Votes: 6 12.8%

Votes: 1 2.1%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
No vote from me, I just wanted to say I congratulate all the draft picks.

I hope the team will stream a little from the prospect-camp, as in the scrimmage or something.

Reactions: Jakey53

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
agree...they really do need to stream some of the prospect camp. I'm planning on going Day 2, can't go Day 1. Hoping someone will be there to post video

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Idk what I'd grade. I dont know most prospects well enough later on to know what the heck I'm talking about. So just based on the 1st rounder... I think Soderstrom will be good. If they felt they couldn't get him without trading up then they did what they had to.

Would be nice to see some really good success! Also loving the Italian names as well!

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I was able to reconstruct the whole staff and bring some young guys in who had a lot of energy and passion.

Great... Our team doesn't like on-the-job development -- -- unless it's in the scouting department or GM position.

Looking forward to seeing this play out...

Snarky Coyote

Sponsor
May 3, 2009
Now with more snark
I don't know how you judge a draft right after it happens. I wish I could say that they blew the hell out of the 240th pick OA but I am not nearly knowledgeable enough to even bother after the second round. I was at the draft party for OEL and people were pissed that he was selected. I also remember how happy people were with Blake Wheeler. So um can we keep the poll open for 3 years please :D

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
We all freaking lost it for the Wheeler pick. This forum was a fun place that day.

The worst part though was getting # on by all the other fan bases for that pick, only to see him ripen somewhere that we couldn't even enjoy the taste of the fruit first.

A bit like the Strome experience, only Strome was a consensus top five pick whole Wheeler came out of nowhere seemingly.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't know how you judge a draft right after it happens. I wish I could say that they blew the hell out of the 240th pick OA but I am not nearly knowledgeable enough to even bother after the second round. I was at the draft party for OEL and people were pissed that he was selected. I also remember how happy people were with Blake Wheeler. So um can we keep the poll open for 3 years please :D
Exactly. No one know, even the so called experts. Like Ken Holland said " no body knows, these are 18 yo kids".

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Like a 6 or 7. I like our first 3 picks. Also like Nussbaumer from a value standpoint. I like that we are finally looking at Russia and did so with two picks.

Carolina, Vegas, Minnesota. Couple of the teams who I can think of who did well.

Reactions: DoanStopBelievin

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Corey Pronman of The Athletic gives us a B minus....

Arizona Coyotes: B-minus

The Coyotes had a lot of picks and brought in a large quantity of talent. I had John Farinacci, Alexannder Daryin and Matias Maccelli on my list, while Aku Raty, Anthony Romano and Valentin Nussbaumer missed my cut, but I think are depth. Victor Soderstrom is an interesting prospect. I had a lot of debates with scouts about him through the season. Some, like me, think his skating is average, while others think it’s high-end. If the latter is true, I buy the draft slot; but I have some mild skepticism. Soderstrom will help the Coyotes, though, and possibly soon. I think Maccelli, Daryin and Farinacci all could reasonably play for the team, as well, in lower roles. Raty is an interesting shot in the dark. I know some scouts who think he’s going to play, but I wasn’t convinced.

(He also gives an assessment to each of the Coyotes’ picks - for subscribers)

Reactions: MIG

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
volume-11-smushed.jpg

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Scott Wheeler of The Athletic rated us as “Overtime Winners”
———
Arizona Coyotes

I was honestly pretty low on Matias Macelli early in the year, and questioned the ability of his skill to translate if he didn’t learn to play a little faster. But then I watched him more and more and he just kept producing, before finishing at No. 69 on my final ranking. He has middle-six upside and that could be real value at No. 98.

He wasn’t the only Coyotes pick I liked either. John Farinacci went exactly where I expected he would and has a chance to be a good player if the Coyotes can play the long game. And Anthony Romano and Valentin Nussbaumer were worthwhile gambles late in the draft.
—————

Reactions: MIG

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I didn't do any research this off-season, but I'm overall fine with the draft. The thing I'm happy to see is that we seem to be focusing more outside of the U.S./Canada. As we improve, we'll be picking later and later, so this is probably a good "trial run" on the "new" drafting procedure. We won't know for at least 3-4 years whether or not we did decently, but I guess I'm somewhat hopeful.

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Soderstrom is a fine prospect. Soderstrom was not a reach at 11th. There isn’t a staff in the league that wouldn’t trade 14+45 for their #3. All of that is fine. The bummer is that Soderstrom isn’t going to score 30 goals in a season for the Coyotes. Which would be okay, except that it’s also true of Hayton. And POJ. And Chychrun. And Raanta and Stepan. And probably Keller.

No, you don’t draft for need. But you should aim to draft some f***ing goals. Because those are ALWAYS a need in the game of hockey.

Smart NHL teams often use their first round picks on kids they hope will someday score 30 goals for their team. Chayka hasn’t bothered yet. That worries me.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Soderstrom is a fine prospect. Soderstrom was not a reach at 11th. There isn’t a staff in the league that wouldn’t trade 14+45 for their #3. All of that is fine. The bummer is that Soderstrom isn’t going to score 30 goals in a season for the Coyotes. Which would be okay, except that it’s also true of Hayton. And POJ. And Chychrun. And Raanta and Stepan. And probably Keller.

No, you don’t draft for need. But you should aim to draft some ****ing goals. Because those are ALWAYS a need in the game of hockey.

Smart NHL teams often use their first round picks on kids they hope will someday score 30 goals for their team. Chayka hasn’t bothered yet. That worries me.

Don’t need 30 goals when you defense the f*** out of your opponents

09-roll-safe.w700.h700.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad