Reverting Back to the Dead Things?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnz96*

When Illitch was allowed to spend at will, the Wings' were a powerhouse and they had Bowman running things it was attractive for good players to come to Detroit.
Illitch can't spend at will anymore, they are no longer a powerhouse (they still could have been if the GM didn't always sign too many mediocre redundant players and if he fired the idiot coach) and instead of Bowman they have a moron running things.
Add to that the economy and crime in Detroit, there is no reason for a good player to come to Detroit unless he is overpayed (which would hinder the team's ability to put good teammates out there for him).
Not only that but players who were shunned and had their income negatively affected (Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco) by the mismanagement of their careers will not sign hometown discounts and are probably looking forward to becoming UFAs so they can leave ala Hudler and Filppula.
If something isn't done soon another Dead Things era looks to be looming on the horizon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Where do you get that Illitch is unwilling to spend money on the Red Wings from?

Yeah he's not able to spend as much anymore, because the league implemented a salary cap.

We actually spent over the cap last year. Holland being bad at his job has nothing to do with the Illitch family's unwillingness to spend money. Mostly because there is none of that.

Johnz96*

Where do you get that Illitch is unwilling to spend money on the Red Wings from?

Yeah he's not able to spend as much anymore, because the league implemented a salary cap.

We actually spent over the cap last year. Holland being bad at his job has nothing to do with the Illitch family's unwillingness to spend money. Mostly because there is none of that.

I never said Illitch was unwilling to spend, I said unable (because of the cap obviously).
I know that if there was no cap that this team would still be a perennial favourite to win the Cup.

Last edited by a moderator:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Another +100p season coming when everything looks so "bad". Book it.

Loved that "idiot coach", who was the runner-up for Jack Adams. :D

But the sky is gonna fall, at least. Or even something worse has to happen.

Brandel*

success depends primarily on drafting/developing, if all of our prospects flop then sure, don't see it happening

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
The league has implemented rules to make how the Wings ran the team throughout the 90s and early 2000s no longer possible, because there was little parity in the league. That is one of the big reasons Detroit is no longer as good as they used to be.

Also, hard to replace Yzerman, Lidstrom, etc. no matter how rich you are or how many resources you have.

And finally, the Wings management group has clung to these "loyalty", "organizational depth", and "overripe" things so tightly that the present has been slightly compromised in hopes of building a brighter tomorrow.

I just hope that this plan to hold our prospects down for as long as possible pays off. Because if it doesn't, this fan base will be after the Wings in a very ugly way.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
When Illitch was allowed to spend at will, the Wings' were a powerhouse and they had Bowman running things it was attractive for good players to come to Detroit.
Illitch can't spend at will anymore, they are no longer a powerhouse (they still could have been if the GM didn't always sign too many mediocre redundant players and if he fired the idiot coach) and instead of Bowman they have a moron running things.
Add to that the economy and crime in Detroit, there is no reason for a good player to come to Detroit unless he is overpayed (which would hinder the team's ability to put good teammates out there for him).
Not only that but players who were shunned and had their income negatively affected (Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco) by the mismanagement of their careers will not sign hometown discounts and are probably looking forward to becoming UFAs so they can leave ala Hudler and Filppula.
If something isn't done soon another Dead Things era looks to be looming on the horizon.

I love that because Matt Niskanen and Dan Boyle didn't sign with us, we are apparently resigned to being the Dead Things again.

Never mind the fact that we landed the top center on the market last year as well as a high profile target choosing us instead of Boston.

And on the kids... Half the damn reason why that Nosek kid signed with us is the fact that he shares an agent with Jurco and that likes our development system. If guys like Sheahan and Nyquist were so pissed, they wouldn't sign 950k contracts at the start of their RFA clock.

People need to stop with this gloom and doom crap. The Wings are returning a roster that made the playoffs and have what is likely a top ten minor league system in the NHL. I'll let them have a chance before I automatically assume they suck.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
I do think it's funny how people seem to act like Holland is unwilling to pay free agents enough to bring them here or that free agents don't want to come here, etc. Detroit struck out on a ton of guys this year, but in reality, that's something that has happened to them in the past, too, and will happen in the future. They brought in two huge free agents just one year previous to this one, and while they have yet to land that coveted d-man, it's not like players don't WANT to play here... look at how often Detroit is on no-trade clauses.. players don't mind coming over here via trade. Maybe they would choose a New York over Detroit, maybe they will choose family over Detroit in Minny. That doesn't mean Detroit isn't a desirable place to play.

I remember back in the 90s, Detroit was in on Gretzky, and he opted to go elsewhere instead. In '02, if you read the stanley cup book or whatever, Detroit was in on Lindros, and he ended up choosing New York over Detroit. Obviously, that year they signed some pretty big time players, and people overlook it... this isn't the first time Detroit has been rejected. It's just the first time(s) that Detroit absolutely *needed* to land the players that rejected them.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
It comes with the territory of being the most successful franchise for a quarter century, and I get that, but it doesn't make it any less irritating.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Lots of points to go over here.

Babcock is far from an idiot, but even the best coaches only have so long before the message gets tuned out and you need a fresh face. Whether the Wings have reached that point with Babcock is debatable.

As for Holland, he just seems to lack adaptability. No backup plan when Suter and Parise said no, no decisiveness on whether to go young or keep the vets, and no desire to change a strategy that hasn't worked for five years and counting.

The sum of their parts gets worse every year, and while I don't know if it will ever lead to another era of having to give away a car to boost attendance, it certainly (in my opinion) has closed the door on the current management ever winning another Cup...which, to me, is just as awful.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Assuming Detroit doesn't break the franchise record for man games lost for a second consecutive season, we should make the playoffs and improve on our regular season record from last year. Conservative estimates of 60+ games from Datsyuk and Zetterberg, as well as full seasons of Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, and more games from Jurco, plus, hopefully, continued improvements from DeKeyser and Smith, and maybe even good health from Helm and Weiss...

All the doom and gloom is unnecessary. The only way I can see us missing the playoffs is if both Datsyuk and Zetterberg miss a half of a season again.

I challenge someone to look at our opening day roster last year, and look at what it'll most likely be this year, and tell me with a straight face that we haven't improved.

RedWingsForPresident

Nov 20, 2012
Indiana
I mean we are in year 9 of the cap era, Detroit has a Stanley Cup with 3 President's trophies and haven't missed the playoffs in that span. Once they start finishing dead last and everyone starts leaving, I'll call it the return of the Dead Wings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad