesn't matter how positionally sound 6 Larssons are if they can't get where they want to go.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
Guy thinks Devan Dubnyk is a legit #1 goaltender. Forgive me if I don't take your talent assessments at face value, lol.

Hartley had the Flames overachieve this year (as much as a 27th place finish can be overachieving) with Smid playing #6 minutes as well. When your talent assessments fly in the face of how actual NHL coaches use players in nearly every instance, it's time to reassess how you are evaluating talent, tbh.

As to the Ference question, it was spent better than the money on Smid for damn sure. Maybe not the best contract but miles better than Ladi Daddy's. Ference at least made a couple passes out of the zone this year, instead of hammering everything off the glass before the puck exploded in his face. I'm not saying Ference earned every penny, or that he is a great defender, but he is definitely better than Smid and he makes a tad less dough.
It's a fact, you just don't know the difference between your misguided opinions and reality.

I know you don't even believe half the things you say.

SoftDumps

Oct 11, 2013
It's a fact, you just don't know the difference between your misguided opinions and reality.

I know you don't even believe half the things you say.

Comes back with...condescending post containing nothing of substance to support delusional position. Never change man, your insightful posts are so welcome here. :shakehead

My misguided opinions include what? Devan Dubnyk is not an NHLer? Smid is a bottom pairing D because...well, he is one on some of the worst teams in the NHL? Please, tell me again how DD is an NHL starter and Smid is worth every penny of his 3.5 mill. :biglaugh:

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Not sure why people thought this. Oil had lots and lots of cap room.

I remember doing the math at the time, and it was actually necessary due to the injuries at the time and the fact they still had to account for potential bonuses, or else they wouldn't have been able to dress a full roster (I believe injuries at the time were Hall, Perron, Joensu, Schultz, Bachman, Pitlick, Belov). Now they could have tried to find other ways of opening up the space, (or waited a few more days for Hall and Perron to return), but they likely saw him as the asset they were most likely to move on from at year end that was least likely to increase in value and moved him. Keep in mind with the additional years his value wouldn't increase at the deadline like the UFAs typically do (but didn't this year for whatever reason)

Seeing as he is playing at the bottom of the Flames roster, I'm not so sure it was a terrible move. Certainly they didn't get full value, but they would have had to move him this summer anyways and who's to say his value would be any better today (likely just mid-round pick vs. Horak who may actually be able to play next year).

Last edited:

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Wasn't a lot of that trade Smid for Bryz? I mean we traded him to clear cap space for Bryz didn't we?

Nah that's just something a few people latched onto because Mctavish talked about the trade opening up cap room. He wasn't talking about cap room for right then he was talking long term. If Smid is going to be a bottom pairing guy you don't need that kind of money tied up in him on multiple years, especially when Petry and Schultz are needing new contracts going forward and you still need to add some good pieces to your team.

sandhu111

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton, AB
Smid was basically phony tough....like this guy....:

your joking right? i agree that he's not worth his contract and maybe is a bottom pairing defensemen but one thing i don't agree is that he's phony tough he has his teammates back out there and he doesn't back down from fights, he was a good character guy. lets not make stuff up about him to make him sound bad just cause he's not on our team anymore

McDeathbyCheerios*

The info he gave is funny.
With #3 in minutes Smid was a - 1... We gave him less minutes and he dropped to a - 4 just on his time here - 10 overall for the year. Gave him less responsibilites and his +/- got worse.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
your joking right? i agree that he's not worth his contract and maybe is a bottom pairing defensemen but one thing i don't agree is that he's phony tough he has his teammates back out there and he doesn't back down from fights, he was a good character guy. lets not make stuff up about him to make him sound bad just cause he's not on our team anymore

Ya I was joking around a bit but I've always had a problem with people calling him a warrior. Jason Smith is a warrior, to me Ladi is a wannabe. Has he ever won a fight? You had to cross your fingers every time he fought hoping he wouldn't get Buchbergered. I can't even remember many memorable hits he has laid out. Lets be honest he doesn't scare anybody out there. If he had been Sean Avery wouldn't have felt safe to lay him out a couple seasons back. I'll give him credit for showing up on occasion and coming out second best.:handclap: The lovable loser as I've said in the past. I guess when your level of toughness is being compared next to the likes of Gilbert, Petry, Whitney...etc you come out looking pretty good.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Ya I was joking around a bit but I've always had a problem with people calling him a warrior. Jason Smith is a warrior, to me Ladi is a wannabe. Has he ever won a fight? I can't even remember many memorable hits he has laid out. Lets be honest he doesn't scare anybody out there. If he had been Sean Avery wouldn't have felt safe to lay him out a couple seasons back. I'll give him credit for showing up on occasion and coming out second best.:handclap: The lovable loser as I've said in the past. I guess when your level of toughness is being compared next to the likes of Gilbert, Petry, Whitney...etc you come out looking pretty good.

Smid was more Staios than he was Smith. Blocked a lot of shots, hit people when they needed to be hit, got into fights but seldom did any damage, and forced the puck up the boards into a give-away or icing.

Holy cow, Smid was a lot like Staios now that I think of it.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Smid was more Staios than he was Smith. Blocked a lot of shots, hit people when they needed to be hit, got into fights but seldom did any damage, and forced the puck up the boards into a give-away or icing.

And they go down as I believe the only two Oilers ever to get traded to Calgary from Edmonton.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012

Ya he definitely had some Staios qualities. I think Staios in his last few years was basically Smid at his peak. So I would say Ladi is equivalent to a washed up Staios. :handclap:

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
Comes back with...condescending post containing nothing of substance to support delusional position. Never change man, your insightful posts are so welcome here. :shakehead

My misguided opinions include what? Devan Dubnyk is not an NHLer? Smid is a bottom pairing D because...well, he is one on some of the worst teams in the NHL? Please, tell me again how DD is an NHL starter and Smid is worth every penny of his 3.5 mill. :biglaugh:
Go wash MacT's car softdumps. You have nothing intelligent to add to this conversation aside from "they played really bad under eakins".

If your light finally comes on nobody else will even remember this topic.:badidea:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

How do you know Smid was shopped to the league? Elliot Friedman was on Sportsnet days after the trade saying that NONE of the GM's he talked to knew he was even on the block. This is why so many fans were upset about the trade. There was the perception that the Oilers didn't do their due diligence on this deal. Considering how this organization fills their open positions without ever conducting interviews, it isn't so hard to believe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad