Revisiting Nico vs Nolan - 2nd Voting

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
The Vegas rumors don't compute for me. First off, the source isn't exactly McKenzie-level. Second, they need all the picks they can get to build up there pipeline. Making a move like this makes no sense for them.

As others have said, AMac is not THAT big of an issue to where you'd dump this pick because of that. Non-factor.

In the end, I trust Hextall 100% here. You know he wants his Brandon kid. So if Hexy doesn't end up with him, it's because of the medicals or he flat out got a trade offer he considered an overpay.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
based on the opinion that I don't believe Vegas would trade additional 1st round picks to move up 5 spots in a weak draft.

IMO they are much more likely to move #6 + a player they selected on our behalf to move up 5 spots.

My overall point is that I don't believe there is anything close to a king's ransom to be had.

Which is why I don't think there is a trade to be made. Hextall will want more than Vegas is willing to give up. Hextall is not worried about dumping Amac this season, we have the cap space to handle it.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I have watched plenty of Brandon games, Nolan is a good skater. He isn't an elite skater like Nico, but his skating is good. He has really good top end speed and once he has a season or two without injuries he should gain some explosiveness back that he lost from all those groin injuries.

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
Which is why I don't think there is a trade to be made. Hextall will want more than Vegas is willing to give up. Hextall is not worried about dumping Amac this season, we have the cap space to handle it.

I agree with this statement, however, this "weak draft" topic is complete nonsense.
Prior to Patrick' injury, he was projected to be franchise caliber, frankly because his production at that age and size was unheard of. Nothing has changed, just he didn't play much during his draft year. I remember hearing Matthews wasn't the real deal and Laine is gonna come in and take it from him...yeah people tend to jump all over those world tournaments, only to completely ignore the fact that most GMs all publically state that they do not put too much stock in the tournaments and prefer to look over several years of tracking...

This draft lacks overall depth, but not devoid of high-end talent. All these negative people want a pat on the head for bringing everyone back to reality. Only problem is, they typically are just regurgitating whatever they heard that week on twitter. Put the time in and you won't care about people's opinions as much.

I have watched plenty of Brandon games, Nolan is a good skater. He isn't an elite skater like Nico, but his skating is good. He has really good top end speed and once he has a season or two without injuries he should gain some explosiveness back that he lost from all those groin injuries.

Agree with this. I think Nico is also a special player, idk if he's the safest choice for #1, but I wouldn't argue if my team took him at #1. But if the rumors are true, we end up with an Elite, Power-Forward, Playmaking Center -

Also apologies, if it came off like I was stating people on here, are misinformed. This board has some exceptional opinions.

An example of how misinformed people are..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRRV_y3ADvE&t=6505s

Top prospects game...Everyone praises Nico for his performance in this game because of that one (sick nasty) goal he scored. He played a very good game. Guess what? Patrick played better, also had 3 points and dominated in the 3rd to ensure victory for his team. Patrick's team won, not Nico's....most people didn't watch the game, just Nico's goal. Ultimately it's the media's fault, they wanted to create something interesting. It worked like a charm.

Last edited:

MillerTime2181

Nov 3, 2010
IMHO, I get the feeling that despite all the experts mocks/rankings that with Shero's recent comments, the Devils will actually be picking Nolan 1st overall. Personally Patrick is the pick I want, so I'd be briefl, slightly a little bummed out, but Nico isn't a consolation prize- provided, of course, that all this talk of trading the #2 is just noise afterall.

HighOFFHockey

Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
I've been comparing Nolan Patrick to Jamie Benn...turns out it's his favorite player. I've been saying for a couple years, this team is missing a Jamie Benn that can use his power and skill, but has elite playmaking skills. I love Simmonds and he's Elite when it comes to being a Power Forward, but the playmaking skills are not his best asset.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/j...patrick-hopes-father-footsteps-192405560.html

Note: I'm anticipating getting Patrick, so I'm excited about him. I am equally as excited about Nico, but if he's a Devil I'm essentially watching him die. lol

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Patrick actually has a pretty powerful burst in tight. He's not quick and shifty with the edges like Nico -- whose top end speed is actually a bit overrated -- but he can surprise and pounce in short spaces, combined with his stellar instincts and long reach. He's not as dangerous off the rush, but in the zone his skating is fine. It's more his top end speed up ice that needs work. His stride is a bit short IMO. That can hopefully be worked on, health provided.

HighOFFHockey

Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
Patrick actually has a pretty powerful burst in tight. He's not quick and shifty with the edges like Nico -- whose top end speed is actually a bit overrated -- but he can surprise and pounce in short spaces, combined with his stellar instincts and long reach. He's not as dangerous off the rush, but in the zone his skating is fine. It's more his top end speed up ice that needs work. His stride is a bit short IMO. That can hopefully be worked on, health provided.

Yeah I can agree with this.

Nico is a very interesting player I would not be surprised at all if we end up drafting him at 2 on Friday. I don't see a difference between the two and if there is one its NOT in Nico's favor. Look at the expansion draft, name one media guy who saw PEB get taken? GMs rarely talk about what they actually want to take.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad