Revisit the first round of the 1996 NHL draft (rank the top five players)

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Overall we all know Chara is the best player from that draft, but he wasn't a 1st rounder, he was a 3rd rounder. How on earth a 6'9" defenseman was overlooked in an era where if you were 6'4" they took you
Because he was awful and awkward...which he brought into the NHL with him. It took him a while to figure it out.

Not that Central Scouting is anything legit, it's just a watch list...but he wasn't even listed in 1996 or 1997 as far as I know...I'd be curious to know how many teams even had this guy on their radar at the time...

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Because he was awful and awkward...which he brought into the NHL with him. It took him a while to figure it out.

Not that Central Scouting is anything legit, it's just a watch list...but he wasn't even listed in 1996 or 1997 as far as I know...I'd be curious to know how many teams even had this guy on their radar at the time...
I can remember in the fall of 1997 he made his debut in the NHL and the novelty was that he was 6'9". He was awkward in the beginning but he did make an NHL roster spot, even albeit with the Islanders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad