Reviewing the Panthers’ 2012 draft class

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
Another brilliant piece of work by the POS that is Scott Luce.

Nothing has bothered me more during this offseason than when Las vegas was making their picks and Sportsnet was non-stop talking about how Florida stupidly let Luce and his boys go and how Florida made a mistake missing out on this draft expert who worked for the org for so many years

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Another brilliant piece of work by the POS that is Scott Luce.
As much criticism Luce deserves for his work over the years, the 2012 class really isn't a year where you can poke fun at him. The first rounder became an NHL player and not a bad one either, we didn't have a second rounder (Versteeg trade IIRC) and the later rounds are always a complete crapshoot on whether they pan out or not.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Nothing has bothered me more during this offseason than when Las vegas was making their picks and Sportsnet was non-stop talking about how Florida stupidly let Luce and his boys go and how Florida made a mistake missing out on this draft expert who worked for the org for so many years

The Canadian sports news want to stick it to the Panthers mgmt/ownership in every turn they get, regardless how stupid the argument is and what has transpired since the GG debacle.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ

And top to bottom during this years draft, we had one of our best ones in a long time. Hmmm, I wonder why :laugh:

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
You dont know that yet.

Yea.

Encouraging signs so far, but **** can flip in an instant or players not pan out when given a NHL shot.

Hopefully, the new crew bats a better average on landing NHL regulars, in any capacity.

Not too much to talk about in 2012, other than hopefully Matheson lives up to some of the hype given.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
The Canadian sports news want to stick it to the Panthers mgmt/ownership in every turn they get, regardless how stupid the argument is and what has transpired since the GG debacle.

This is true. But, it also dates back to Bettman hate-on for him adding Sunbelt expansion/people all over Canada wanting Quebec to get a team (makes little sense to me as Western Canadian hearing in my younger years Quebec wants to be its own country and seperate from Canada). I've become numb to it up here instead of getting angry about it at every turn. The Panthers have not helped themselves either besides a couple division crowns.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Matheson turned out well I guess. He is an NHL player. The next couple of seasons will verify just how valuable he can be or not be. The rest of the picks were a disaster. Plus, more reasons why the T-Birds stink. This draft couldn't even get one or two for depth in the AHL. Borderline pathetic.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Looking back, we only had 5 picks that year.

And one is an improving NHL defenseman.

20% success for a draft is actually really damn good.

Notable players picked in the later rounds are Fredy Andersen, Gostisbehere, Athanasiou

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014

Notable players picked in the later rounds are Fredy Andersen, Gostisbehere, Athanasiou

Uhhhhh matt murray, jaccob slavin, Parayko

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013

But says a lot about your scouting staff if you're consistently only hitting on 1st rd picks.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Luce's later drafts were pretty good, he really should have been fired in 2006 thugh,
not 2016 :laugh:

TBF he had a fantastic draft, Vegas did very well.

Mellanby27

Oct 15, 2016
Florida
Luce was terrible. I know we had a very limited scouting department, but anyone who scouted the 2010 draft saw that Tarasenko should have been drafted before bloody Bjugstad. I screamed at my television when we did not draft him. The trades attached to the trade that led to Bjugstad were all busts. Have a nice day.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Luce

^His 2013/2015 draft years will probably end up as his best depth wise but I have a feeling Tallon and Mike Santos controlled the 1st and 2nd rounders from 2010-13. Santos was instrumental in the drafting of Matheson/McCoshen. Tallon then took over the 1st/2nd rounds completely and smartly listened to Finnish scout Kekalainen to pick Barkov. He then had a no brainer in Ekblad and jumped all over Hawryluk to my chagrin. Joyce/Werier smartly deferred to Kekalainen for Borgstrom. Tallon's prints are all over Tippett and I'm not a fan.

Luce relied alot on Erin Grinnell's say as he was director of amateur scouting with Luce since 2003 right up until they both were fired and then hired by Vegas. Those two had the main responsibility in selecting talent from 2003-09 before Tallon arrived and they only produced one bona fide top 6 NHL player after the 1st round in Booth (jury still out on Dadanov, Donskoi & Hyman). Let's see how they do for 3 years or so. Luce/Grinnell and Tallon likely collaborated on Crouse which set in motion the gong show power struggle initially won by Joyce/Werier.

I like the present scouting staff immensely. If Tallon can keep his paws off and let McCabe and Co do their thing, we are in very good hands going forward. Incidentally, LV did have a fine draft as they were smart enough to pick my guy Suzuki who I feel will be a much better player than Tippett. Noting Luce's history and a demotion in authority from Director of Player Personnel with the Cats to Director of Amateur Scouting (same position held by Grinnell with the Cats) it's unclear as to what kind of influence he has on draft picks in LV with Vaughn Karpan in charge of final decisions as Director of Player Personnel. :)

Last edited:

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Luce's later drafts were pretty good, he really should have been fired in 2006 thugh,
not 2016 :laugh:

TBF he had a fantastic draft, Vegas did very well.

Yeah he should've been gone in '06.

Taticek, Stewart, McArdle, Olesz, etc. all just terrible picks.

Look at his 2003 draft, just pathetic. He should've given his paychecks back.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Yeah he should've been gone in '06.

Taticek, Stewart, McArdle, Olesz, etc. all just terrible picks.

Look at his 2003 draft, just pathetic. He should've given his paychecks back.

To be fair about picking Olesz, that draft was terrible outside the first two picks. And the thing that sucked about Olesz was his deal/season ending hang nails

Wheeler was way before our pick, Stafford went much later than Olesz, and Radulov would of became a firefighter in Siberia over joining us lol.

I thought the first round was generally handled by the GM?

lIRC Keenan having a heavy presence in 2003.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I thought the first round was generally handled by the GM?

lIRC Keenan having a heavy presence in 2003.
They certainly get the final say and the notoriety because of their position in the organization. Some GM's defer totally to the scouting staff in the 1st or 2nd rounds if they feel confident in the group as a whole and the Director of Player Personnel. McPhee really didn't have time to handle any of the amateur drafting chores as he was up to his ears with the expansion draft this year. I would expect in the future he will have input and decision making authority on the early picks. :)

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
The thing about the draft itself is it's not just about the draft, it's about draft and develop. They go hand in hand.
The Panthers have been a train wreck on the ice as an NHL team. Any young player put in that environment is behind the 8 ball.
Some of it's on the players, some players were just bad, but some of it's also on the team and the environment they put the young players in.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
The thing about the draft itself is it's not just about the draft, it's about draft and develop. They go hand in hand.
The Panthers have been a train wreck on the ice as an NHL team. Any young player put in that environment is behind the 8 ball.
Some of it's on the players, some players were just bad, but some of it's also on the team and the environment they put the young players in.

You know, I'm glad you brought this up. I'm sure many of us daydream about picking certain players in the past like Tarensenko, Bergeron, Kopitar etc., but we passed on them. But would they have made it with the Panthers organisation? Were they talented enough to succeed no matter which NHL organisation they went to? Or would they have not have had the same successful careers if they had gone to certain organisations?

You normally how the Edmonton organisation ruined Yakupov. Is this entirely true? If he had gone to Pittsburgh, Detroit, Chicago, would he have had more chance of succeeding?

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
You know, I'm glad you brought this up. I'm sure many of us daydream about picking certain players in the past like Tarensenko, Bergeron, Kopitar etc., but we passed on them. But would they have made it with the Panthers organisation? Were they talented enough to succeed no matter which NHL organisation they went to? Or would they have not have had the same successful careers if they had gone to certain organisations?

You normally how the Edmonton organisation ruined Yakupov. Is this entirely true? If he had gone to Pittsburgh, Detroit, Chicago, would he have had more chance of succeeding?
Yeah, I think a good example of the opposite is Saad. It was an excellent situation for him to land in. Fowler had a similar situation. Just two examples.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad